• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

73 cub 128 k301 advice

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchel daniel

kohler k301 question? this is in a 73 cub 128.
during and after cutting grass the gas in the fuel tank starts boiling.
not in the carb but the tank itself.
i have tried to read other threads.
should i have a heat shield between the top of the engine and bottom of the tank?
or is more of a valve sticking issue?
there are no shields on anything.
it runs great and starts up easily and the only other issue i have had with it is randomly if i start it to use it for something for less than 10 minutes it backfires when i turn it off but if i run for an hour to cut my yard i have no problems except i have noticed the fuel boiling in the fuel tank.
the vent hole on the gas cap seems to be clear.
any opinions will be helpful.

A mouse house under the blower housing it may have yes indeed. All heat sheilds must be in place. The points are not set correctly may be too far advanced. Do a static timing on the points.

thanks for the reply.
when i got this thing it had no heat shields.
i work for a hvac company as a pipefitter welder so making a shield is not a problem.
anyone have a pic of how the original looked so i can duplicate it for a starting point.
love my old stuff and have always had to deal with what the previous owner did or didnt do but this is my first cub much less a garden tractor.
thanks for any advice.

Latest posts

Back