• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub Cadet 70

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tony,
Did the cubs belong to the residence you made the emergency call to? If not, did you go back later?

Just went on an ambulance call yesterday, when I got up the driveway I looked out into a field and there sit, at least, 7 Cubs. They are just sitting, dying in a field. They all looked pretty much intact. I think they just stop running and was parked. Not the time to inquire about them.
TONY - Dad made the mistake of selling the 70 I restored to a co-worker years ago, like 20 years ago, He traded a 3 year old original for the 70 brand new in 1965, it mowed two farm yards every week for 9 years then just the biggest yard for another 20 years, it wore out a couple new or rebuilt engines, but the tractor itself is amazingly tight. The co-worker who bought it had his kid mow his yard, last mowing of the year the kid shut the engine off after it mowed the last blade of grass and it coasted to a stop, and sat, and sat for a month or two, Dad knew it was sitting out, He could see it every day. Dad even told him to push it into the garage or else, which the guy had some smart remark in reply, so Dad put his ramps in his pickup, drove the 40 miles to work one Saturday morning, and stopped by the guys house about 4-5 AM, backed his truck in the ditch, set up the ramps, went over to the tractor, key was in it, He didn't need his spare key, It started, He ran it over to the truck, slowed to climb the ramps, then went on to work. Later that morning Dad saw the guy who bought it and Dad went right over and handed him back the three 100-Dollar Bills the guy paid for it. The guy made some smart azz comment but Dad didn't stick around to chit-chat. Dad and the other guy both drove fuel and fertilizer transport semi's. Anyhow, I was glad Dad got it back. SON & I both worked restoring it. SON welded up holes drilled in the hood for about ten hours one day, We both worked rebuilding the K-241 engine we put in it, I painted it, SON bought a pair of Deere wheel weights for it. I really need to put the decals on it. All new wire harness and voltage regulator.

Any idea’s on lining the engine mounting bolts up. Seems everything is all the way in and tight but at least a half of the hole or more off. New driveline and pins. Any ideas would be great. Thank you.

Any idea’s on lining the engine mounting bolts up. Seems everything is all the way in and tight but at least a half of the hole or more off. New driveline and pins. Any ideas would be great. Thank you. Thanks
Is this a 782 and is there double up rag joints and new balls on each end of the shaft mine had a wore spot on one end and had to re-weld it and true up to fit ball right !!!! Are the spacers tall and right size ????

On mine I had four mounting bolt spacers between engine and plate that were just over 1/2 inch tall and I ran washers on the bottom and started all four bolts at the same time

Here is the shaft parts on E-Parts

Attachments

• 7D8C76F3-D546-4E45-8533-C6C873733CD8.png
    7D8C76F3-D546-4E45-8533-C6C873733CD8.png
    121.7 KB · Views: 53
How about a photo or two, Jake? I don't remember much about the narrow frames, but I do remember they are different than the 782. No motor mounts as I recall. Just bolted to/through the frame.

Jake, what if the shaft is in backwards? Would that somehow account for the difference? I hate to ask, but once the problem is identified, you are that much closer to the solution even if it does involve rework.

I can get a 5/16 bolt in on the left side but then it’s kind of crooked. Pretty hard to get a picture of it also. And yes no mounts just bolts to the frame.

Attachments

• 7851EA6B-8E4B-438B-AB59-AAE73B5C1689.jpeg
    7851EA6B-8E4B-438B-AB59-AAE73B5C1689.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 6ABC71D9-2DBA-44EB-BB15-40FC4169BBD7.jpeg
    6ABC71D9-2DBA-44EB-BB15-40FC4169BBD7.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 95
  • F30E53B4-7713-437C-9C45-09884D0CD354.jpeg
    F30E53B4-7713-437C-9C45-09884D0CD354.jpeg
    40.2 KB · Views: 98
  • DFBAE539-E6AA-4231-BEB8-BC8062483125.jpeg
    DFBAE539-E6AA-4231-BEB8-BC8062483125.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 98
The bolts threaded up from the bottom then a nut goes on top.
Lock down the clutch pedal so you can move the engine around to get the bolts in.

Thank you and yes they do come up through the bottom and I did clean out and chase the threads while it was out. And locking the brake pedal down just releases the transmission side for me. Absolutely no play on the engine/drive plate side. It’s like the new driveline is just a touch off on where the roll pin goes through even though I did check and recheck it. I got a week to contemplate it while I work my 60 hr week now.

Thank you and yes they do come up through the bottom and I did clean out and chase the threads while it was out. And locking the brake pedal down just releases the transmission side for me. Absolutely no play on the engine/drive plate side. It’s like the new driveline is just a touch off on where the roll pin goes through even though I did check and recheck it. I got a week to contemplate it while I work my 60 hr week now.
Did you get that motor to mount up Jake?

Yes Robert I did get some bolts in and have had it running but now I can’t get the damned clutch to release correctly. The plates release but the damned thing won’t release so it will drive right off my lift or I can’t get it in gear while running. I’m glad this is my first one refurbishing and it’s been fun. Decided to take a break and start running all new wiring. I will post a video and pictures this coming weekend. I don’t work on it during my work week.

Thank you. I’m sure it’s something simple but very frustrating. I’ve got mixed feelings weather I like the hydro or gear drive better. I’ve had my 4 digit original running and driving it around a while back to. So cool.

Latest posts

Back