Building a Better PC

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Firefox as my go to browser and was playing around with the "personas" app. and made one. Just a trial run as I will tweak it if approved. Here is a preview...

227912.jpg

My computer building days are over. I used to build at least 3 a year for Family and friends and usually used OLD proprietary boxes from Gateway or Dell for the nostalgia factor and outfitted them with the latest guts. I'll admit it was alot of fun and could be challanging when the new MOBO didn't fit the back panel nor the standoff's not to mention the wiring for the front panel functions. But it was fun and one such box ended up painted pink with little ceramic drawer openers on one side to hang trinkets and sported multicolored fan lights. This was for my Granddaughter.

Now I run a Quosmio x-505 laptop with SSD's viewed through dual Acer 23" monitors and love it. I day trade the stock market so dual monitors are almost a must.

They just approved the "persona" at Firefox.
Have a look and make suggestions!!

https://www.getpersonas.com/en-US/persona/422731

That's pretty cool...just added it to mine
happy.gif

I might have to make one out of my own photos...how difficult is that?

Thanks, Ken, that saved me about $15...those happened to be what I was intending to get in the first place
happy.gif

Ken-

The one I'll be building will have very similar specs, and a few things that one doesn't have.

I'll eventually find my 'warm and cuddly' dream date...it'd probably help if I started looking
lol.gif

KentuckyKen:

Take a gander at the LG units for your living room some time. They really do have the eye candy factor of the Samsungs, but none of the Samsung pricing. My wife and I have had a 46" LG for about seven months now, and we love it. No regrets, and half the price of the comparable Samsung it was right next to in the store. The LG stuff is currently priced similarly to the Vizio stuff, but it looks, fits, and functions far better. They are definitely gunning for Samsung's spot in the TV and monitor market.

FWIW: I apparently spent more time testing and playing with settings than anyone else the store employees had ever seen. I spent about two hours in the store comparing and adjusting units between 42" and 47" inches, but that was only after spending about 30 hours researching at home.

Matt: I'm glad to hear you landed in Whichita. My parents lived there for two years in the mid 1970's. I have very good memories of my visits there. I remember, in particular, an amusement park with a wooden roller coaster that was a lot of fun.

You never know when "warm and cuddly" will strike, but you're right: it seems to happen a lot more quickly when you open yourself up to the possibility.

May God bless you every endeavor.
smile.gif

KCA - I like tvs / monitors with as small a frame as possible. I don't like any frame do-das distracting from the screen so any brand with a tiny frame will get my vote.
I've seen some pretty good deals on LG @ Wally world but the 'ol lady doesn't seem to think we need another big screen. I keep telling her that an LED will have a better picture than our plasma and that the plasma would look good in the garage or da shack.
Also and a BIG <font size="+2">ALSO</font> is the fact that the plasmas make a really good room heater !
It erks me that I paid $1200 for that sucker and look how cheap the LED , HDMI flatscreens are now.
My HTPC MOBO has S/PDIF and HDMI and I'm only using the S/PDIF on the receiver amp and not getting the HDMI benefits.
Come to think of it I don't believe my Dish Network HD dual receiver has HDMI output either ... will have to check on that later !

MOBO and 24" will be here before end of day ...
This Hanns-G 19" widescreen will go into the HTPC wall. Good thing I made the inset 20" wide as this 19" is 18" wide. I made the flatscreen inset big enough for a bigger flatscreen too ... and she never questioned why ...
1a_scratchhead.gif

Matt - Confucius say:
Man that does not look for warm and cuddly must take leftovers ...
biggrin.gif

I'd like you to meet Miss Warm and Cuddly 2010
228055.gif

<font color="0000ff">BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH</font> just found me !
Onboard video graphics couldn't handle it ...

Allen - Knock yourself out ... or you want me to do it ... ?
nutbags.gif

228094.jpg

Delivery
I thought it was the MOBO coming but it was the CPU

228095.jpg

228096.jpg

228097.jpg

Mine came today...the best I could do at the moment was plug them into my laptop one at a time and make sure they work, which they do. Now I need to get the rest of the stuff (and build a desk).

228116.jpg

They are certainly nice and wide
happy.gif

Now I'm even more anxious to get everything else and get the whole thing going. I gotta be patient and try to wait for deals. It's not like I have anything better to do, it's certainly not nice outside...

228117.jpg

Matt - We bought them just in time ... $169.99 now !
Have you got the i7 yet ? That place I sent you the links for the stands had one on a page I was looking at today for $309

i7 cost more than double what my AMD FM1 does ... just to much $$$ ... could buy a cool case fer dat !

Oh and the 1Ts are gone ... I waited to long ...

Ken-

Not yet, I'm hoping for a sale in the near future. Just bought the case on Newegg...it was $10 less than last week, and 1 cent less than Tigerdirect. Newegg had a deal on 2TB HDs that just ended today, but I'll be patient...I think HDs are their most often-discounted item.

OK, you fellas been building PC's that could guide a spaceship somewhere.
I got tired of this old 'box' thats 10 yrs old and went to TigerDirect. Found a sale PC that looked more than ample but still at a price I liked. Its on the TD home page as one of the rollings ads. Made by Lenovo..$399...4 times present speed and 8 times the memory. Take a look, anything else I need?? (probabily DVD's for S/W backup) thx A.

Allen, my calculator has more computing power than was on board the Apollo spacecraft to get it to the moon.

Even your old computer would have been capable of that
lol.gif

I will have some CPU-intensive tasks in the near future, so I need something pretty powerful. Some things may still take days, nonetheless.

Latest posts

Back