• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Don't hate me...I have a new LOVE!

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaytay

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Home of the Plow Special
I might as well be up-front with this one since somebody will snitch on me anyway...
rofl.gif

214227.jpg

Here's the rest of the details:
1969 John Deere 140

Theres only 3 JD's I'd ever consider owning and a 140 H3 is one. Got to plow with it yet?

Art, nice job! When do I get to stop over and test drive it?
dunno.gif

Art-

Very nice 140. I have recently had some experience with the green tractors and even had a 214 practically given to me. I don't care for the difficulty in repairs compared to the IH cubs though. They remind me of having to work on narrow frames requiring a lot from underneath. I got the 214 in good shape but nowhere near as nice as yours. It's also just the tractor with no attachments. I will sell it or trade it for cub stuff eventually.

I hope you're not fading over to the other side.

ART - Nice job! I'm kinda like Dave R., a 140H3 is one of the 2-3 JD's I'd own.

Your 140's K321 must be real close performance-wise to the one in my #72. Balanced by Dave, cam, etc.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I have to admit, I've had a 110 and I wasn't thrilled with it, (Too many belts, pulleys, and springs for me.) but these 140's are real impressive tractors.

JD really did their homework when they designed these machines.

Wayne-
Not fading, just adding another colored stripe on my shirt sleeve.
happy.gif

Art A. I was just kidding when I said that you'd be willing to trade. Yours is one sweet tractor.

Now I have to lay some blame on this latest escapade on what happened during the Door Prize drawing at Plow Day 9. Only electricians tape and John Deere coffee mugs were left to chose from and since I didn't need anymore tape the mug was the logical choice. NOW Charlie told me that he had taken an incriminating picture of me with a big smile holding that cup.... Well the coffee sure is good in almost any cup.

214916.jpg

When I finished plowing the neighbor's garden he mentioned that he had another tractor with a set of weights that he needed to get rid of since he never had time to fix it. He showed it to me and said that he had to give $10.00 apiece for the wheel weights and take the tractor and mower as part of the deal. Now as to what I paid for the tractor is what you can get any two any size Pizza Hut pizzas minus sales tax for. Soooo.. either I paid too much for the weights and got a free tractor or vice-versa. He was happy that he made his money back and was making some necessary shed space available. I am somewhat worried about what Dennis F. mentioned about the governor gears however Pat Zeroth and I should be able to do the labor ourselves. It is not an immediate project so we'll go over the winter with it. The side shields are in the truck and I need a grille for the front. From what I can tell it is a 1985. If I keep it will everyone still let me plow with the real tractors (Cub Cadets) at future Plow Days.?

214917.jpg

214918.jpg

214919.jpg

214920.jpg

214921.jpg

I'm open to suggestions here.... Keep it or not? I am partial to the power steering and dual brakes, dual hydraulics and the fact that three points aren't outrageously priced. What are others thoughts.

I've always wanted a 318 but those that have them really put a price on them. I can't imagine one being more problematic than a cub cadet. I believe cub cadet scrimped in several areas such as steering while the greenies made theirs plenty beefy. Fix it up and keep it! Life is too short not to enjoy a JD!

Marlin, Fix it up and keep it. You can't beat the price and its in good shape.

Melody and Jerry. Thank You for the thoughts and encouragement to keep it. Pat Z. and I got it to turn over yesterday afternoon. There is no spark and Pat felt compression coming from it. He's going to find his gauges to check it over more thoroughly. It does seem to be really well constructed. With the weather starting to turn cooler it may be skidded and shedded for a spring/summer project. Monday the forecast is for rain. And it always seems to turn cold/snowy just in time for the Dyersville National Farm Toy Show next month. Both Pat and myself have to start getting tractors ready for winter usage.
happy.gif

JERRY H. - The manual steering gearbox in the green tractors is the same ROSS gearbox used in CC's. The guys on the green tractor forum even link to Richard C's repair FAQ to fix them. The only difference is the length of the steering shaft & tube.

The factory ball joints on CC's only lasted 10-15 yrs but the Heim joints I installed on my CC 72 in 1985 are still tight after 25 years so I can't really say HOW long they will last.

