• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Case garden tractors

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kclark

displayname
kevin clark
i just got a Case 220 and i think it could use a hydro oil change. what king of oil should i use. a guy on the green tractor forum said that ATF would work fine. what do the experts think.

Evidently you think the "green tractor forum" has the "experts" since you asked there first so why bother us ?

Hey Ken, it's not our site/forum so is it really our place to tell a guy he is bothering us???

My 644 Case with a loader uses 40 wt motor oil per the book.The atf is probably too thin The trans has gear oil in it as the hyd motor turns the trans.

Jeff - I would have to disagree, that Case 444 has been running ATF in the hydro for over 20 years & is still going strong.

The local Case/Ingersoll/? dealer advised my friend to use 15-40 in the hydro transmissions. I was surprised when I bought it to learn that's the recommended oil in my Scag Tiger Cub's hydraulic drive (pump/gearmotor) also.... I would have assumed hydraulic fluid..

Hey guys,
My friend just got a Case from the neighbors for 50$. It was sitting in the woods for ten years or so, we had to pull it out of the woods with a dozer. It had a stuck valve and the starter had a nest in it along with corroded points etc. We have no info on this machine. What model # would it be? Anyway the real question is how much valve clearance should it have because itere is an 1/8" or so now. One valve had 1/4" so the engine was popping. The only info I have is num. A470001B002329*

69214.jpg

Guys 10w30 and 15w40 tend to run cooler than hydrolic oil in some applications. I've run motor oils in fertilizer truck hydrolic systems because of that for years. None ever had an oil related problem (drivers were another story
bash.gif
)

I run Shell Rotella T 15W 40 in my Case garden tractors with hyraulic drive. Whenever I pick up a new to me case I always change hydraulic oil and depending on the condition of the oil and particles in it that drain out I sometimes change the oil again after 10-20 hours of work.

how good is a case 444, thinken of geting one

Describe what you mean by "good" and we may be of more useful assistance.
The Case tractors are hydraulic not hydrostatic drive(will explain later if wanted), have a wide variety of attachments similar to cc, and as far as I'm concerned have a decent lawn-cut.
They used kohler and onan engines.
Hope this helps!

Matt. Only thing my Dad had against the Case garden tractors (the older ones) was they developed leaks. I agree with Earl. If I had the room and the $$$ I wouldn't mind owning one. I had a Case 210 about five years ago. It had the Peerless transmission in it. Seeing the grass come out the left side was hard to get used to. I had to sell it. The snowthrower went to Illinois and the tractor and deck went to Minnesota. Go for it and be sure to post some pics of it.

I have a friend that wants me to buy his 155, I have looked at it and although it is built well it doesnt seem to catch my eye like Cubs do. It is however, in really nice shape. He cant get it to run. I told him to change the points and condenser first and foremost. It does have a K241 in it and unlike the K's I have in my Cubs it has a fuel pump on it! I thought maybe that is clogged or maybe even the fuel bowl screen is clogged. He hasnt done anything with it as far as I know. It even has the original wheel wieghts on it and a very nice deck. He said $350 and it was mine but I'm not 100% sure I want it.

Scott S. I had to refresh my mind as to what the 155 looks like. Click Here 155. They are a neat little machine. If I recall patterned after the earlier COLT garden tractor. Scroll down the site page and check out the crawler version of this tractor. Before replacing the items that you mentioned I would first answer these questions.

Is there good compression?

How long has it been sitting? Fuel getting to the carburetor? If not check fuel pump, lines, etc.

Is there spark? If not check and find out why? It may be as simple as cleaning and resetting the points. Check the wiring if needed. You know all the standard items you would on any other tractor.

For the price.... Negogiate.... be honest and suggest a lower price. (I would love to have one of those little fellas. Especially after seeing the restored picture on the site I mentioned.) Remember while negogiating to let him know those replacement mufflers are PRICEY if they are still available. I would try to go for $200.00 starting and go from there. Are there any manuals? I hope this helps.

Summing up. You can always sell or swap it for a Cub Cadet.

Hopefully this info is not too late, the fuel pump diaphragm may be bad. A common problem on my cases. I replaced my 220's(has a k-241) mechanical pump with an electric one. They are good tractor's but are not cubs. I just bought a 446(onan opposed 16hp twin) off my buddy with a busted rear axle to finish my other 446. I'm a fan of the old colts/cases/ingersoll's because of they're hydraulic drive units. Gonna try the camera this weekend and hope to get a couple pics.

Earl; I like this one. There were several cases at the crossville Tenn. show this year. After 6 pictures my camera went south. Here is a interesting tractor. Also this J D is really sharp.
153923.jpg

153924.jpg

That red one is kinda cool. I don't remember who made that one but AC also made one similar and there is another company that still makes one like that. Tuff-bilt
I have an idea for a Cub 4X4 that I want to build but I need to find 2 Case rear axles first.

Latest posts

Back