• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Best ignition coil

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zkoester

displayname
zachary lee koester
Good afternoon everyone,
Looking to see what ignition coil everyone has the best luck with. The old Acdelco ones seemed to be a good choice but in today’s world nothing seems to last. So what’s everyone’s go to? RockAuto has a bunch if you have a part number I can use. Thank you!
IMG_2916.jpeg
This will be for my 1200 and 70

Attachments

• IMG_0345.jpeg
    IMG_0345.jpeg
    955.7 KB · Views: 0
Good afternoon everyone,
Looking to see what ignition coil everyone has the best luck with. The old Acdelco ones seemed to be a good choice but in today’s world nothing seems to last. So what’s everyone’s go to? RockAuto has a bunch if you have a part number I can use. Thank you!
View attachment 154656This will be for my 1200 and 70

Something wrong with using a sponsor that helps keep the site going? 👍

https://www.kirkengines.com/

I went through a couple of coils on my 1250, then remembered seeing a suggestion here to mount the coil to the tractor frame. Been working fine since then, away from the heat and vibration. However I’m sure if you buy the the Bosch from Kirk as others have suggested it’ll be fine.

Good afternoon everyone,
View attachment 154656This will be for my 1200 and 70
Bosch Blue from Kirk Engines !

Thank you guys for the recommendation on buying the Bosch Blue ignition coil from me. Sorry to say that I no longer carry these coils. After COVID, price went through the roof on these plus they've become very difficult to get.

If you are having a lot of coils go bad, you may have other issues causing this.
I may be wrong thinking off the top of my head, but voltage regulator popped up in my tired mind.
CCSpecialties has some nice coils. ;)

If you cannot find the coil thru our sponsors, I would suggest looking up the input and output OHMs Specs and look at totally other sources. My 872 is a different engine all together, but after having OEM coils bubble out and crack after every super cold winter, I found a Harley Davidson coil with the same 4 Ohm/ 8 Oh outputs... The 782 has been happy for better then 6 years now. AND much cheaper to boot.
Chrome Coil in a tractor, silliness

Attachments

• IMG_20230712_083118.jpg
    IMG_20230712_083118.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 0
If you cannot find the coil thru our sponsors, I would suggest looking up the input and output OHMs Specs and look at totally other sources. My 872 is a different engine all together, but after having OEM coils bubble out and crack after every super cold winter, I found a Harley Davidson coil with the same 4 Ohm/ 8 Oh outputs... The 782 has been happy for better then 6 years now. AND much cheaper to boot.
Hey whatever works! That’s the nice thing about rockauto, I can look up multiple applications

Here is the coil I recommend. Specs are identical to the Bosch Blue, including the epoxy fill:

https://www.jegs.com/i/Pertronix/751/40611/10002/-1

This is considered a high-vibration coil that should be ideal for a garden tractor. The 3.0 ohms primary resistance is perfectly suitable for breaker point ignition without use of an external ballast resistor.

Remember, it's the coil's turns-ratio that determines the primary resistance. Contrary to popular belief, there is no such thing as a coil with an internal resistor. Resistance is due to the length of wire in the primary winding, gauge, and turns ratio, secondary/primary. Any coil with a primary resistance lower than 3.0 ohms draws more primary current and this will drastically reduce operating life of the points.

Here is the coil I recommend. Specs are identical to the Bosch Blue, including the epoxy fill:

https://www.jegs.com/i/Pertronix/751/40611/10002/-1

This is considered a high-vibration coil that should be ideal for a garden tractor. The 3.0 ohms primary resistance is perfectly suitable for breaker point ignition without use of an external ballast resistor.

Remember, it's the coil's turns-ratio that determines the primary resistance. Contrary to popular belief, there is no such thing as a coil with an internal resistor. Resistance is due to the length of wire in the primary winding, gauge, and turns ratio, secondary/primary. Any coil with a primary resistance lower than 3.0 ohms draws more primary current and this will drastically reduce operating life of the points.

Latest posts

Back