• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

My 73 Refurbish

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, all tractor parts are now painted (except the engine) and the front blade is painted
bubbly.gif
. We're hoping to begin the assembly process soon! I'll be using a new set of narrow Firestone ag tires in the rear and had planned to use an old set of narrow turf tires in front, but realized today they're in worse shape than I thought. Thinking about ordering some new front tires now--not sure what type--open to suggestions. I'm planning to use the tractor with my Haban sickle mower and for occasional tilling and plow days...

Steve....doin some nice work there..cant wait to see the finished product..hope to see you on it plowin!!
thumbsup.gif

Steve - glad things are moving along - been keeping an eye out for progress reports. I attached a pic of my 73 with new tri-ribs (Speedway) in case you like that look. I like em.
261523.jpg

Terry -- Thanks for the post and pic. Still undecided on tires but leaning toward a set of the original narrow style in reasonably good condition. Meeting up with John Boelens Monday night to consider options...

Hey Steve - just put a new set of Firestone Turf Guides on my O and really like em. In talking to the folks at Miller Tire, it sounds like they're the closest you can get to the originals. Good luck with John - he should have several options. BTW - if you're going to Johns house watch out for his dog - think he's trained it to sniff out $100 bills.

Terry--Had a great visit with John (and his friendly dog!) last night...he fixed me up with a good set of original style narrows that'll work just fine. I really like the front ag style tires on John's 73, too...very sharp!

Steve - I like those front ags as well. Say, was going thru a box of stuff and found some blades. They're 10.75" long. Can't remember what you were looking for but worth a look just in case. Here ya go:
261647.jpg

261648.jpg

Terry--Those are the more recent type, not the original type, which are nearly impossible to find anymore. The old type were on the new cast end decks and had a wind wing that was turned upward but not flat. The larger center blade had three holes and the end blades had one.

Making progress on clean up and paint prep of the K161. IH 42" spring trip front blade refurbish is now complete:

261889.jpg

261890.jpg

Man Steve - that dude looks like new!! I'm way behind you on painting but hopefully getting some done soon. Visited a fella yesterday (Mike LaMar) who had stacks of decks so you might run those blades by him. Also saw a NOS 10 hp and some other goodies. Wealth of info! Anyway, keep up the good work and lookin great.

Terry -- I used Mike's wiring harness on all of my projects...great guy and he does great work. Fenders and rear tires are now on the 73 and the seat is almost on (still need to pick up a longer carriage bolt). We also got a first coat of paint on the engine tins yesterday. Today I'll try to remove a broken screw from the dash tower where the throttle cable is fastened...this should have been done before painting but it got overlooked. Hopefully we can remove it without ruining the threads on the welded nut (or breaking off the nut).

Nice surprise today...the engine I'm putting in my 73 is actually a K181, not a K161 like I originally thought... hopefully that extra 1 hp will help some when pulling the 10" plow. Wondering if the choke and throttle cables I'd planned to use will still work with the 8 hp...also need to locate an 8 hp air filter. Thanks to John Boelens for explaining the wider air filter required for the K181...wasn't aware of that either.

Fenders, foot pegs, wheels, rear lift, spring assist, dash tower, steering wheel, and clutch are now installed on the 73. Should have the grill on later today...I'll post a pic or two once that's done. Also, the paint job and assembly of the K181 is now complete:

262422.jpg

262423.jpg

262424.jpg

Looking good steve! I can prolly get u a new air filter for the 8hp engine at work. I had to order in a 7hp filter... but we had a 8 when I replaced mine earlier this year.

John B -- The air filter is already in...I picked one up yesterday. Gettin' down to the nitty gritty now...if everything goes right we'll hopefully have everything done in the next few weeks. I sure wish we knew more about installing the wiring harness and getting the engine up and running. Although we'd love to finish this ourselves, it's important for those last things to be done correctly and we're just more comfortable having someone with more expertise than us finish it up. I have to say, though, I'm really enjoying this final assembly process
happy.gif

Wiring Harness is pretty simple on a 73 - does yours have lights or a amp gauge? the wiring schematic on her does a good job. If you need one to look at- mines here. Nothing like hearing a kohler fire on it's own after you saw all of the internals arrive in parts boxes!

Steve - lookin good! How far are you from John? I'm heading up that way before too long and would love to swing by just for a few.

Back