• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Hurricane Sandy - October, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fcurrier

displayname
Frank A. Currier(Northern Maine)
What Wayne just called a "weather event" is being billed on National News as the possibility of one wicked bad event - nicknamed Frankenstorm and being compared (possibly) to The Perfect Storm. There's guys here in its possible path - I hope they keep us posted if they can.
a_blink2.gif

Well...it's still a weather event.

I'm sure everyone's heard about it and hope everybody is prepared.

Frank, we're hoping it will stay out at sea. The sky right now looks like an Iowa thunderhead. I'm almost 2 hours closer to the coast than Wayne, I'm optimistic that will all be just a big blow,
but then I'm always optimistic.
smile.gif

Edit 1: My son is right ON the coast. He works as a civilian at a Naval Air Station not far from here. They probably have him battening down the hatches as you read this, and he'll be on duty all weekend.

Edit 2: He tells me that its just starting to drizzle right now, getting heavier.

J.C.: Part of my post almost involved the term "battening down the hatches". (USN '67-'71) In your son's place it probably is called "tying down the aircraft"?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Frank: Yes, you're right, I was using the term in a generic sense. However, I note that the Norfolk Naval Base has sent their ships out to sea in preparation, and one of my sons is stationed there, I think he went out Tuesday.

According to the Weather Channel, the storm is supposed to slide up the coast and then make a sharp left turn, probably making landfall early Monday at about New Jersey (best guess at this point), with winds from Boston, Massachusetts to Wilmington, North Carolina.

They're also comparing the high pressure west of Buffalo, New York to the low pressure in the eye itself, and it is definitely not looking good: promises to be one wild ride.

Not a breath of wind here right now, it is spooky quiet.

They are calling for 10" of rain here. It has been raining since the beginning of fall so the ground is soaked. The rivers are still down from the dry summer. People are scared it will flood again. That would make 3 floods in 6 years. Lets hope the weather guessers are wrong. But they sure are excited.

It will not be something to take lightly...especially around your area Melody. They are talking about subways being flooded in the city and terrential (sp) rain should the storm make a westward turn. Nows's the time to get gas for generators, batteries, etc. And don't forget water. It could be not so pleasant.

We don't have too much to worry about here in NC.

Good luck and stay safe!

Well people, I will keep everyone advised as long as I have power and cable. I live about 25 miles SW of N Y City, so I'm almost on the coast. Present theory is land fall at Atlantic City or lower NJ. Really doesnt matter with a storm this big. The fact that it's gonna hang around for a couple days is the pits!
Going to drag up my generator tomorrow and prepare to hook into the house. <font size="-2">Yes I know to pull the mains so I dont zap a utility person</font>. One big concern is falling trees, maybe we'll be lucky and find that all the bad ones fell already in the last two years. With a northern wind trees across the street would do only medium damage if they fell, and ones in the back yards would go into the yard.
Don't go looking for a generator...HarborFreight said they sold $53,000 yesterday and this morning. Home Depot had a large amount of people waiting for the 'generator truck' to arrive this morning. Heavy extension cords at a premium too.
Well we have all our food and extra cat food too so we'll see what happens in the next few days.

Allen: Sounds as though you're well prepared. A word of advice: don't use the bathtub to store drinking water unless you KNOW you can keep it from running out the drain.
smile.gif

Allen, I'm north of you, about 60 miles So'west of Boston and 10 minutes from Buzzards Bay. My home is a block away from the head of the New Bedford MA harbor!

I guess I'll mount the generator to the front of the 73.. I've had it 6 years and never needed it, I guess there's always a first time!

Hang on brother! It looks to get sloppy.. sigh..

Jeremiah: I assume the same goes for the "throne" ?? (hey - we had a DOG that drank out of it....)
dunno.gif

Spent the afternoon getting the Ariens ready for use- The storm is supposed to merge with a winter storm up my way, and at higher elevations (meaning me) might get some frozen stuff. The 149 still isn't together, and I was given the Ariens walk-behind- removed the mouse hotel from the flywheel area, changed the oil, replaced the recoil rope, and it started right up...

The storm just turned in towards the coast. Mandatory evacuations all over the place. Many at inland locations by rivers and low lying areas. Cape May at the southern tip of NJ already a wreck, boards from the boardwalk washing inwards . Already 10,000 people without power. Actual landfall between 8pm and midnite. I feel like I'm riding on the Titanic!

Allen, thanks for the update. I just heard on the radio this morning that this storm will be effecting the Great Lakes and may cause gale force winds and >20 foot waves on Lake Superior and >30 foot waves on Lake Michigan!

... and the replica of the HMS BOUNTY is at sea and taking on water. Coast Guard on a rescue mission.
sad.gif

Frank: I noticed in the news reports that they had put the 17 PASSENGERS in life boats already. --Passengers? People were out taking a cruise into the storm? I'm reminded of the TV show "Gilligan's Island" and the "three-hour cruise" refrain in the song at the top of the show. But seriously, some one paid money to be out at sea in a wooden vessel in the "storm of the century?" I've got to wonder about their sanity as well as the owners. Perhaps there will be a broadcast of "the rest of the story" aka Paul Harvey.
smile.gif

Back