The driveshaft used in the green 2-cylinder l&g tractors seems to be as weak and as problematic as in CC, just MUCH more expensive. My Buddy has taken to buying rather complete parts tractors as opposed to buying the replacment drive shaft anymore.

MARLIN - I did NOT like the governor setup on the ONAN when I first saw the design in the service manuals I got from Binder Books after I got my 982. And having run it for ten years I can truely say I like it even LESS now.

From what I've read most people just throw all new parts at the problem, new complete camshaft, the governor is part of the cam drive gear. Which also requires installng a new crankshaft gear on the crank. Plus complete engine disassembly. Parts total around $400. Some also grind the valves & replace rings but my Onan has about 300 hours on a COMPLETE rebuild, which I think was new O/S pistons, rings, rods, intake manifold, gaskets & seals. It was rebuilt before I bought the 982 so not sure on the details. Not sure if it got bearings, they're plain bearing inserts like an automotive engine.

The problem is the governor is a plastic wheel with 8-10 fingers extending out from a hub which is pressed onto the hub of the cam drive gear. The plastic expands when the engine gets warm/hot and slips on the hub. It then acts like the engine has slowed down and increased the throttle opening to compensate which over-speeds the engine. I keep thinking there has to be some way to install some sort of positive drive key into the hub to drive that wheel. Someone suggested JB Weld already. I'm thinking Woodruff key but don't like the idea of square corners being stressed on a plastic hub.

I'd keep it, fix it up. It'll make you appreciate your 782D. And always remember what My DAD said, "I keep one of those %&#@ green things around to remind me to NEVER Buy another one!"

Dennis F. Thank You for the input. It is the B43g engine. Since the $$$ invested so far is minimal I figure that I can work on it from time to time. However if someone wants to trade a complete nice loader that fits a Cub Cadet even up then I'll even throw in the wheel weights to the critter. If I had the money then I'd look for a nice 982 and put a Kubota diesel in that tractor. The 782D is one heck of a little tractor even with the small 400 CCA amp battery in it. One of these days I need to get the two way front blade redone and put it on, Someone would have a real hard time trying to ever convince me that a JD318 is better than a 782D.

Marlin I have read that the 318 is one of the most popular tractors JD ever made. They do hold their value. I'd like to have one myself.

I have been wanting a John Deere 455 every since I saw one. But instead I found this:

216211.jpg

A 1995 John Deere 445 - Basically a 455 but with a gas engine instead of the diesel engine. 22 hp liquid cooled Kawasaki engine, fuel injected, dual hydraulics, 18 inch front tires, 26 inch rear tires, 60 inch deck, tilt wheel, power steering, differential lock - a beast of a tractor weighing in at over 1000 lbs. It has a lot of hours, a few cosmetic flaws, but runs great. I pick it up next weekend.

Terry R. Nice find.
216215.gif

I'm thinking that the 318 that I got will take the place of my ex-father-in-;aw's John Deere B that my oldest son sold back to his oldest uncle. At least it stayed in the family.

Terry,
Nice tractor, looks like its ready for some serious work. When the time comes I will be looking for a 318.

Terry
Cubgratulations on your 445. That's one very nice tractor and I'm sure it's soon going to be your favorite. I've had a 425 for 12 years now and don't see any reason it won't be around another 20 yrs. It puts all my on topics to shame. I don't mow with any of my cubs anymore cause the 425 is a pleasure to drive and cuts better. Check ebay for parts to fix her up to like new condition. JH

Jerry,
Does your 425 have the 3 point hitch? I see that the 3 point hitch kits have it's own rock shaft - I just wonder if I can modify the existing rock shaft and make my own 3 point hitch. I'm not that familiar with the 4x5 series, but I think the standard rockshaft is on the rear of the tractor - it seems to me I should be able to modify it to use for a 3 point hitch.

Terry, not that it would help with the 3 point query but, somewhere in one of my file cabinets at home I have a brochure, might even have two or 3 variations of the brochures for the 425/445/455. I could dig it out and scan it for you. Let me know if you're interested. It would be a few weeks before I could get to it though.

Yes at one time I too lusted after a 455...

Kraig,
Yes I would appreciate that. Thanks - and no hurry.

Back