High crop Cub Cadets???

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpatterson

displayname
Mike Patterson
Off the wall question....

Can you bolt a tranny & rear drop axles from a Cub Lowboy to an 82 series Cub Cadet?

High Crop 782 would be awesome I think. Was suggested it would move slower than a turtle on Sunday. If so, why is that? Doesn't the Lowboy's move along at a decent pace? Is there Drive gears that need to be switched around?

Anyone know the gentleman who built the Original High Crop? I think he was from Kentucky or something. If so, anyone have a way of contacting him? Would love to know what all he had to do to create his tractor. I have yet to find anything in the way of a write up for it. Perhaps I am living a pipe dream, but I think it would be REALLY neat to have a High Crop 82 series to work in the yard with and plow with. Now THAT would be a cool tractor if you could make things work out!
230690.jpg

Mike -
A 4 speed transmission Cub Tractor has a ground speed of 6.125 mph with a 24" wheel size.
A 3 speed transmission Cub Cadet has a ground speed of 6 mph with a 12" wheel size.

Now consider the gear reduction of the drop box bull gears of the Cub Tractor with a wheel diameter of half of what it was designed with.
I'd have to go out in the rain to measure the 24" tire height and the 12" tire height to figure the cicumference to give you the ground speed difference with the drop box on a 12" wheel.
At one time I had everything figured out but I've changed computers 3 times since then so I don't know what DVD or hard drive the info is on.

If you do it you have to have 2 left side intermediate stub axles since the right side Tractor axle is longer for the offset.

I've got a bad thunderstorm and need to shut down !

Dang cable went down fer a spell and I just got back online !

Now where was I ??

I left out the engines rpms.
The Cub Tractor @ full load RPM is Governored at 1600.
The Cub Cadet @ full load is Governored at 3200.

Rear End Gears:
Pinion = 10 T
Ring = 46 T

Drop Box Reduction = 5.83:1 output

I was playing around with an old burnt Cub Tractor some years ago.

230694.jpg

Here's the Cub Tractor rear

230695.gif

The axle housings will bolt right onto the Cub Cadet trans - no need to change the transmission as they were both built on the same assembly line.

So will it ONLY bolt onto a gear drive tranny, or will it work for a hydrostatic tranny as well?

So in order to increase the ground speed, can I increase the gear sizes in the tranny if I run a standard transmission? You know, get creative and use something out of a larger IH tractor?

Mike, Gear drives used a 7 to 1 gear reduction box at the front of the transmission. ad the reduction these drop boxes give stock and ad the smaller cub cadet wheels and your going really slow and backwards.
Hydros have a gear reduction behind the hydro. If you coukd change that to a chain and sprocket you'd still be slow but at least you'd be going the right direction.
happy.gif

bash.gif

OK...SO what did the gentleman do who built the High Crop below? Does it travel REAL slow, or did he change something along the way for the better? Does anyone know who he is/how to find him or postings about his tractor build??
Now that I look at my pictures....there is a 100 High Crop and an Original High Crop? Was the Original or the 100 done first?

I'm fairly certain that the 100 you pictured did not use Cub final drives.

Gears from another IH tractor are not going to miraculously fit.

I believe that 100 is one of Dan Hoeflers creations, along with his 4x4 and crawler 100 models, google Dan Hoefler cub cadet and links to the archives here as well as I believe his webpage should show up, and he goes over how he built his machines with photos and fairly detailed descriptions.

Heres a link I found on a quick search, got a bunch of neat pictures in here.

https://www.ihcubcadet.com/forum/messages/106/74857.html?1199473381

Mike - You have to take the gears out of the drop box and convert it to chain drive in the boxes.

That will ALSO reverse the direction of the output which WOULD take care of the reverse direction that Matt brought up.

You'll have to calculate the final drive ratio to see if you need it 1:1 or overdrive the ratio.

You'd have to make new shafts to put the sprockets on. The intermediate shaft would be limited to the size of sprocket because of the housing size.

The Original I bet was either done that way or it's stock gears as I bet he doesn't care since it's a "Show Queen" most likely.

I wanted to do it with a hydro ... who wants a gear drive anyway ????

Shifting was fun with a Borg Warner T10 and HURST Competition 4 speed shifter but when ya gets old an automatic is better , just put it in "D" for drunk and go !

A hydro high crop is doable, depending on how you want to build one, here is my old 127 high crop.
230729.jpg

230730.jpg

yes it can do field work
230731.jpg

I still have the 127 though is no longer a high crop, its now a parts tractor sitting out back.

Mike

Just as you said, tall back tires and streached the spindles to level the tractor.
Makes top speed aprox 12 mph.

If you look at the Original pic check out the drive belt coming off the motor. It looks to be very large by angle of the belt. That would speed things up quite a bit.

Randy

Randy, excellent eyes you have there. Me thinks you have solved the mystery.
thumbsup.gif
However, that won't work for any other model Cub Cadet due to them having a direct shaft drive.

Regarding Dan Hoefler's High Crop, he used chain drive in his drop axles. Here's a few photos of it.

230793.jpg

230794.jpg

230795.jpg

230796.jpg

Anyone have a close up shot of the rear of his tractor? Especially how he did the chain cases? I was being a little dense the other day and was not clicking in when you were all telling me about needing to use a chain drive to correct the drive rotation! DUH!
So would you use a single 60R or 80R chain or would you have to go to a double width chain because of the toque on it? I am not sure how much stress a chain can handle when driving wheels? Especially if you wanted to plow with it? Or would you even be able to do that because of the possible stress? Perhaps would have to stick to row crop cultivating??

Glen, those look to be 26's on 8.5" wide wheels.

Wow, Dan builds some nice stuff doesn't he! I am thinking he could have his own calender. Just tell me where to send the money!

Randy

Is there any high quality photos of Dans Creations? I love putting nice cub shots on the desktop of my laptop.

Randy

Latest posts

Back