• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub Cadet Sloppy Steering

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhoelzl

displayname
John Hoelzl
A friend bought one of the first Cub Cadets and came to me for help repairing the steering which was real sloppy. He thought it just needed a new follower pin for the worm gear, but looking at the design I had another idea. Rather than go through the whole thing without knowing if anyone is interested I thought I would just post some pictures that are fairly self-explanatory. I will be glad to answer any questions or even help with yours.
218183.jpg

218184.jpg

218185.jpg

218186.jpg

218187.jpg

John-

It seems the drawing suggest the bolt is bent. Have you determined this as fact? These plates are notorious for being heat bent since they were made, not necessarily the bolt. The cam follower might have something to do with the bend as well because of strain. It would be worth it to make sure. I use a flat edge and a press to ease it back flat. I've found more bent than not so far with my cubs.

Just a Friday nights .02 worth.....good luck!

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for writing. My drawing left something to be desired. Actually, the bolt hole was enlarged. With the housing it pivoted in being an aluminum casting it's understandable. Apparently, the assembly got allot of use because the bolt had been replaced and a new one welded in. It was pretty messed up and, yes, was bent a little. But not as my drawing shows; which was more of an attempt to illustrate the bell-mouth condition of the hole. The bend was at the join with the plate; which area of the bolt had been partially ground for some reason. However you look at it, though, the original design was faulty. Allot of pressure is exerted by the worm on the pin and, well, the evidence speaks for itself. The repair that I made is functioning well, so there is no luck required... but thanks, anyway.

John Hoelzel...

Puhleeze!! Hit the enter key after the text and after each picture so I don't have to have a 29 foot wide monitor to view your post!

Myron B

Latest posts

Back