• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 25, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow Jeff!
That poor ole 129 needs saving. It's slowly being absorbed into the ground.
a_weep.gif

Hope you can save her. Otherwise the moss and spiders in the rear lift will continue to have a home............
facepalm.gif

K161 question: head bolt specs are six 1 1/2 bolts and one 1 5/8 bolt. Any idea which hole the longer one goes in? Confused as usual. Thanks

Terry, what model Cub? All the specs I see in the TC-113 parts manual for the various K-161 engines, are quantity four, 1-5/8" and quantity two, studs with nuts.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Kraig - k161 for Original. I'm going by the parts manual for k161S, Spec. 28542-E. That said, the engine I'm working on doesn't have a dipstick (just the oil pan plug) as shown in the parts diagram.

Kraig - your post shows a total of 6 which is one short - think there should be 7.

Kraig - I have another identical block - I'll measure the depth of the holes for the head in the block to see if they're all the same. Maybe someone has a pic of an early Original showing the bolt/stud breakdown if it indeed calls for studs. In a post awhile back where I had asked about studs vs bolts, the feedback I got indicated that no studs were used, just bolts. Just wanna make sure as it's all ready to go back together (been machined, new valve guides, etc) and anxious to wrap it up. And, not sure if it helps but this block had the early bore size. Thanks

Randy, that Kohler spec was used in the 2185 tractor, one of the 2000 series of the later 1990's and earlier 2000's vintage. Very good engine. Not a "kit" offered by Kohler for rebuilding it, it is a replace as needed as far as overhauling them goes.

Typical issue was with bad head gaskets, new Kohler gaskets are much improved. while I was there I was a prime mover for these better gaskets, with fire rings incorporated into them. May as well plan on new rings if it ran hot much, and honestly I would toss in a new style oil pump if it were mine.

You mentioned lifter bolt breakage, I will take a guess and venture that the rocker pivot bolts broke? Replace all 4 when overhauling the engine. These commands use hydraulic lifters, like a Chevy small block as example. For the bleed down to occur Kohler specifically specs out that 10W-30 oil be used in Commands. Failure to do so may result in bent push rods or broken rocker studs as you mentioned. So can excessive oil pressure spikes, which is partly why I advise in updating the oil pump also. The integrated oil relief valve could stick and cause the breakage you witnessed.

And for the best results, you may want to post in the CCC-MTD section of the Forum from now on, as the main section is dedicated to pre 1981 type units. Thanks and good rebuilding!!

And for the best results, you may want to post in the CCC-MTD section of the Forum from now on

Obviously he got good results posting here on the main forum board!

So why bother posting in the CCC/MTD section from now on!

Terry, it was late and I mis-counted the studs. After a second or tenth look, the Original is listed as having 7 bolts all with the same part number: KH-41-086-02. No length is specified.

Edit: I see where I messed up on the bolts/studs last night, that is for the k-181 which does use both, 4 bolts and 3 studs.

Dennis... I'm with you.. if that can save an engine, it's worth the effort! And with all their warts, those boxer Onan engines still can run pretty good. (MY experience was with an OT tractor, but same engine).

Back