• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

kohler K17 series 2 engin fail

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tvelde

displayname
Tristan Van de Velde
Hello all,
2 weeks ago I brought my 782 in for maintenance at the dealer.
And after a few hours I got a call that my engine broke down. Of course I cry like a baby.
Going to see today and what needs to be done now.
New cylinder head, crankshaft, connecting rod and cylinder (I have photos). These parts are not new available in our region (Belgium/Netherlands).
And now my question, I know a kohler k17 series 1 engine for sale here. Are these parts interchangeable?

greetings to everyone

Greetings to everyone,
Tristan

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all,
2 weeks ago I brought my 782 in for maintenance at the dealer.
And after a few hours I got a call that my engine broke down. Of course I cry like a baby.
Going to see today and what needs to be done now.
New cylinder head, crankshaft, connecting rod and cylinder (I have photos). These parts are not new available in our region (Belgium/Netherlands).
And now my question, I know a kohler k17 series 1 engine for sale here. Are these parts interchangeable?

greetings to everyone

Greetings to everyone,
Tristan

Some Series 1 parts interchange with Series 2. Cranks are different due to different oiling systems.

Sommige onderdelen van Serie 1 wisselen elkaar af met Serie 2. De krukassen zijn anders vanwege verschillende oliesystemen.

Could he have the Series I crank drilled to match the Series II style?
The jugs should interchange, right?

Maybe. If he compared both cranks side by side and made sure they didn't change anything else, it might be possible. At some point, the jugs changed too...early ones have a gasket between the jug and case half, later ones had RTV. Valves and seats changed a bit as well, but I think that occurred after the Series II and were on the Magnum instead.

Head, jug, and crank probably aren't available new anywhere, including in the USA. There are a couple used parts guys that ship parts internationally. Good used parts from here might be a better bet.

Or, time for a swap to a newer engine with more available parts.

Kan zijn. Als hij beide cranks naast elkaar vergeleek en ervoor zorgde dat ze verder niets veranderden, zou het mogelijk kunnen zijn. Op een gegeven moment veranderden de kannen ook ... de vroege hebben een pakking tussen de kan en de helft van de kist, latere hadden RTV. Kleppen en zittingen veranderden ook een beetje, maar ik denk dat dat gebeurde na de Series II en in plaats daarvan op de Magnum.

Kop, kan en slinger zijn waarschijnlijk nergens nieuw verkrijgbaar, ook niet in de VS. Er zijn een paar gebruikte onderdelen die onderdelen internationaal verzenden. Goede gebruikte onderdelen van hier zijn misschien een betere gok.

Of tijd voor een ruil naar een nieuwere motor met meer beschikbare onderdelen.
Een andere motor is natuurlijk ook een optie.
Heb jij goede suggesties? Liefst geen nieuwe willen die kosten zonder ombouw al gauw 2000 dollar.

En heeft u contactadressen van verkopers van gebruikte onderdelen?

Another engine is of course also an option.
Do you have good suggestions? Preferably don't want a new one that costs easily 2000 dollars without conversion.

And do you have contact addresses of sellers of used parts?

Honestly, you would be better off with a Kohler Command, since they are still making them, and they are a darned good engine. You will have to get a new driveshaft, but your existing PTO will bolt on if you get a Cub specified engine. You will need to rewire the ignition harness and purchase a ignition switch for an 1811 since the KT17 is a battery powered ignition, and the Command is a magneto ignition with a kill circuit.

Eerlijk gezegd zou je beter af zijn met een Kohler Command, aangezien ze die nog steeds maken, en het is een verdomd goede motor. U zult een nieuwe aandrijfas moeten aanschaffen, maar uw bestaande aftakas kan worden vastgeschroefd als u een door Cub gespecificeerde motor krijgt. U moet de ontstekingskabelboom opnieuw bedraden en een contactschakelaar voor een 1811 kopen, aangezien de KT17 een batterijgevoede ontsteking is en de Command een magneetontsteking met een kill-circuit.

I do have these for sale for a series 2.

Attachments

• Screenshot (53).png
    Screenshot (53).png
    275.5 KB · Views: 0
Oké,

Ik ben sterk geïnteresseerd.
Wat zou het kosten inclusief verzending naar België?
En staat er ergens een modelnummer of onderdeelnummer op? dan kan ik er een verifiëren.

Maybe. If he compared both cranks side by side and made sure they didn't change anything else, it might be possible. At some point, the jugs changed too...early ones have a gasket between the jug and case half, later ones had RTV. Valves and seats changed a bit as well, but I think that occurred after the Series II and were on the Magnum instead.

Head, jug, and crank probably aren't available new anywhere, including in the USA. There are a couple used parts guys that ship parts internationally. Good used parts from here might be a better bet.

Or, time for a swap to a newer engine with more available parts.

You need to stay with the series II 18 magnum and build by the book your better off, or replace with replacement had a friend that had a couple one with a v-twin Honda and the other one with a small ford Feasta small car motor after his friend got blowed off a hiway in it by a semi got that car for 200.00 and had clutch, alternator, the smallest car motor I’ve seen in person smaller than my old Harley ????09901499-4239-404F-8F9B-B10B279D9FCD.jpegCB952A4F-8F34-41F0-85F7-33B753AE17A0.jpeg2D8124F4-336A-4606-865D-A98EB63A94C0.jpeg

I pick up old V-twin mowers that quite moving for small change and check the motors out of four you can get a motor and lots of spare parts staying in the 20-25 hp and the same brand engine but stay away from the JD John Deere engines they have all the parts in the motors changed on purpose !!!!

The KT-1 series were loosing cylinders all the time because when they ran on a tilt they lost oil feed to the high side and would fail !!! The magnums 18 were the upgrade with oil pressure feed much better design !!!!

Back