• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

My 73 Refurbish

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve, nice progress! I'll second Terry on the Honey Nut Cheerios.
yummy.gif

Kraig, Terry -- I'm a Raisin Bran guy myself but I'll pass along your approval of Mom's cereal preference.
err.gif

I'm not aware of a retainer clip needed for the ignition switch, just a washer and nut.

Bill -- My 73 is the first tractor I've worked on that needs one. I already have the socket but the retainer clip has part number IH-402239-R1:

261082.jpg

Steve, do you have a higher resolution version of that photo that you could email to me? If so I can post it so all can see it better.

Sorry, I guess so. The parts look up shows two different pedestals.

261086.jpg

261087.jpg

Steve - I think the pic below is what you need. It's 1/8th wide so pretty thin.

261095.jpg

Steve - do you need the nut or the retainer clip! May have an extra clip. Not so sure it isn't the same clip as used for an amp meter but not 100% sure. Think I have the clip from a parted 127.

Hey - now you can see that little star washer behind the nut. Forgot about that. Holler Steve if I can help with what you need.

Kraig--Thanks! This is much better.

Terry -- Actually I'll be needing the retainer AND mounting hardware (including hex nut(s), special washer(s), etc.) After checking my hardware bin I did find a few thin hex nuts but they were all too small to fit around the ignition switch. The switch I have is an old three prong I had left over from a parts tractor on earlier projects. For the moment I'm assuming it's the correct one and it works...it fits perfectly inside the socket and appears to be similar to the one in the photo.

If your retainer clip is like the one shown and you're willing to part with it, I might be interested in buying it (along with any other necessary mounting hardware). How much $$ would you need to do this? Could probably be shipped in a padded manilla envelope...

Steve, I'll check today to see if I have everything. I'll post a pic so you can be sure it's what you need. No problem with $, you may have something I need some day. I am curious about the creeper decal - is it the hi/low for the tunnel beside the shift lever or is there another somewhere? Don't have any but gonna need a few myself. Spray on!

Terry -- You're too kind...I'm deliberately keeping my spare parts inventory to a minimum so its unlikely I'd be able to return the favor. Please email me your address so I can send you a few bucks for your effort and postage, at least. The creeper gear decal is the one you mentioned for the tunnel. I noticed that Chris Westfall and CC Specialties had them on their websites but I might check with Madson's since they are on our way to Door County WI next week.

Steve - cant locate the clip but checked with John Boelens and between the two of us I think we'll get ya fixed up.

Terry -- Thanks for checking. Tom Hoffman emailed me last night...he has an extra retainer and graciously offered to send it to me.

Applied the first coat of 935 white today with the spray gun. The yellow is done now except for the engine and rear hitch plate which is bent and needs straightening...not sure if heat would help with that...very heavy metal.

261153.jpg

261154.jpg

Steve, Another 73 followed me home today... and this one has that decal on the tunnel you speak of! I thought maybe you wer off your rocker, but I have one now also. lol

John -- I picked up a replacement decal at RPRU however it's a slightly different style...probably used with the more recent models. I looked everywhere for one with the original styling but no bananas.

Steve - just checking in to how things are going with the 73. Been playing around with mine a bit but nothing major. Any progress with the engine? Keep us posted!

Terry -- We're nearly finished up with the white but still have my front blade to paint, the engine, and the rear hitch plate. The plate was slightly bent and had to be flattened out using heat...now it's ready for priming and then yellow. Most likely we'll take our time assembling the tractor once everything is painted...hopefully have it done sometime this fall. I'll keep posting pics as we make more progress. Stopped at Madson's in person yesterday to pick up a creeper gear decal and a double drilled lift pin, or donkey d*** as you mentioned some call it
biggrin.gif
. It doesn't have an elongated hole like other tiller pins I've seen but I was told it would work for both my plow and tiller.

Back