• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub Cadet Pickup Projects:

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kendell, your second suggestion is actually more like what I have in mind. Except that I don't want to increase the width that much, so I won't be leaving any extra of axle beyond the pivot. I may have to move this project ahead of the Original refurb and the 125 refurb.....at least the cutting of the two axles so I can experiment with the front suspension.
bouncy.gif

Bruce, yes I'm aware of that, I did mention bump steer in one of the early posts. I have thought about adding trailing arms to add strength and as part of the coil over shock mounts, much like on a Polaris IFS snowmobile front suspension. Keep in mind that this won't be built for speed, just for hauling firewood. The suspension is mainly to replace the solid pivoting axle and because I want to try making it out of the axles.
happy.gif
I have also thought about tilting the pivots back slightly so that any bumps push the A-arms up and back, not just up. As for the R&P steering, not considering it at all, at this point I'm planning on sticking with the Cub steering column for the reasons I mentioned.

Jim, are you thinking of a transverse mounted leaf spring kind of setup? Like on some of the older Corvettes?
dunno.gif

Perhaps like this.
dunno.gif

74369.jpg

Probably better to just add the trailing arm......

Kraig,

I was thinking more like the tb in the old VW bug. They were made from a pack of thin bars. You could experiment with various rates easier that way by adding or taking out bars. As for the transverse spring, of course. Except at my age I compare it to the Model A (or T), or any Ford product up to 1948, not a johny-come-lately like a Corvette.

KENtucky, yep, that's it!
thumbsup.gif

Jim, then how about like like the front leaf spring setup on a horse drawn buggy?
err.gif

Kraig With that type of front will your toe in change when you hit a bump or increase your load?

I think without radius rods he'll rack it back against the frame. He may as well do like Kendell said ... he's going to end up with a twin I-beam configuration ... wearing off the inside tread of the tires when there's a load in the back just like Ferds do ! Toe in so bad it'll look pigion toed just like Ferds do ...

If he's riding around on dirt, leaves, etc. at a low speed, will some small amount of toe change really make any difference ! ??

Allen - Listen really close ... I was makin fun (tellin the truth) of Kendell's beloved Ferd I-Beams , which is what Kraig will have wether he wants to call it that or not. Only Ferd (and Kraig) could think of cutting a perfectly good solid axle in two and making it scuff the tires when a load in the rear raises the front.

KENtucky, the axles are not perfect they all have the wear from the mule drive pulleys.
happy.gif
Not gonna bend it back to the frame either as I will likely have a trailing arm setup. With no rear suspension I wouldn't think the front would be raising up much. Note how far back the rear axle is, not much rear overhang of the cargo box......
dunno.gif

Richard, I'm not too worried about bump steer or uneven wear. I won't be doing much driving on paved surfaces, mostly lawn or in my field and a little on my sandy gravel driveway. When you gonna scan and post your drawings?

If I do decide to not use Cub Cadet axles for the front suspension I will likely use a double A-arm suspension from either an ATV or a snowmobile. An ATV suspension would be the best as it would already have hubs to mount tires/wheels.

Kraig:
Two milk cartons on the back of this and you've got the perfect cub pickup...
74440.jpg

clappy.gif
He said he didn't want it to look like ... oh well forget that.

Kendell's playin with his new
new.gif
toy.

Kendell, not bad! Except I want side by side seating.

I forgot to mention lat night that the Cub Cadet Grizzly UTV has only a single A-arm in it's front suspension.

Interesting but not quite what I have in mind....

Art, thanks, I've been to that and likely every other UTV site on the internet looking for ideas. Those are interesting as they are electric vehicles, nice and quiet. If I had the money to buy a utility vehicle I'd give up the idea of making one, but I don't have any money.

Kraig-
But just think, with that thing you could sneak up on the kids who party at night on the HIGH BRIDGE by your house, fire off a couple blank 12ga rounds into the air, and be gone before they knew what happened!
err.gif

Talk about shock factor!
explotar2jr.gif
yikes.gif

Latest posts

Back