• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Look what followed me home

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the darn pic GRRRRRR!

Well, I have a long story behind this ordeal but I'll try and keep things to a minimum.

Today I made my second trip to get this 982. I checked the serial number so I'm guessing all 982s are associated with MTD. This one does say International on the hood and that's what threw me. The first trip ended with my getting told to "get off of my property" and that's exactly what I did. That was two weeks ago this Friday. Last Monday the gentleman came to my house and apologized for "showing his ass" and the deal was back on. After all, he came to my house in the first place a couple of months ago and told me he had a 982 he wanted to sell. This gentleman is 80 years old and his mental faculties are slipping somewhat...in other words, he don't remember crap from one moment to the next. Anyway, I told him I may be interested but it would take me a couple of weeks to raise the money. He said that would be fine and that's what happened. When I got the money I went there on a rainy Friday to get the tractor. While I was there I asked him about the deck and he just started oozing attitude and said, "well lets just forget the whole thing then". I wasn't upset but had a feeling I was up against a medical condition or something. He had mentioned that he thought there was a deck but forgot. I also asked him about the side panels which he had in another barn. We ended up making two trips to this barn, one for the potential deck and one for the side panels. While there the second time he pointed to another cub that had a 44" deck and said he thought that might be the deck for the 982. I asked if he would part with it and he blurted NO!. We got back in his car to return to the 982 and I asked him why he even mentioned it then. I also said it was difficult trying to deal with a bad memory and that's when he said I could just get off of his property. I got out, removed the battery I had installed on the tractor, got in my vehicle and left. I had gone to a lot of trouble to ready myself for the sale and transport. It was also about 30 minutes away.

Long story short...here's what's on the trailer in MY yard now.

264687.jpg

The bad news is it has 1400 hrs on the maintenance meter. It has front hydraulics, rear pto, and the cat O I've mentioned. The other bad news is the engine is an Onan and I'm not sure I can afford to do any maintenance costwise. From the looks of the front tires the tow-in needs correcting badly as well. I plan to work this machine mainly by r/r engines from other cubs and maybe a carry-all. Since Kraig posted the 3 pt addition for sleeve hitching I will have to make that too. It just makes sense.

Wish me luck...this is my first red addition.

Wayne-
Interesting story. It sounds like your persistence paid off!

I'll save you some time (and a few bucks?). The Cat-0 top link sold at any local "farm supply" stores (like the one I pictured today on the main board) will NOT work with the 982's 3-point. It's a somewhat special top-link that is different than that standard top link pictured.

Your options are to either get another one from Cub Cadet, or make one yourself.

Sorry, I don't mean to be a wet blanket on your fire. You've got a great starting point with that tractor. Nice job!

Thanks for the heads up Art.

If anyone has a pic of what the proper top link looks like I'd like to see it.

Kraig-

Yes I got the side panels. I decided to forget about the deck since I have about ten out in the barn. I also got the undercarriage which was a small plus. I would like to have the dimensions of that 3 pt draw bar you posted on the main forum. If you could email them it would be easier for me to keep track and review.

I forgot to mention that after the tractor was loaded I handed him an envelope with the money and he handed me back a big BEN! He must have felt really bad. I have again realized the truth behind the saying, "you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar". The "refund" put us right between my offer and his selling price.

Wayne, email sent... The main difference in the top link is that the one for use on a Cub Cadet Super GT is that the tractor end must be smaller in both outer diameter and width than what is typically sold as standard. Aaron (Xtreme Motorworks) sells one that will work for $40. He has a photo of it on his website.

Schultzie-

That is a very nice looking machine. I really like the lugs and hope to get a set for mine eventually. It doesn't appear you even use the harrow; is it only for show??? Nice!

Thanks for the pics!

Wayne,
Nah, that's just after I painted it. It's been in the dirt once so far.

Last week - got something so I don't have to crawl on the ground anymore!

265076.jpg

OK, I know it's not a 1200 but it's the next best thing. Has a replacment K-301 that owner said husband replaced about 5 years ago, so it should have a lot of life left in it. Will need a new TO bearing. One of the nicest 44" decks I've seen in a long time too. Best of all, it was real cheap.
265321.jpg

265322.jpg

Tom imho its better than a 1200, it makes me want a 128 again

Nice 128 Tom. They are a great tractor. I use mine a lot.

A lady said she had some junk she wanted to get out of her way. Said she had walked around it for 8 years. So I helped her get rid of it. The junk was a 123 105 and a original. The o had a BB36 blower,UD6 creeper, 3 point lift, fenders

285503.jpg

285504.jpg

Sorry about the double post. More pics when my resizer is working.

Latest posts

Back