Archive through September 20, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Art & Gimpy:
KT17s blow up - oops, I mean air condition their blocks - due to poor splash oiling system.
Mag18s have pressurized oiling, some with filters, some without.
TBCF

from what I can remember the early KT had preassure feed to the cam. the run off from the cam was to lube the rods. the KT17II was full preassure. by this time the KT17 name was so poor the sales were pathetic. kohler felt it needed to distance itself from that name so it came up with the magnum 18 which for all practical purposes was the same basic design as the KT17 series II. funny what a name change can do to sales.

by the way I've had NOT A NUFF as a tractor name since 1983. hate to change now. do you ever really have A NUFF?

On a 14 hp in a 149, How long should it take for the rings to seal up on a rebuild? End gap was good from top to bottom of bore and a good hone job was done.
The breather port is still spewing oil and vapors after about six hours of run time. First two hours was at low throttle with a lot of speed change. No mowing, just riding around. Have now put two hours on with mower. Not hard work, hardly touched the governer

Jerry,

You need to get a good load on the engine to allow rings to seat properly. Mow some high grass at max governed speed (3600 rpm). This will get cylinder pressure up, forcing rings against the bore, and allow the running-in process to occur. The procedure is standard practice on air-cooled engines. Another thing that might speed up the process is to use non-detergent 30 weight oil. Then change to a detergent oil after about 5 hours running time.

Art, the only real difference between a series II KT17 and an 18hp Magnum is the ignition system. The KT uses points, and the Magnum has a magneto. The KT17 is really an 18hp motor. AFAIK, all internal components are the same.

David, thanks for the reply. Will have to try to find some work for it. Have not had to mow the grass here for over 60 days before this time. Just too dry. We do not try to water out here. The cost just gets to be too much. Wish I had the rear lift for this 149, I would let the tiller get a workout.
Am hoping that this is the only issue. Am trying to get it settled in before snow.

I agree with David. work the heck out of it. if you did not bore it oversize just because the ring end gap is within spec does not mean the cylinder is round. reringing engines seldom produces a quality rebuild. smoke out the breather from what I've seen over the years is pretty common when cutting corners.

I have been reading the posts on Kt17 and Mag 18 engines and some answers are correct and some are not. I rebuild these things for a living so here goes: The ignition is different as stated : The flywheel is different as well as the taper inside is different :The crank journals are larger on the Mag. as is the taper on crank and the rods are different in journal size as well as a heavier beam although they are the same length : Pistons in all Mag. engines are thin ring and they were used in some later series 2 engines but they do have the same deck height but not same pin dia.: the bore and stroke are the same in a KT and a mag. and the difference in a 18 and 20 is the crank through, but the heads can be used from an 18 if nessecary. Factory 20's use a little different sheet metal in the head area but all other is the same

Congratulations Don ,I know how hard it is to win a NQS pull and how long it can be before the next one.

Has anyone heard if there is going to be a pull at Blackhawk College in Kewanee,ill.? Day and time?

Is there an info site on that pull... like... what classes, rules, and wether an ordinary guy like me could participate?

I have a flyer on the pull . they have a stock class but they run 26x12x12 tires. hard to compete with a stock cub.

don't know how many people were in Winchester but they missed this tractors first run.
22697.jpg

22698.jpg

22699.jpg

22700.jpg

Its Julian Stahls new Kohler V twin powered tractor Midwest Express .. first trip down the track it was over geared and still put 20 foot on the NQS Super Stocks in the open SS class.rumor has it putting out over 90 hp.

(Message edited by dvogt on November 07, 2004)

Don, was only Jim at Kewannee,Ill and how did he do there with his tractor. It seemed like it was tricky to get locked in to the track, just by what I seen. It looked like a really nice turn out,could not ask for a nicer day for November.

yep , Jim was there. I couldn't make it. I think he said he finished 10th in one class and 7th in another. he didn't say to much about the track.

Latest posts

Back