• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Hurricane Sandy - October, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is Paul Harvey still around ! ? ?
old.gif

Update: Paul died in 2009 at age 90. I guess many of us remember him. Wikipedia has a nice writeup on him.

We've been getting heavy rain now for the last hour with steady wind and occasional gusts around 40 to 50 MPH.

The weather forecasters are calling for Sandy to make landfall in NJ around 8 PM tonight. The heaviest rain and wind in the Harrisburg Pa area will be from 2PM through 8 AM tommorrow.

I'm expecting power lines to go down sometime tonight. With the ground saturated and high winds there will be quite a few downed lines. Hopefully it won't be 7 - 10 days to restore power as some are predicting.

The off topic nearby JD dealership advertised they would have Honda generators arriving Monday. I stopped in after 9 this morning and they had sold all 100 generators they received in less than two hours.

I can handle one or two days without electricty, but I'm not sure about 7 days. The horses and sheep will be needing water. I have about two days worth of water stocked up for them. If it comes down to it, my Dad has a generator and pump I could borrow.

On the bright side, I'm off work for two days so I have some time to check out this and other websites (I've been lurking from time to time). I changed oil in two vehicles so far today. I may even clean up my garage/workshop and pull the K161 on the CC 70 to see where the oil leak is at (I'm thinking it's the rear seal).

Allen, sounds like it's getting worse! It's going to be a bad deal for plenty of people. Glad I'm no where near any of the nasty stuff.

Heard on news, that Lake Superior & Lake Michigan shipping co.'s are taking precautions for high (30') water.

Even here, it should be an interesting commute tomorrow. 18-23' waves along the Chicago shore, 60MPH gusts along the lakefront, channeled through the loop. Won't make for a leisurely walk to the office...

Maybe Ray Leo can take some pictures from his perch at the Field. My office just isn't close enough and thankfully not high enough...

I also wonder what Metra's going to do. Bi-level cars don't do well in the wind.

Just a thought but water in the bathtub can be used to flush the commode. Hopefully none of you will need to do that.

Kinda eerie, huh, Charlie? Half a dozen posts in the last 24 hours.
sad.gif

We're too far north for anything but gusty wind and rain. Feeling guilty about having an extra generator.

We made out better than I expected here in Harrisburg Pa. The power went off around 4:30 this morning but was back on around 9. I haven't seen any damage other than some trees and limbs down.

A lot of farmers here still had corn standing and were worried that it would be flattened before they could harvest it. From what I could see, the neighbors corn is still standing. They should be able to get it once the ground dries out a bit.

The power companies were much better prepared for hurricane Sandy then they were for last years tropical storm Lee. Several people coming home from Virginia on Sunday evening said they saw "convoys" of utility trucks coming North on Interstate 81.

The rain has stopped and the wind has died down considerably. Still you gotta appreciate utility workers for the immense effort they put forth in extreme conditions.

248165.gif
I read in the paper on Sunday that Mid American Energy was sending 15 line workers and 4 bucket trucks out east. I believe their destination was NY City. I know other states send their crews as well. Its nice to know others help out when a crisis occurs.

Hoping all our members are safe and secure.!!

angel.gif
Cathleen

We made it through fairly easy in So'eastern Mass. some power outages local to me but alot better than rhode island! Some flooding with damage in lower elevations too.

I guess I can remove the generator from the 73 and set it back on the shelf.

And hopin' any of our members from NY/NJ areas are ok.. they got HAMMERED!

Hey Mike - good to hear you made it ok and put your generator back on the shelf. Can you send me a picture of it along with your address (hehehe). Spoke with my son in CT and he made it thru ok. Pretty rough along the shore but he's inland about 50 miles. He usually loses power because there are so many trees where he lives, but this time he actually didn't - go figure?

That is good news Harry! And good to hear Matt came through it in good shape! Yes, I'll provide a pic and an address... but you'll need to bring your 169 over here as well!

Have you met my shepards?
feint.gif

I just watched the news. There are places up north that were simply devastated. I couldn't believe some of the widespread fires fueled by the high winds that took out whole blocks of houses. I don't think I've ever heard of any greater flooding in my life.

It really makes one think and be thankful of what they have. The damage is estimated to be in the 10s of billions of dollars overall from this one event. Unbelieveable.

Wow there's some real devastation out East. Not good. Hope all our forum members made it through OK. I'm waiting to hear from Allen, he's probably without power. I hope and pray he's OK.

Some of the trailing weather came over us last night. Torrential rains and the lightning was some of the worst I can ever remember! Just frightening! Right down into your bones frightening!!!

Our basement took on some water but my 2 sump pumps kept it in check. Whew, glad that's over!!!

Latest posts

Back