• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

More 1872 questions

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwarfle

displayname
paul warfle
My 1872 fixer upper is now running and mowing. I ended up borrowing a carb while I wait for my kit to arrive. It runs great wide open but starts a little hard and still surges at low and mid RPM's. I will look in my Kohler book - trouble-shooting - if it still does this after I re-build my carb.

The new questions I have relate to the power steering and a hy-tran leak.
This is the first SGT I have operated, and having mowed with 782's for the past 10years, I expected the steering to be better. It is decent turning left, but a bit "catchy" and the right turn is hard. I can imagine a ram style could be this way, but I know it is not right as many of you rave about having power steering. Ideas?
I do have a hy-tran leak, but made sure I topped it off before mowing.
I will order a new relief valve tomorrow, and solve one item, and maybe more?

Paul,

I have a 982 and 1872 and other than the power assist steering they turn about the same. They both have a slightly tighter left turning radius as compared to a right turn. The 1872 steering is effortless (turn with 1 finger), smooth and proportional.

I am not sure what you mean by "catchy" Do you mean the steering ram is jittery or sticks? Is it possible you have gotten air in the hydraulic lines? Your other post mentions putting it back together.

The right turn is hard, takes more effort on your part to turn right? The ram actually has more rated force turning to the right, ram is extending.

Jim

Thanks Jim. The steering isn't catching, just a little jerky and definitely not a one finger deal. Your probably right about the air. I will check that out.

Paul,

An easy way to check it is to jack up the front axle off the ground then try it. On occasion the spindles will get tight in the axles and need to be removed and cleaned up, especially if it sat outdoors for any length of time.

Also while raised spin the wheel full left and right to purge out any air in the lines and cylinder. See if it is still jerky to the right turn.
Lastly double check that one of the hydraulic levers is not off central, in other words stuck in the up or down position; this'll cause the relief valve to bypass fluid and impact the steering very greatly. While steering the wheel try to move the hyd. lever(s) and see if this impacts it. When is the last time hydro filter was changed??

Water in the hytran will show up as bad PS performance first. usually a result of "slime" plugging the filter.

Change Hytran and filter, purge system of air as described below and I bet all is well.

I have personally had this happen twice on new to me SGT's.

Thank you Jim and Steve. It does have a new filter and quite a bit of new fluid. It acted better last time I ran it, but carb is acting up so I am waiting for a new kit to come now. When I get it running again I will let you guys know how it is performing.

Latest posts

Back