• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cherry Picker Concept

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

kpeaney

Had a few things laying around and decided to make a small cherry picker for items under 200 lbs. Looking for any guidance and ideas you folks may have. To me, the more input before you start, the more enjoyable the end result. Look over the pics and let me know what else may be needed. I already know I will have to beef up and support things better.

222500.jpg

222501.jpg

Kenneth P. Not too shabby at all.
happy.gif
Only thing I'd do is move the hoist a bit towards the front (hitch) and off the top of the axle. That way when you lift the object that you're toting will take less weight from the rear of the tractor. Moving forward won't let the hoist pivot quite as easy. Just a suggestion, though.

I have rethought this concept and have a totally different way to go. I will only use the axle and axle mount portion of the trailer. I will use two pieces of 4"x3" angle as cross members, raised high enough to allow the 1.5" pipe tongue to go through the front angle to the rear one. This will lower the post attachment and move forward from center of axle. I need to see how high the jack will raise the lift, so I can figure out the post height. I want to be able to use this to put things into/ out of a pickup bed. There will be no swing of the boom, only straight in line.
Hope you can figure out what I wrote. I have a hard time following my thought processes sometimes.

Jeremiah, if you look at the pic of the trailer, about all I would use of it would be the axle. It is hard to explain. Hang loose a few and I will rough sketch a top view.

Here is a sketch looking down on the frame. The 3" flange of the angle is what I would bolt the post to. Didn't show the axle, as I am not sure where it will be till I go outside and do some measuring.
222532.jpg

Hope this helps.

KennyP

Forget all my bright ideas of using the axle mount. Just looked over it and saw one tire about to blow. Wheels are rusted to the axle. Going to plan C. I have a receiver hitch adapter for a sleeve hitch and some 2" heavy wall square tube. Also have a large rectangle of 3/4" plate. How much does a K341 weigh? That is the first item I need this for, pulling the motor for repairs.

TOM H. - I agree on the outriggers. Any time you get weight very high off the ground on any type of mobile equipment you have to be extremely careful of tipping, swinging,

KENNY - You get 200# hanging off that chain on that arm or boom you're putting HUGE bending forces at the bottom of the post the arm is attached to. The pipe-to-plate joint looks well gusseted but you have to make sure the plate stays securely attached. I'd recommend a "doubler plate" at least as thick as the top plate under the chassis to distribute the load or force. If the arm/boom swing to the sides then like TOM says, OUTRIGGERS...

Dennis and Tom H., thank you for the input. The trailer idea is gone for now, as it wasn't strong enough to handle the stress and tires are shot. Just have to figure out how I can pull my 341 and get it to a table for tear down. I have a base for the post made out of 1/4" wall 2" square tube, but has 2" steel casters. This won't move on grass. May have to set this up where I can pull the motor, move the tractor, then set a table under the motor. There's a way, just need to think it thru. Thanks all.

KennyP

KENNY - A K341 should weight around 150#. I used to lift K241/301/321's by myself in & out of CC's. But I let SON help me now. He's around 225-240# himself and I just get in the way.

Years ago I made a skid out of a couple 2X4's 4 ft long, a piece of 3/8" plywood 2 ft X 4 ft and a small length of chain say 4 ft long. I could drag 600-800# of concrete block with my CC 72 with no weights, chains, or ag lug tires if it was dry ground. If it was wet ground 200-300# was about it.

Thank you, Dennis. I figured the weight about right. I have no one close to help with lifting. A skid works, but still have to get motor out and onto skid. Then off skid and up to a better working height. Knees don't work like they used too.LOL I may just invest in a piece of plywood to work these things off of.

KENNY - Anything close to being above the engine you need to remove? Block & tackle can lift a lot more than a man can with little effort.

I hung a 5.0L Ford V8 off about four 2X4 rafter trusses in my shop years ago.

Guess I'm lucky, I don't have to start scratching my head for ways to lift stuff till it exceeds 1500 pounds.

Guess I didn't explain the situation. I would need a 'Sky' hook. This is being done 'under the sun and stars'. Don't even have a tree, so I am not a 'shade tree mechanic'. I have a small shop building, but only has a people door. Won't fit thru there. So I need to use the cherry picker some how. I have been batting around the idea of a rolling GT type frame for mounting the lift to later.
KennyP

My tuck-under garage has a steel I beam supporting it so I use a come along and a couple of old hooks from some old ratchet straps and clevis-hook for pulling small engines.

222581.jpg

One of these days I'm going to add a reinforced wood beam in my shed for working on the Cubs. For outside work I use the old swing-set that I built for my daughter. She's now 16 and doesn't use it anymore so I may as well make use of it.
happy.gif
While I have not yet used it to pull any engines I do hang parts on it for painting now and then.

222582.jpg

Aha, I'll watch for a freebie swing set. Gonna have to be a strong one thought.
Kraig, Great ideas. Wish I had a slab to bolt the post to, that would be great. How much concrete would I have to pour to mount this thing to?

Kenny, I think if I were to make an outdoor fixed location hoist, I'd dig two 4' deep post holes a few feet apart and place a 6" x 6" pressure treated posts in each hole. Then build a platform on the two posts to mount the hoist to.
dunno.gif
But then I do have the swing-set so I've not given it much thought...

222584.jpg

KRAIG - My Buddy bought my Dad's 500# cap. chain fall type chain hoist at Dad's last auction five hears ago. Dad & I "Stress-Tested it to over 1000# lifting force about 20+ yrs ago. Buddy has that hoist attached on a rolling trolley to a I-beam about the size of yours. He uses it for working on his BIG tractors.

Your beam and cable hoist looks about how I hoisted that 5.0L Ford years ago. I only had to raise the engine enough to block it up to pull the oil pan to R&R the oil pump & pickup. Oil pan had a hump in the middle to clear the K-member so the engine had to be raised about 6-8 inches.

KENNY - I think Kraig is on to something for you. Set a couple posts, 4X4's would even work, then use a block & tackle, come-a-long, etc to lift the engine, skid it to where you can work on it.

Richard Christensen showed pic's a couple years ago of an over-head hoist beam on rollers he made special for working on CC's. He made it specially small so it just worked on CC's so it couldn't get "Borrowed". Something similar could be made from wood but I don't know how easily it could be made to roll around.

Good ideas. I came up with another. Use a rolling GT chassis, mount the lift just behind motor location at bottom of frame. Set up some outriggers. Put a bed where the seat was to set object for moving. Anyone got a rolling chassis to donate? I would be happy to loan to forum members.

Back