• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Newby with questions

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssheils

displayname
Steve Sheils
Good day Cub Cadet fans!

New to the forum. Was raised on used Cub Cadets and now have my own. So here goes. I bought a used 2072 with the big (heavy) 60 inch deck and a snow blower. The deck does not raise. I took the tunnel cover off and the cylinder ram is moving. The tractor had a bit of a hydro "whine" to it. It took the deck/lift/mule drive off yesterday and changed the Hytran and put on a new filter. I did so through the back cover. The oil looked clean but there was a bit of "jelly" in the case. I cleaned it up best I could. Hydro whine is not as bad after the oil was changed. The ram goes to the end of the stroke. I did find one of the welded pins in the mule drive was broke and missing. I'm beginning to think the lift components are in need of adjustment or may be quite worn. All the pieces of the lift are present and seem to be mounted correctly. I don't have any manuals for the tractor or the attachments. The local cub dealer was not much help for he started the busines in the later 90's- 10 years after this was built. If anyone has suggestions I'm ready to listen.

Steve S., welcome!
groupwave.gif

The lift problem is most likely a sheared Spirol pin on the lift rockshaft. Here's a photo of the underside of a 2072. Note the two lift points for the mower deck, where these attach to the lift rockshaft up inside the frame there is a Spirol pin that can shear.

168034.jpg

Kraig,

Thanks for the quick response. The lift arms do move when the cyclinder is activated but I'll check the pin at the end of the ram also.

Thanks again, Steve

Steve, do they move when the deck is attached? Often when the Spirol pins are sheared the parts will move "as normal" with no load. Another area on the 2072/1872 that gets damaged on the lift is where the lift cylinder attaches to the lift rock shaft, it can bend at that point. This usually happens when using the model 450 snow blower (it's quite heavy!) Hopefully Art Aytay will see your post, he has an 1872 and my parents old 2072 and he had to repair the lift on his 1872. I may have to shoot him an email.

While not related to your lift problem, one thing to check on these is to make sure that the bolts holding the frame to the rear end are tight. They have a habit of coming loose and then if not caught in time they can strip out the threads in the aluminum rear end housing.
icon_eek.gif

Kraig,

Thanks for the info on where the lift cylinder attaches to the lift rock shaft. The mower came with a 2 stage blower which may be a 450. Nothing seemed bent by the lift arm but this weekend I'll take a closer look. Oh, there are a couple bolts loose around the rear end also- where the fender pan attaches. Thanks for the heads up- I'll check the rest of them also.

Kraig-
Thanks for the wake up email..
happy.gif

Steve-
Kraig gives good advice. I would make sure that the lever part of the rockshaft (where the lift cylinder actuates the rockshaft) isn't bent.

I had that happen to my 1872 once...

Keep us posted!

Latest posts

Back