• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

broken frame at engine mount

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thadscub

Hi guys I had a major failure plowing snow I broke the frame at the the left front engine mount can the frame be welder and be strong enought or do I need to replace the frame thanks thad

As Digger posted, yes it can be welded, however it's a good idea to mention what model tractor and a little better description of the break. Also, Gary's suggestion of a photo would really help the forum to help you. Besides, we like photos here. :)

As Digger posted, yes it can be welded, however it's a good idea to mention what model tractor and a little better description of the break. Also, Gary's suggestion of a photo would really help the forum to help you. Besides, we like photos here. :)
He's already got tons of answers on FB, some of which are totally ignorant, but!!!!!

My question would be what the h**l did he hit.... I've been using BRS for 40 years..... (even before I knew it was BRS)... and have never damaged the frame.... they have been wide frames / Quietlines.... but still. I've tripped a blade many times, and even ended up on he hood a few times.... but never crossed my mind that I would hurt the frame......

Okay I tried taking a good picture broke the web of the frame where the front axle bracket is welded to the frame on the left side

Attachments

• IMG_20210315_183416_254.jpg
    IMG_20210315_183416_254.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 301
It's dirty, and the machine is probably worn out. So, if/when you pull the engine to weld up the crack, you may find more issues that were hidden by the engine, or engine issues that were hidden by the frame.

Heck, there could even be another frame crack that's hidden underneath the engine!

Hi guys I had a major failure plowing snow I broke the frame at the the left front engine mount can the frame be welder and be strong enought or do I need to replace the frame thanks thad

Without benefit of a picture to help determine how rusty the frame is and what damage the break did to the mounting hole/holes I would still think that it can be welded and that this would be the best route to go. A replacement frame can be hard to find and with a certified welder the break area can actually become stronger than it was before the failure. Good luck!

I've gotta agree with Dave Schwandt, have to get a pressure washer, or a can of GUNK Foaming engine cleaner and spray that whole area then spray with a garden hose and nozzel. See how long the cracks really are. And you will have to remove the engine to repair the frame.
Thing called HEAT EFFECTED ZONE where welds are made causes that type of cracking. Welding also causes HYDROGEN EMBRITTLEMENT, the area right next to the actual weld gets heat-treated, made harder, and resists flexing which puts the steel next to the weld at much greater stress. Which causes it to crack. It's the nature of the process. Once you determine the ends of the cracks, drilling a small hole right at the ends of the crack, 1/8th to 3/16ths inch in diameter will spread the stresses and keep the crack from migrating any farther. Where the front axle channel gets welded to the frames is a perfect spot for these heat effected zones & hydrogen embrittled cracks to start spreading.
I had a lift lever on the mid rockshaft of my '72 crack and break off due to the side pressure my belly blade put on the lever. Broke about 1/8th to 3/16th inch away from the round rockshaft.

Thad,the number one in a good weld is a clean surface to begin with.Paint,grease, and rust all have a bad effect on penetration.Don't have a power washer,rent one or take it to your local d.i.y. self carwash.Dave is totally correct you may/may not find more things that need repair.All the riders I work on get powered first. I'm used to greasy hands but don't like to overlook something either.

Latest posts

Back