• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Kohler question

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekincaid

displayname
Ethan Kincaid
are the connecting rod, piston and cylinder head interchangeable between the Kohler k241a and the k241aqs engines I kinda have to ball on a budget with the engine rebuild for the 106 I picked up the k241a engine needs a head and connecting rod I have a k241aqs sitting around that I don’t really have a use for at this time

Well lets see:
1. Connecting rod: There is a possibility that the oil dipper will be shorter on the Cub Cadet engine. I just ran into that on a K241 that was in a 100. The replacement (Aftermarket) .020 rod had the long dipper for the deeper oil sump. My solution was to carefully measure and cut off the dipper to match the length on the old rod.

2. Piston: Some Kohler K-series parts lists show 'early' and 'late' pistons and rings. The difference is the width of the rings and I am thinking the wider thickness rings were the 'early' version and narrower rings were 'late', but I don't know the actual thickness dimensions so you can measure them.

3. head: At some point Kohler moved the spark plug hole in some of the K-series heads. You should be able to look and see if this is a problem with your different heads. Your sheet metal cover won't fit if the sparkplug is in the wrong place. (You are using that cover aren't you? the last K241 I got was missing all the covers but the fan shroud. And that is a good recipie for an overheated engine.)

First thank you, both the ten horse engines are both out of cubs the K241a is out of the 106 it is missing all the tins but has the flywheel shroud I do have donor tins from other engines the I can use I don’t have any cylinder head tin but I can fan one up(I actually used that tin on I K321 and found out about the spark plug hole the hard way) .secondly I hadn’t taken into consideration the oil dipper.that should be easily remedied with careful trimming as you’ve done. Thirdly would early vs late rings really be a problem as long as the ring gap is proper also I would maybe consider that both my engines could be late rings my 106 is a 71,the aqs engine I believe to from a 75-76 perhaps 1000 quiet line,I’m thinking the early rings would be for the 100s 102s and maybe 104s.Thank you for your insights you given me some areas to look at but from what I hear from you is that it’s doable

The problem with the rings is NOT the end gap. The problem is the thickness or width of the ring. They need to be within something like .002 of the groove they fit in. If they don't fit they hammer back and forth and break in short order. I llearned this the hard way in a M16 (Magnum16) that was in a Wheel Horse. I just assumed that the piston would be 'late' style being it was in a Magnum16 and not in a K-series. The M16 is practically identical to the K341 and they share a lot of common parts.

So after some thinking...I think I’ll swap the aluminum rear engine cover ,fly wheel and engine shroud over to my k241aqs from my k241as engine so it will fit in my 106.the only question I’ll have to answer is if the starter/generator mounting bracket will fit where the bendix starter mounted on the aqs engine.Ill figure that out later when it warms up it’s cold here this morning LOL

Well lets see:
1. Connecting rod: There is a possibility that the oil dipper will be shorter on the Cub Cadet engine. I just ran into that on a K241 that was in a 100. The replacement (Aftermarket) .020 rod had the long dipper for the deeper oil sump. My solution was to carefully measure and cut off the dipper to match the length on the old rod.

2. Piston: Some Kohler K-series parts lists show 'early' and 'late' pistons and rings. The difference is the width of the rings and I am thinking the wider thickness rings were the 'early' version and narrower rings were 'late', but I don't know the actual thickness dimensions so you can measure them.

3. head: At some point Kohler moved the spark plug hole in some of the K-series heads. You should be able to look and see if this is a problem with your different heads. Your sheet metal cover won't fit if the sparkplug is in the wrong place. (You are using that cover aren't you? the last K241 I got was missing all the covers but the fan shroud. And that is a good recipie for an overheated engine.)
Would you happen to remember the length of the oil dipper after you trimmed it? please text 402-902-0589

Latest posts

Back