• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Massey 261 w/ 236 loader problem

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcoleman

displayname
Glen M. Coleman
Hey all, buddy of mine has a massey 261 diesel gear drive tractor with a 236 loader on it that wont move, all the other hydros on it work, along with he three point and other wet lines. The loader is connected to the rear hydro ports, and then run through a valve on the right fender (settin on it) the tractor drives its just hard to drive it with the loader stuck down.
Cant figure out why it wont move and we've tried every knob button and lever/safety we can think of. Ideas?

just a thought are the rear ports controlled by a valve that is in off position.I am not familiar with that model. I know on the 165 the quadrant for the 3 point/draft had a constant pumping position that was used for external rams

It has a main shutoff just under the seat (missing the handle in turn adorned with rusty vice grips haha) that Ive moved in every position and the loader will only lurch a little like it loses pressure but nothing is leaking and the hydro fluid is full...real headscratcher, theres something I have to be missing, a valve like you suggested makes sense.

Glen another thought are the lines to fender mounted control valve hard connected or in quick connectors.Have you tried switching those if in the quick connects

Havent tried switching them yet, they are all soft lines on the tractor, except on the loader arms. The owner claims the loader works but didnt say what jig we had to dance prior to that haha. Ill try switching them around next time Im on their farm. Thanks Ed
beerchug.gif

Glen C. You say that all the other hydraulics work on the tractor. What do you mean by that? Power steering, another set of remotes that you've hooked to say a disc or something with a two way cylinder on it or .... ????? If all the other hydraulics are working then why are you even thinking of trying to wrench on something that is supposed to turn the hydraulics off if I understand you correctly?

Does the loader have a two way hydraulic bucket? If so does the two way on the bucket work? You've given us so little information that it is like trying to ask a mime to do The Gettysburg Address.
1a_scratchhead.gif
happy.gif

And always remember.... You don't need a Mime as the Auctioneer for a Silent Auction.

Got it figured out, there was a valve that was damaged when the handle was broken off, the one that is the main shutoff so its positioning is very picky (the one that has vice grips on it as its handle) The owner of the tractor doesnt believe in maintenance and just uses machinery until it drops and then replaces it, the tractor has no power steering and only has two rear remotes that power the loader. Only reason I couldnt post more info is I only saw the tractor for about ten minutes and couldnt go back in time to get pics and details. So, thanks for all the help and Marlin, Ill remember that next time I attend a silent auction.
beer2.gif

Glen C. Fantastic!!! Yes, I ask a LOT of questions to someone. It helps with diagnosing. Especially when you can't be there in person to see what you are trying to help fix.

It is a shame that some people use/abuse their equipment. I remember many years ago a company from down south was in Cedar County, Iowa purchasing wood to make barrels out of. The Massey Ferguson dealer had a MF 135 with under 300 hours on it and it was literally beat up. Broken 3 point arms, bent sheet metal, etc. I asked about the tractor and the dealer said they were told to just get it runing again. The company had bought it the fall before and this was early spring.

Unfortunately in todays America everything is made as and viewed as disposable, look at the increases in price and decreases in quality of pretty much everything these days, and the things that are still built to last are mistreated and labeled as "junk like the rest of it" - this massey in particular is in decent shape cosmetically and mechanically, but the muffler and part of the manifold has been sheared off, there are four different tires on it, the paint is faded, there was water in the oil bath aircleaner before we serviced it, a fuel filter that was so clogged its a wonder it ran, no handles on half of the valves, a loader that didnt work, beat and rusted bushhog, the tach and the rest of the gauges are hanging down in the dash by their wires, none of the lights work...list goes on. paint and sheetmetal are nice and amazingly it only leaks a little diesel fuel around the fuel pump. With a little TLC she'll be a nice tractor again, I will say now we have fixed the loader its a strong tractor, just need to have the owner get a new manifold for it so we can put the muffler back on it.

Back