• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

IHC382 Hydro / not working

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbroeske

displayname
Mimi Broekse
Hello,
I am new here! My faithful 382 hydro's transmission just stopped working the other day. I drained the fluid (thinking that I should change it anyway) and noticed that when I opened the cap under the seat, there is still fluid in there. Do I need to depress the towing lever to get the pump to release that extra fluid?
OK so that's the next problem, that linkage broke this spring so I have to depress that directly on the pump, but it's also stuck. Any suggestions?
So once I have the fluid changed, I have a feeling that my transmission wouldn't magically come to life (although that is what I am hoping for). Someone suggested that I check for a whining noise (meaning that it's connected and trying) or quiet (meaning that there is something wrong in the mechanical linkage to the transmission even though at first glance it all looks good). Does this sound like good advice or it is way-off?
Thanks for any suggestions or tips. Mimi

Just stopped. My son mowed the yard the previous day with no problems and the next day it wouldn't engage the transmission.

Mimi, Here is a link to MTDs website where you can enter in your model number and serial number and you might be able to download a free service manual. They don't have all their manuals loaded up yet so the one you need might not be available but it' can't hurt to try.

Thanks Kraig for the link. Of course, they don't have the service manual available for any of the hydro '82's. I have a parts manual and operator's manual so I'm covered there. The service manual is available for $16 online so perhaps that will be my next step.

Mimi, that figures that they don't have it available. Have you checked the belt and pulleys to be sure that everything is moving properly and not slipping and that the pulleys are not spinning on their shafts. Here's a drawing of the belt drive system from the Parts Lookup website that might be helpful in checking the belt drive:

87310.jpg

Thanks for the image Kraig. I will recheck the belts for slippage. Unfortunately, I drained the transmission so I can't do anything until I solve the "why is the resevoir under the seat still appear full?" conundrum.
Someone said that I need to activate the dump lever (for towing) to get the trans fluid to fully drain. However, that part broke this winter and I have a new one on the way before I can check out if that's the reason the trans fluid appears to be full. I have the part on order.
Have you ever drained a 382 hydro and run into this problem? Could it be clogged? What's in that pump? I have a diagram of the outside but no clue what's in there.

Mimi

Mimi, I briefly owned a Hydro 80 which was an earlier version of the tractor you have, but I never did anything with it. Hopefully someone that has more experience with the hydro lawn tractors will chime in here.

Latest posts

Back