• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub Cadet 60

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everybody! After many years of dragging brakes when passing a mower shop and internet searches, I finally aquired a mint condition Cadet 60 riding mower. It was said to be stored for over 30 yrs. This is a mid 1970, recoil start. For thosse Cadet 60 fans amungst us, the uniqueness if the forward/reverse implementation lies in the additional PTO pully from the Tecumseh engine's camshaft, yes, camshaft! (rotates in the opposite direction at 50% speed) That is probably why IH put a Tecumseh engine on this platform, when Kohler & Brigs were its mainstays.

Here is a pic of it being unloaded in Connecticut. (I drove out to Indiana to pick it up - that's how adement I was about these strange little machines!)
94022.jpg

William, wow! Nice find, that is a beauty!
greenthumb.gif
More photos please.

William,

When I went to pick mine up I loaded it up in a mini-van too. Rolled right in. I'm going to fix mine up for my girls 3 yrs. and 1 yr. to ride one day. Sort of a slow go-kart.

Howdy again all! Cadet 60 update time. Well, I performed a little TLC - removed the mower deck, replaced the rider drive belts (mower belts were fine), tightened up the steering thru bolt, and greased and lubed all points. Found that the chain was loose, so adjusted the idler. Found out the rear axle had about 1/2" of play (perhaps lack of bearing grease?). Started up, and watched the oil flow out of every imaginagle place on the engine. Gaskets must have dried out. Anyway, undaunted, re-connected mower and cut the front lawn. Loved it!! Had to sponge up the oil left in the rear engine deck. You can guess what I'll be doing this winter with a complete gasket set in hand! I'll post some pics of the work tonight.

Hi I am new to this forum I think I just posted this question in the wrong spot. So here goes again. I just picked up a cadet 60 with Tecumseh V60-70149G engine. Problem is it is missing the intake manifold, carburetor,elbow,and air filter. Does anyone have any idea were to find this stuff. I have been Googleing and ebaying. Thank You

Gary F.
Welcome to the forum and yes you posted in the right place.
thumbsup.gif

Put a Want Ad in the classifieds and I'll bet you'll get replies.

Very cool looking riding mower. I jusy happen to have a Cub Cadet 85, just like your 60 but white. A few years back I took off the 8hp and put a 10 hp B&S, unfortunately the drive pulley on the transmission went bad, replaced it with a smaller one for more ground speed. Now waiting to test that out. Mine came with the original bagger. Did some other mods as in spring mounted and hinged the seat. Easier on the back side. Also came with bumpers. It is one neat little rider.

Brad B, Gary F: Uuuunnnnh, Unnnnh...the Cadet Model 60 and the Cadet (NOT Cub Cadet!) Model 85 are both Rear Engine Riders (RER) from IH, but that is where the similarity ends. The engines are different, the transmission is different, and the forward/reverse pedal operation is totally different. I own both models. Major surgery would be required to transplant a larger (B&S??) engine into the Model 60 chassis....and then it wouldn't be a Model 60.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Pardon my mistake, The "Cadet 85" I own does have a Briggs and Stratten 10 hp that replaced the 8 that was on it. When it thaws out I will take some pictures and posts them. My "Cadet 85" only has one Brake/Clutch pedal and the transmission has reverse, no secondary drive pulley coming out of the engine. Was like that when I got it, so not sure if first owner modified it. Does anyone have the manual on a "Cadet 85" that I may look at??

Brad B: You have corrrectly described the type engine and pedal arrangement on all the other IH RERs. The Model 60 (the first one) was the only one which was Yellow and to have a Tecumseh engine, and two pedals, one for fwd and one for rev. The Model 60 transmision does not have a reverse gear like the others do.

Here is an extract from a Model 85 Operators Manual (it's 35 pages ), IH Publication 1 084 449 R5 (Mine is dated 6-79). Earlier editions of this manual have a Yellow/White front cover and lower R numbers.

If you need a specific page (subject area) let me know I'll try to help...

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom
113950.jpg

113951.jpg

Howdy everybody!

Does anyone know if there were patents issued for the Cadet 60 RER? Also who the principal designers for it back in the mid 1960s may have been?

Thanks! Bill B.

I just bought a cadet 55 was wondering if anyone had any info on the date when it was made and also where to find parts for it. Thank you Jessica Dulitz

Hi I am trying to remove the body off of my cadet 60. Removing the steering wheel has been an all day fight and it is still winning. Anyone have any suggestion to help remove it?
Thank You
Gary

Hi Jessica D..Just read your post. Sorry about the delay...the Model 55 was made from 1972-1983. If you look at that plate just to the left of the engine and get me the Serial Number, I can tell you in whch year it was made. Any of the Sponsors (click on the colored boxes at the top of the page) are likely to have parts for it...Even I have probably have some..

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Hi Gary J... Let's see if we can make a molehill out of your mountain...
lol.gif

Tools needed:
1) Lots of PB Blaster!
(not some that other stuff that doesn't work!!)
2) A Roll Pin Punch (for the Spirol Pins)

3) Patience...

Just above the "pedestal" in the chrome shaft you will find a spirol pin. In the hub,just under the spokes of the steering wheel itself there is another spirol pin.

Because most of these machines have been exposed to the elements, removing either or both requires lengthy soaking with PB Blaster. This is where the patience comes in...Blaster does indeed work but it isn't instant magic..Keep the pin(s) you want to remove soaked for a day or two.

Then using a Roll Pin Punch you will be able to remove them. There are no splines involved so keep the holes from which you just removed the spirol pins wet for a while... you should be able to begin rotating the pieces and they will separate.

Below is what a roll pin punch looks like...see the litle ole 'pip' on the punch end...That's the secret of a roll pin punch...They sell'em at Sears and other tool sources.

153919.jpg

Hope this helps

Myron B

Hi Myron
First thank you for responding. I got the pins out, but the steering wheel or the chrome shaft will not move. I would like to heat the hub on the steering wheel but I do not want to damage the chrome. My other idea was to use a gear puller on the steering wheel. What do you think?
Thank You
Gary

Gary J: I'm not fond of using any kind of puller on Cub Cadet or Cadet steering wheels, so I 'm not gonna vote for that one...

Using a little heat might help but remember, I said to keep the pin holes wet for a couple of days....so that the PB Blaster has time to penetrate into all that 40 or so years of rust.

With the pins out, simply turning the steering wheel left and right, while pulling upward, should eventually loosen things to get them moving. Remember there are no splines..The pin/bolts are what originally kept the sections turning as a single unit...Now, it's just the rust...PB Blaster will get it loose. Some heat might also help the Blaster to siphon upwards...You might try some tool that vibrates....That'll help also... just be careful not to damage the pieces.

Also notice that just below the steering wheel hub, there is the connecting joint with the chrome tube...make sure you also keep that wet...PB Blaster will get in there...

I did make an error in my previous post...the bottom "pin" isn't a spirol pin at all...it's a 5/16" "steering shaft bolt" per the TC-120 Parts Manual (later models did use a spirol pin there)

The upper one is indeed a 1/4 x 1-3/8 coiled spring pin (a spirol pin)

Note. Spirol was a brand of the coiled springs which became the common generic term for coiled springs kinda like "coke" became a common term for all colas not just Coca Cola.

Myron B

I have a 1971 Cadet 60 that I've been working on in my 4H Piston Pushers Club. I have the overhaul manual but it does not have a good picture of the carburetor linkage.
Could someone please post or send me a good photo.
Thank you very much.
Aron

Back