Crazy or what

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdeephouse

displayname
Roger Deephouse
im looking for a project and have found a 1641 with a junk motor but all else is there with a deck and a blade for couple hundred bucks so it will need a new motor or atleast a used freshend up motor or i found a 782 that runs kinda rough but nun the less runs for 500 bucks with no attachments and not to bad of shape with hydro lift. now all im looking for a tractor to do is push or blow snow and bomb around the yard i have a new lt1050 for mowing, ive never really have done a cub restore but think i would like one as a project to fix up like new and kinda like the red ones but hear the 17 kohler not the best of motors and i kinda like the cyclops and would like to put in an 18 kohler mag once agine this would be just a play tractor for a guy that has too much time on his hands and has never done anything like this befor. but built my share of motorcycles so no stranger to a wrench, so i ask wich one would make a better project the 782 might need a new motor in the end anyhow but has better plastic but more up front money and i pretty much know up front on the 1641 its a complete motor job up front but some cracks in the plastic. and both i have a couple hr drive for, or am i just crazy? go ahead flame away

It gets real simple for me anyway. The 1641 can't run so past listening for the pto to click you can't check anything on it. The 782 runs so you can check everything. Yes the KT17 doesn't have a good reputation but then you hear of some that have a bunch of hours. the point is if the crankcase holds oil and that oil doesn't blow out the exhaust hard when it runs theres a chance it's running bad because of something simple, or more likely several little things. I'll end this with it's your money, your time, do what you want.

I'm with Dave...additionally, the 1641 has a different hydro pump than the Sundstrand hydro pump in all the earlier Cub Cadets and is not as durable from what I've heard. The paint quality on the 1641 is horrible, as are all of the structural plastic parts. The wiring on those tractors is overly complex and failure-prone. The 782 is a much better machine in my opinion.

its just that the 782 is over 300miles away now thats crazy even thinking about that to consider going that far to get a cub i must be off my rocker

Roger D. Over 300 miles for a 782 versus the 1641 and you think that is far???? Good heavens .... go for the 782. The 1641 hydro won't last as long as the 15U will because it wasn't made to last as long. It is a lighter duty system. As for distance to acquire a Cub Cadet when thinking about driving... I've done crazier things in life. go for it and stop thinking about the drive.

Roger D: Of course, it's Texas..so 300 miles? Why,that's just down the road around here... I've traveled that distance several times and would again...
Shift.gif

Myron B

Roger Deephouse Thats just a Sunday drive lol. I drove from here(1hr south of Halifax Nova Scotia Canada) to 10 minutes they tell for the White House in the USA for a 125 Cub Cadet in the winter. Just a great trip I had and will do it again for the right tractor. Later Don T

Yes, he did.
coffee.gif

184268.jpg

He even remembered to drive on the right hand side of the road after he crossed the border.
biggrin.gif

ok now you guys got me thinking, a member has one for sale and ther is a repowered one on flebay. hmmm what to do

ok im im just about to jump on the 782 what things do i need to know about a 782? like what kind of problems or trouble to look for and what kind of upgrades can and should be made?

OK I got the 782 home and she looks good just like she should and its not a show tractor i bought it to put it to work and it looks plenty good for that, now for some more agresive tires,a little front end work and change out the fluids and just wait for it to snow lol

Latest posts

Back