• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

GT54 324 (190-324-100) mower deck spindle bearing replacing

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is supposed to be a spacer inside the spindle between the two bearings that sets the preload when the spindle is assembled and blade nut and pulley bolt are tightened. I have found that the spacers leave a bit to be desired, as most I have dealt with end up "wobbly" for lack of a better word when assembled using the spacer. When I went through the spindles on my deck, I replaced the spacers with a series of machine bushings and 0.010" and 0.005" shim washers, and then got each one set up so that there was just the slightest drag on the spindle with everything tight.

There is supposed to be a spacer inside the spindle between the two bearings that sets the preload when the spindle is assembled and blade nut and pulley bolt are tightened. I have found that the spacers leave a bit to be desired, as most I have dealt with end up "wobbly" for lack of a better word when assembled using the spacer. When I went through the spindles on my deck, I replaced the spacers with a series of machine bushings and 0.010" and 0.005" shim washers, and then got each one set up so that there was just the slightest drag on the spindle with everything tight.

reason I ask is because, one of my spindles locked up I assumed that the bearings where bad, so I started to take it apart by taking the nut off of the pulley and it freed the spindle up, put the nut back on but not as tight , and it spins freely now? the only thing I can find on googled is how to replace sealed bearings.

Is the spacer still in there? Almost seems like somebody took it apart and didn't put the spacer back in when they put it back together.

Is the spacer still in there? Almost seems like somebody took it apart and didn't put the spacer back in when they put it back together.
I took the top nut off the pulley while I was taking the pulley off I noticed that it would turn put the nut back on tight, it would not turn, loosen the nut up a little and now it turns? I have mowed three years with it never had any problems, grease them regularly
I have not taken it apart

If I were you, I would take that spindle apart and figure out what is going on before operating it.

I am going to pump it full of grease and mow, can't do anymore damage

How much you want to bet? LOL

You said in a previous post that you put the nut back on "not as tight" and it turned easier. That means that the spacer is missing or possibly worn from being loose. If everything is put together correctly and in good condition, the preload and therefore ease of turning the spindle will not change, regardless of how tight the nut is torqued. Now, yours may or may not be tight enough not to loosen during operation, and if that happens, I can assure you it can do more damage.

How much you want to bet? LOL

You said in a previous post that you put the nut back on "not as tight" and it turned easier. That means that the spacer is missing or possibly worn from being loose. If everything is put together correctly and in good condition, the preload and therefore ease of turning the spindle will not change, regardless of how tight the nut is torqued. Now, yours may or may not be tight enough not to loosen during operation, and if that happens, I can assure you it can do more damage.
I plan on staking it or putting some loc-tite on it

chances are the bearings are bad or the spacer was damaged you at least need two seals two complete bearins and the spacer Would not run this with just packing it full of grease. At the least you will loose a blade or pulley it will become a hand grenade with no pin

Attachments

• bearing spacer.png
    bearing spacer.png
    201.6 KB · Views: 249
I plan on staking it or putting some loc-tite on it

Why not just...fix it? If it hasn't been run this way long, the bearings may well be fine, and all you need would be a couple seals and a spacer or shim washer or two.

IMO, your band-aid fix is not going to work long term, and if it gets loose again, it will ruin pretty much the entire spindle and you'll be starting over.

I hear all your suggestions, but it makes no sense to me that it mowed fine last year and sat all winter, changed the oil and filter in the engine, started it up to go mulch some leaves the mower never turned just smoked the mule drive belt, that's when I started to tear it apart. if it blows up then then I will have to replace it, but for now it turns free with no noise, thanks for your advice

It may have spun a race in the aluminum housing, that happened to mine. I had to get a new alum housing and one of the outer steel spacers, and 2 seals. I did put new bearings in too.

I'd recommend getting the seals aftermarket (I don't have the PN offhand). The CC service replacements are neoprene and I don't have faith that they will hold up over time.

It may have spun a race in the aluminum housing, that happened to mine. I had to get a new alum housing and one of the outer steel spacers, and 2 seals. I did put new bearings in too.

I'd recommend getting the seals aftermarket (I don't have the PN offhand). The CC service replacements are neoprene and I don't have faith that they will hold up over time.
I used to work in a IHC years ago, what we did when a race spun in the housing we would take a prick punch and stake the housing in several places, then install a new race, saved the customer a lot of money and never had any comebacks

I hadn't considered that. Mine was pretty far gone so I don't think even if I had staked it, it would have held long term.

Loc-Tite brand has a bearing retaining compound that will also help save you a lot of worry. It's green, and buy their primer and use as directed. I've had a lot of success with that product.

Latest posts

Back