Archive through September 25, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbextermueller

displayname
Nic Bextermueller
Wow... That's some really, really long winded post about Onan's.

I think the short version would say, "when it's worn out, replace it with a Kohler."

No way am I going to fabricate parts from scratch to put lipstick in a pig. I believe the original post was asking about replacing an Onan. DO IT!

I sure do like my IH cub cadets that came stock with Kohlers

290410.jpg

JIM - My 982 was built in June of 1980 IIRC... so it's right smack in the middle of that time period.

I'm really surprised the guy that rebuilt it didn't catch the problem. I could see the finger wheel being made out of powdered metal, or even diecast.

NIC - It would take me maybe five minutes to shape the piece of plastic I have on my BIG belt & disk sander... take me an hour to pull the engine, and an hour to clean it before disassembly, an hour to get down to the cam gear, two minutes to install the piece of plastic, then about 3 hours to re-install everything and get the engine back in the tractor. When SON & I fixed the starter 3 yrs ago we messed around for close to an hour to get the sheet metal installed properly, and we only took one side off.

JEFF - You never fully appreciate a Kohler until you own an Onan.

Wow! What a montage of various opinions!
fence.gif
That is one of the things that makes this hobby so interesting, the variety that it brings. Some folks are strict loyalists to what the factory did and I can appreciate that(my sons 125 is almost completely untouched from the way it came from the factory 46 years ago!) Some folks like to adapt, change, and modify their cubs to suit their tastes and needs and I can appreciate that too (my 682 Cubbie has been modified quite a bit from original including engine swap, driveshaft, hydro, among other things). Some people like to built radical customs and I can appreciate that (someday I plan to build a "1986 What If CaseIH GT").

So, we do what we can to help one another, we give our opinions, argue a little, and move on to celebrate the best darn garden tractor built in the 1960's and 70's! What a great place to gather. I sold some extra parts the other night to a guy who just purchased a 149 that he is restoring for a work tractor. He was offered a newer green and yellow tractor for his three acre yard but he just didn't like it that much. His boss used to be a Cub dealer and is a huge cub fan. He encouraged him to take a serious look at the Cub Cadet garden tractors of the 70's. This guys name is Chris and now he is rebuilding his first Cub! It was fun to show him some of my tractors and hopefully encourage him to keep pursuing his goal. Those kind of guys are out there and encouraging them in our hobby is a good way to ensure that the future thrives. They may not get into it crazy like many of us are but their contribution of maintaining, using, and appreciating one of these little white and yellow tractors is still good for all of us.

I love the diversity of this forum and yet the common goal---Thanks one and all!

290417.jpg

My son Judge on the Cubbie!

Who is the yard broom master here?
Have a have a yard broom from 1972 - 1975 range.
that looks to be 32 inch broom 38.5 wheel to wheel (in side)

numbers on it are 193-366-100
Ser. # 1340008u then smaller # 002284

Can't find a Model # all start with 190-xxx-100

Looking for new hard rubber tires. If available.

Thanks in advance

Bill R.

Bill you should start a thread in the sandbox about the broom,
that way the info that gets posted here wont be lost in the IH Cub Cadet thread.

It will be the proper place too...
thumbsup.gif

Dennis your last post was well said.

Josh he looks good on it.

Jeff your right.
I will.

But just to keep it honest here I should have added
I would love to use it behind the 107

angel.gif

Thank you
Bill

Bill that would of kept it on topic,
But I still would of suggested it so the info does not get lost. The link Dennis just posted will get lost in the cub only section.

The sandbox is perfect for that so you can find it easy.

BILL - Yes, I had a Parker about that same size years ago... pulled it over the yard for ever it seems... and Yes, a lower HP Hydro works REALLY good pulling them... I never liked the idea of pulling them in 3rd gear with a GD.

Lets end this right here right now!

Cubs, tires, tools, parts, equipment and ANYTHING made for or related to Pre 1981 Cub Cadets GOES ON THIS PAGE!!!!!!!

Just like it says at the top of the page!!!!!

Use this topic only for discussion about IH Garden Tractors and Equipment built prior to 1981.

But, but, but, Charlie

I don't go to the Sandbox enough, and I miss out on all those all so important topics. Could you please link all that good stuff "here" to the SB, because am a ......? LOL

Jim

Jim P.
That's the issue/problem.

Everybody needs to quit thinking to much about where to post what.
If it's way off topic, someone will say something (Or Should) and it will either get moved or nuked, plain and simple.

It's not that hard to figure out, we've been doing it pretty much fairly well for going on 15 years, ( Well except for Denny! LOL) and there's no reason to be gun shy or worry about what goes where. It's to dang simple folks.

Except for Denny!
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

HEY..... I normally try to get something in edge-wise about a GD NF CC someplace in every post... well... maybe most posts...
whistling.gif

A 1200 CC and #2 Tiller w shop built verti-slicer attachment.

Mike P, Bob E, Jeff B;

-Modified-Yes, but nothing was done to the tiller except removal of the shield and tines.
The attachment sub frame bolts to the tiller and can be removed quickly. The drive sprocket is pinned to the tine shaft. No holes were enlarged in any way and unit can be restored to original condition easily.

The blades are from a commercial slicer and are mounted on a hex shaft, which turn in two large pillow block bearings. These had to be large due to the hex bore and not available smaller.
The blades are spaced at 2 inches, spacers are black pipe couplings with the ends machined in my lathe for a flat end and uniform spacing.

Works great for a prototype, a one of, and no modified builds in the works.

Cool Joe, thanks for sharing, any in action pics of that cub at work

Guys,
I have a 2072 that someone has re-powered with a CH18S 62588. Can anyone tell me what this engine might have come out of?

The engine is running extremely hot and leaking oil somewhere. Recently broke a pair of lifter bolts also. Most likely going to need to pull the engine and rebuild so when ordering parts, I want to make sure that I'm ordering the right rebuild kit.

I'm sure many of you have a favorite place to order rebuild kits. Can you share those with me and any tips going into this project?

Thanks!!

Randy, you might have more help in the CCC/MTD section of the forum. that tractor and engine would be from that era. This thread of the forum is for pre 81 tractors.

I found this tractor in Galena, IL about 4 years ago and it was in much better condition but still in the exact same spot, never moved. And of course the owner said no sale he was going to fix it up.

This is how it looks today, No answer at the door although I left a note.

Kinda sad

290440.jpg

290441.jpg

290442.jpg

290443.jpg

290444.jpg

Randy,

I'd say CC Specialties at the top of the page could fix you up if he has it in stock.

Jeff,

BTDT. Could take you to several cubs around here in the same scenario. I also know where a 55 chevy bel air and a 51 GMC pickup is, and the owners are "going to fix them up one day." OH well.
dunno.gif

Latest posts

Back