• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 11, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfrisk

displayname
Dennis Frisk
Guess what's being discussed over @ the RPM forum this am?

Rotella T 30W oil vs IH #1 30W. It's a new topic, I'm sure more good info will come. Aaron who posted the following is an Amsoil dealer but doesn't let that sway his recommendations. He takes his engine lubrication very seriously.

"You really should not add anything to the oil you are using. There are plenty of additives in it to protect the engine. If there were and engine failure due to the mixing of additives causing a fallout it would void the oil warranty. Rotella is a CJ4 spec oil and still has about 12ppm of ZDDP. It is still a robust oil. I recently posted an oil sample of CIH 30W oil and feel it is a better oil than the Rotella since they have went to CJ4 specs. Most likely the TBN (Total Base Number) which is measure of the additive package in the Rotella is around 8 to start with.

The Case IH is still an off highway CI4+ oil and had the old additive package and still over 11 TBN. This can give longer service live out of the oil. The zinc and phosphorus are up around 15 and 14 ppm also. I feel it's a better oil for the older tractors but am sure they will live a long life on whatever they use."

Dave I'll try again
192142.jpg

192143.jpg

Thanks for all the replys about the dipstick.

Mine measues 12 1/8 from top of cap to low oil mark. It is also stamped with 231496. I think maybe it is a stick from another engine.

I will drain it completely then refill with exacly 1 1/4 quarts. Then measure and remark the dipstick. Eventually I will just get one. There only $11.

Hey

can i start my engine by hooking the battery directly to the starter/generater? ground to engine and hot to the outside post on the s/g.

will this damage my delco/remy?

Lucas, THE MMO FAQ says 4 oz for each 10 gallons. I would not add the MMO directly to the fuel tank on your Cub Cadet. I would add it to a larger gas can. I use 6 gallon cans and I add about 2 oz before I fill the gas can that way it is nicely mixed.

Ref:
RPM oil discussion.. Thanks for the heads up Doc...finally got registered, too....

I've been using Rotella T in the 129 and the 19 horse Kaw on the OT ZTR Tiger Cub...So far (two years), so good. I'd look at the CIH oil, but I did't even know where the closest dealer was since the one in Grand Ledge folded a few years ago until just now - it's 35 miles away...

Lucas, MMO also works as a fuel stabilizer so in my case adding it to the gas can helps to keep that fresh, then when it gets burned in one of my Cub Cadets or in my rototiller, push mower, generator, log splitter, etc. it's ready to do it's trick on reducing carbon deposits and any the other benefit it provides...

GERRY - Glad to see you got RPM's attention. Like here, Oil debates can get interesting. For those looking for it, it's in the IHC Forum, not The Coffee Shop or engine forums.

After I rebuilt my old K241, I used Valvoline 10W40 for a couple years, then ARCO Graphite oil in it for a few years until it became unavailable, then Valvoline Turbo V until it disappeared too, then back to Valvoline 10W40 again until '96 then switched to Rotella T 15W40. As Jim D said, it's a decent oil, popular, and should be widely available for a long time to come. The comments on the RPM forum are about the straight 30W, not 15W40 however which is most common.

Interesting comment, yesterday I sprayed weeds in the yard, used the tired old CC 70 with I think it's a worn-out K181. I dumped a quart of year old 50:1 2-stroke premix in it the other day to get rid of it. And every time the very slight breeze would blow the exhaust back towards me it smelled so much like my old 2-stroke motorcyles, more so the OSSA 250 SDR than the Yamaha RD350. At least the Kohler didn't foul the plug like the bikes always did!

Kraig: Does MMO really work as a fuel stabilizer? My cousin has an airplane and a MMO representative came around. The pilots/owners of the planes pushed him to reveal the "secret" of MMO before they'd trust it in their airplane engines. He told them that MMO is "light mineral oil". I did a quick search for prices on light mineral oil and found them to be no different than what MMO sells for. Could MMO be a combination of light mineral oil and Stabil?
On another note, as soon as one of my poor old 123's (Emma) gets back below the full mark on the dipstick I'm going to start poking the Lucas to her. Bottle (when I find it again) says 25%-50% is acceptable. 60% in really bad engines!
smile.gif

Okay I will ask again, will a ported hydro pump from a 782, work on a 127 with a regular none ported hydro pump?

Frank, when I used my tiller this spring the last time I used it would have been sometime in July or August 2009. It sat all fall and all winter with a full tank of fuel with MMO in it. It fired on the first pull but I was too slow in turning the choke off. It started and ran smoothly on the third pull. When I used my log splitter this spring the last time I used it was May 2009. It sat all summer, all fall and all winter with a full tank of fuel with MMO in it. It started and ran smoothly on the first pull. I believe the can states that it acts as a fuel stabilizer. It could be just mineral oil and Stabil. IMO, MMO smells better than Stabil.

Hey Dennis F.,
So how are your mower deck blades cutting these days?
angel.gif

Could they use a sharpening job yet?
angel.gif

Yep, just in case you were wondering, Kraig and I are still patiently awaiting the moment you pull off your modified 38" mower deck to remove & sharpen your blades...
whistling.gif
- because we remember you PROMISED US <font size="-1">(back on Monday, May 17, 2010 - 12:16 pm)</font> that at such time you'd take a couple of pics of a few of your mower deck modifications and Kraig would post them. Not so much the deeper shroud or the front gage wheels, but primarily the rounded off portion of the left side of the deck (so it will trim closer), how you increased the size of the discharge chute, and how you added a lip flush with the bottom front edge of the mower deck housing (to hold the grass down a bit longer to make a channel for clippings to exit the deck).

Yep, sharp blades make for a nice cut yard!
wink.gif

Ryan Wilke
bubbly.gif

Eric, just curious are you wanting to add hydraulic lift to the 127? Or replace a failed hydrostatic pump? The hydrostatic pump will fit just fine however the linkages are different so you may have to mix and match to make it work.

I am working on the electrical system of a CC 72. It caught on fire and burned some of the wiring. The diagram shows an amp gauge, but there is none on this one. How do I check the charge rate? Thanks in advance

Frank C.,
Go here: http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/site/faq/#other

Under 'Other Uses', the fourth bullet down:

Can I use MMO for winter storage as a fuel stabilizer?
Yes, you can use MMO as a fuel stabilizer. Use 4ozs of Marvel for every 10 gallons of fuel.

I also add MMO to my gasoline as directed.
And I agree with you regarding using LUCAS in the motor oil. I put 10oz. of LUCAS in at my oil change, and top off with LUCAS as it 'disappears' in-between oil changes. I keep the oil level at the top of the hash marks because I mow & travel on some hilly ground - so I need all the oil splash I can get!
icon_eek.gif

By the way, I have noticed a significant reduction in oil consumption since I started using LUCAS Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer in my Kohlers.
thumbsup.gif

Ryan Wilke
coffee.gif

Ryan, on Monday June 7th, Denny did post something about his camera battery being dead when eh went to take photos.

Latest posts

Back