• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub LTX1045 Question

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpurvis

displayname
Charlie Purvis
I purchased a new LTX1045. At about 25 hours it started to backfire when engine is switched off. I did an early engine oil change, spark plug replacement, re-cleaned air filter. I am at 52 hours now and still have a backfire. I run engine normal then reduce engine RPM's to idle, but when its switched off it still backfires. It does run good when using! Any options???

Welcome Charlie, Best option..............a 25+ year old IH built Cub Cadet.
animatedihbear.gif

Sorry to be a smart a$$, I couldn't help myself.

LOL I guess that would be an option! I would think it would be a fuel/air problem, just not sure how to correct it. At least the neighbors know when I get done with the yard.

Newer MTD cubs are designed to be shut off at full throttle.

My late dad had a LT1040 that did the same thing if you idled it down befor shutting off.

The cub repair man at the shop he puchased it from told him not to idle it down, just shut it off. Stoped the backfireing.

Charlie P....Like Lonnie posted... In engine manual on page 7, Engine shutdown-- idle 30-60 seconds( WITHOUT shutdown solenoid ) then off. WITH shutdown solenoid - half to full throttle, then off. Manuals are online @ CCparts Lookup ^^^
WELCOME.gif

Paul is right. My 1045 started backfiring after about 25 hours, (the LCD screen was shot, so I never could keep track of the hours), and I found that I had to idle the engine for about 30 sec. before shutting her down to prevent the backfire.

Latest posts

Back