• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

My 73 Refurbish

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sshaff

displayname
Steve Shaff
After many months of locating parts, cleaning, sanding, and other prep work, my step-dad and I have finally made it to the paint stage of my 73 refurbish:

260736.jpg

260737.jpg

260738.jpg

260739.jpg

Steve - glad to see you're getting that dude together. Need more pics and details of what all you're doing to it. I'm waiting to redo the 73 I got from John "Roundy" Boelens until I wrap up some other stuff. Any engine pics? Thanks so much for starting this thread - definitely got my attention.

Terry -- Thanks for your interest
happy.gif
. She'll have a creeper, a three point, fenders, and new Firestone ag tires (narrow ones) in the rear. The engine came out of a 72 I bought for $100 a year ago last spring. It had compression but was missing the carburetor, the tin that covers the head, and had been sitting outside for an unknown period of time under a canopy-type storage space. The gas tank was completely rusted out. After replacing the carburetor and gas tank it ran great for the brief time we tried it out, and the PTO worked. We didn't do any additional engine or PTO work so I hope it holds up -- at least for awhile. Although the 72 was a nice, straight tractor it had been painted an ugly pink-peach color, so I decided to remove the engine and was fortunate enough to sell the rest as a roller for more than I paid for it originally. I always liked the 73 styling and decals and last fall I had an opportunity to trade some parts for a 73 roller. It was in rough shape but had potential...and now here we are. The engine is sitting on the garage floor...we did have to use some heat to remove the old exhaust elbow which had a hole drilled through it by the previous owner for some strange reason -- and it was VERY stubborn. We're planning to paint the engine last; I'll post pics of that when we get to it!

Awesome! Can't wait to see that dude come together. Those Firestones should look sharp and sounds like you're going all out with the creeper and all. Headlights? Curious about your painting process (primer, clear, etc) and how that turns out. Anyway, keep us posted and good luck with that engine.

Here's a pic of my 73 - just put new Tru Power 8.5s on it and have tri-ribs for the front once I find decent front rims.
260748.jpg

Kraig--Thanks...yellow fever strikes again
err.gif
!

Terry--Great looking tractor you have there! No headlights for mine. A few months ago I bought a $30 gravity feed HVLP spray gun to fit my air compressor, but we did the priming via spray can since we wanted to use up two cans of some generic brand gray primer we had laying around. In hindsight, it probably would have been a bit less expensive to finish priming with the HVLP gun but we continued with four more spray cans of Rustoleum gray primer. We're now using the gun with Case/IH Iron Guard paint for the yellow and white... 8:1 ratio with hardener and no reducer. It works great!

Steve - sounds like a good plan to me. Have stuff to paint myself - bought a new Hvlp gun so we'll see how it goes. Never painted with a gun before. Do you have any sort of spray booth? Anyway, look forward to your progress!

Steve - did you know that John actually harbors an affinity for WF Cubs? Maybe I'll go for the new rat rod look and just clear pat rust and all. Seems to be the rage now. Stewing on paint booth ideas. Any new pics?

John -- We're feeling more confident ourselves now that we've done it once or twice...so far so good!

Terry -- Our paint booth is about as "make-shift" as it gets. It's completely open on one side. Another side is just a garage wall (covered in plastic sheeting); the other two sides are just cheap plastic tarp folded at a right angle and tacked to the ceiling with small pieces of wood and nails. We have two rods to hang parts from. The rods rest on a ladder on one end and a piece of wire (supported by bicycle hooks) in the ceiling on the other end. My step-dad put it up "on the fly" with stuff he had laying around --it's nothing special but seems to work. For safety, we do have a small service door just beyond the tarp that we leave open for ventilation as well as leaving the main garage door up while we paint. We also keep an electric fan on for good air circulation.

Steve - gonna have to come up with something makeshift myself. Already having flash rust issues but hopefully hitting them with epoxy primer will take care of that. Gonna have to drop the tranny on mine - lots of squealing going on when I hit the clutch till it stops spinning. Do you have any close up engine pics to post? Also, curious if you ever found those mowing blades you were looking for.

Steve- I'm guessing the reason for the one hole in the exhaust elbow---- Blitz Fogger! I just bought a "60 work attachment" brochure from IH - and they attached a hose from the exhaust to the fogger - heated up liquid in tank on hood to create dry fog! I'll have to show you the picture - It's pretty neat!

Terry - I hope you get rid of the flash rust BEFORE you primer .. rust under paint never sleeps.....

John -- A mechanic at a local shop laughingly mentioned something about an insect fogger when I showed him the elbow -- I sort of thought he was joking.
err.gif

Terry -- I've included a couple engine pics and a few more paint pics. Also shown are some photos of the (outer) blade for a 38" cast end deck. The original style (shown in the back) was manufactured from 1963-68...I was fortunate to obtain an old, worn set from Lew Palma a year or two ago (but would like to find some brand new ones just like them...nearly impossible.) The others are more recent updates--the one in front is the most recent sold today.

260941.jpg

260942.jpg

260943.jpg

260944.jpg

260945.jpg

260946.jpg

Gerry - gonna have to do some sanding and maybe re-blast a few pieces but think I'll be ok (I hope!).

Steven - LOOKIN GOOD! Might mention in case you haven't done it but I just rebuilt the steering box on mine and put the "super steer" stuff on. Made a BIG difference and without even replacing the tie rods and stuff I'm left with maybe an inch of steering slop at the wheel which is good in my book. Paid $8.25 for the super steer stuff locally and gonna put it on every tractor. Keep us posted!

Hey Steve, on a good note, I got a GALLON of federal yellow Case IH Iron Guard paint from work - this is gonna be a yellow winter in my shop! lol

Making progress on the dash tower. Nearly done with the yellow now and will soon begin with the white..

261036.jpg

261037.jpg

She's lookin good! Can't wait to see that dude come back together. Got my paint gun yesterday and or geared stuff to make a paint booth so maybe I'll finally get some paint on my stuff - LONG overdue. Keep us posted!

Thanks Terry. Another light coat on the dash tower and fenders today. All the black is done and I'll try out a metallic color on the front grill screen. The screen itself is not perfect but I'm hoping it'll suffice...we'll see. I've been trying to locate a retainer clip for the ignition switch...apparently these are NLA but I did obtain a NOS socket from Chris Westfall at RPRU -- was unaware at the time a retainer clip was also necessary...grrrrrr. Also looking for a decal for the creeper gear.

Latest posts

Back