• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

K301 rebuild

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try Midwest Restoration Parts on eBay for #224906109529 Kohler metal dataplate ($35). Most jewelers can replicate the engraving from your old plate.

Engine HP decals that go on the fuel tank can be had thru eBay as well.

I found half a quart of original yellow I bought years ago! Worked fine for the block. Are there any replacement decals available for the engine tins for the hp and ser. numbers and such?
I'm in a quandary about my piston rings! I removed the previous set of rings to find a shim spring ring under my oil rings which were flush with the outside of the piston! If I install the new scraper ring spacer with the shim still installed , it stands proud of the piston? Without it the new ring sits low in the piston groove! Help me make sense of this please> TIA

Some oil control rings use scrapers (spacers) above and below the ring. If your new ring set doesn't include scrapers, don't use the old scrapers with it! I've encountered scrapers in automotive applications, but I've never seen this with the Kohler K-series.

Some oil control rings use scrapers (spacers) above and below the ring. If your new ring set doesn't include scrapers, don't use the old scrapers with it! I've encountered scrapers in automotive applications, but I've never seen this with the Kohler K-series.
What I have is a 3 piece oil ring, a new set of 5 complete, the old rings i removed from the piston thats oversize, has a 3 piece oil ring but with a spring ring which fits under them at the bottom of the groove?

What I have is a 3 piece oil ring, a new set of 5 complete, the old rings i removed from the piston thats oversize, has a 3 piece oil ring but with a spring ring which fits under them at the bottom of the groove?
Sounds right to me.
Who did you get the rebuild kit from?
Everyone I have rebuilt has 3 oil rings like what you describe.
Put 'er back together Man!

Update on the rebuild. Fired up first try! Took me a while but I'm not fast anymore. Needing help locating a gauge for the pto clutch? Is there a downloadable template available or does anyone know the offset distance is? TIA

There is a gauge you use when adjusting the three nuts and screws holding the assembly together. I have an extra gauge. Give me your name and address and I'll mail it to you pronto.

Will get this mailed today, or Monday, as I have some installation and adjustment instructions archived here somewhere, which I'll send also.

Will get this mailed today, or Monday, as I have some installation and adjustment instructions archived here somewhere, which I'll send also.
Found it. It's a 1999 IHC Blue Ribbon Service publication that covers everything having to do with the power take-off clutch. Will get this out today, with the clutch set-up tool.

Here is a sketch of a NF pto gauge with measurements.
This will not work on the ones that use two springs.

Attachments

• NF pto tool.jpg
    NF pto tool.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 0
Found it. It's a 1999 IHC Blue Ribbon Service publication that covers everything having to do with the power take-off clutch. Will get this out today, with the clutch set-up tool.
You won't believe what I found in my stash of Cub Cadet parts! There's a serviceable PTO hub (the yellow object) with internal snap ring, a new PTO bearing with eccentric, and a complete PTO assembly I put together 30+ years ago with serviceable parts and a new friction disc and pressure plate! I had totally forgotten I had these. They all fit the K241 and K301 engines, and probably others.

Attachments

• 20231105_125605.jpg
    20231105_125605.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231105_125522.jpg
    20231105_125522.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Federal Yellow is the color IH used on Cub Cadets and the CE equipment in the Pay line. It's available through your local CaseIH or Cub Cadet dealer or from Charlie at Cub Cadet Specialties, as noted at the top of the page. Part number is 759-3263

I'm having a problem with my Walbro carb! I've run it thru the ultrasonic cleaner a couple times and did blow it out after > Now I'm having gas leak into the breather when it sits ! Is there a rubber seat the needle closes against? TIA

Back