• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Look what followed me home

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't had my truck but a month and I got to use it already!

317541.jpg

I just had to go and rescue this little fella.

317542.jpg

I was told this cub was used in a mill to pull around carts. Maybe that's why it had a ball on the front and back.
They said the deck was removed and discarded because they didn't need it in a mill!
bash.gif

The second owner let it sit outside, creating the rust.
What a setup.

317543.jpg

I was surprised, everything was nice and tight. No play in the shifter or steering.
Mostly everything looks original.

317544.jpg

Marty, nice save, and with a rear lift. Interesting spring assist setup. Any chance you could post a detail photo or two of that? TIA
happy.gif

That looks like the Brinely spring assist that I have on my 70. Just mounted backwards.

Marty, thanks for the photo. I agree with Kendal, looks like a standard Brinly spring assist that is mounted backwards.

Marty-

Just curious here but is that ball welded to the sleeve hitch or can it be easily removed?

Either way the hitch is certainly worth salvaging.

Kendal and Kraig,

You are right, it is a Brinly spring assist.

317565.jpg

Wayne,

The ball has a long shaft. It came right off.
So far, the seat and tires are the only thing not salvageable. LOL!

The hitch adapter is in excellent shape (not beat up). The bolts where the drift plate goes are even IH bolts!
I believe this adapter is going on my 100.

Has anyone ever seen a ball with such a long shaft?
Was this ball made for Brinly?

317566.jpg

The grille and IH emblem are even in good shape.

317567.jpg

I will go over the grille and straighten any bent areas before I paint it.
All sandblasted and ready for primer.

317568.jpg

Marty-

Apparently you're feeling better and that's a good thing.

That's a real plus for you that the sleeve hitch wasn't messed up. You might want to turn those bolts around though and come in from the other side.

I bet that ball is threaded and someone just added the long shaft.

Nice find on the O.

Now, get back on that 100 and get it finished. There's a bunch of us waiting.

Wayne,

No, the ball is not threaded. It is kind of hollow in the middle, and the bolt is like a carriage bolt.
I thought someone may have put a carriage bolt in it, but the bolt matches perfectly with the ball.
1a_scratchhead.gif

About the 100.
"Patience, grasshopper."
317580.jpg

You know it is 100 percent humidity here, and I can't do any painting.
Maybe this weekend, if I don't get distracted again.
err.gif

Marty-

I understand about the weather. It's been crazy hot/humid for October...92* just yesterday. I think once this system is gone fall will finally be here.

Wayne,

I may clean up the ball and inspect it some more.
Since I had a heat stroke some years back, this hot weather beats me like a drum. It gives me migraines which make me sleepy, real tired, and of course the headaches.
Hopefully cooler weather will come soon. I need it bad.
Maybe Charlie will send us some!
err.gif

Latest posts

Back