Archive through September 14, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeremiah - I don't know why you couldn't convert a 50A to a 50C. I think all you'd have to do is switch the front cast piece, or you might have to drill another hole in the original one and move the oblong eye bolt, and then you'd also have to switch the center pulley to the 5/8" belt version. I assume you have the correct under carriage and mule drive already for your 782. I'm just loving all the typing I get to do today, but you were probably hoping you'd get a response from someone who "dun" it. I'm wonderin if anyone converted a 50C to a 50A? Seems the older 50A's would be wearing out and people would want to replace with a 50C.

Chuck F - now why would you want to?

Well I finally got time to go to the shed and look for PTO bearings. I found two, neither have a part number on them. However, both of them have a snap ring.
1a_scratchhead.gif
I must be getting forgetful, I do not recall them having the snap ring.
old.gif
bash.gif
I decide to have a look at CC Specialties to see if Charlie had a good photo of a PTO bearing. What do I see? In addition to the PTO bearing he also has the PTO bearing snap ring available.
dunno.gif

Charlie, educate us please.
happy.gif

David S - nice looking QL tractors.

Jeff Baker - Where's that smoke coming from with those tractors? Is it the green tractor in front? I've got a 109 that has a little smoke out of the breather.

Jeramiah - I converted a 44C to a 44A deck. Swapped out the pulley and moved the "eye" to the wide position. The deck was already drilled for the wide position. When you get your pulley, get the speed-up pulley too - well worth the effort if you are going to replace the pulley anyway.

Hydro Harry - I hope you don't start hitting the booze over these pink tractors. You might get drunk and trade your 169 on a faded other color red tractor (plus some cash). Sometimes that faded red paint can appear pink if you are boozed-up....
beer2.gif
beerchug.gif

Bill J
that last cub with the tiller a 149 is the smoker so this winter hopefully just rings and honing

I've done the 44A to 44C conversion....no big deal...get 82 series subframe, drill hole for eye, change pulley.....done....

Ty Marlin....those colors do sound really good too.

Jeff,she is adorable...reminds me of my 18 yr old daughter when she was that age !

Harry,too late to try an find that bearing...but now the Miller lite well I had my fair share tonight,every time I turned around one of the guys was putting another beer or shot in front of me...My poor BF didnt get to drink tonight since everyone was buying me drinks
happy.gif
Ty so much for the part number :D

A pink thread sounds like it could be fun...BTW how many other ladies do we have here ?

Ok Harry or who ever knows...would a creeper be something for the snow thrower as well or is it something thats not needed ? An then ive not heard of a creeper for these so where would it go and how do I go about getting one ? Im intrigued now,I always have to change the clutch pedal return spring every winter it seems,they rust an break...even when I oil them.

Ohh,BTW my hair is very blonde so black an grey look good on me. One of these days ill figure out how to re-size my pictures an get some posted...

Harry,no no no...just drink more beer,we dont want ya drinking pepto now ;)...he he he

Here's the comparison pics of the old PTO bearing and locking collar next to the new ones...

244796.jpg

And here is the new bearing. If you look real close you can see the small snap ring inside which keeps it from the end of the crankshaft by about an 1/8".

244797.jpg

This is the comparison shot of the two locking collars which appear to be identical except the set screw with jam nut on the original. I would have switched it to the new locking ring except that the threads are fine on the new locking ring and coarse on the old
angry.gif

244798.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow I'll have this thing up and running...
Shift.gif

Ohh geesh....did I ever sound blonde on the last post....ok,I seemed to leave that one wide open,go ahead I know ill hear it for this...LOL

Thanks Harry, Bill, and Steve, for confirming my suspicion and allaying my fears on the "A" to "C" deck conversion. I have the speed-up pulley on order, if the dealer can figure out which one it is. (I wish I had called Charlie.)

I was just thinking it would look better than the burnt cut metal that's there now. I want to put together something nice looking.

Chuck,

If you have some welding skills, take a filler rod and weld those cut marks shut and add the metal necessary to even things out. Grind it smooth on both sides and paint it. It would look a lot better (at least to me) than cutting out a chunk of the axle carrier.

Just a suggestion.....

I would like to add a little information to this lower rpms to do the job idea. I rebuilt the K301 in my 129 about 10 years ago and gave it a few killer kohler upgrades like cheater cam and shaved head. At it's first plow day, it was keeping up with 149's and a few 782's. It handled the 50A deck very nicely. When I was at work one day, the brother-in-law decided to help me by mowing the lawn. When I got home. I mowed a few areas he did not get and noticed a faint haze coming out the muffler. When I got done, he asked me why I ran it wide open since all the JD's he had used he only ran a little over half throttle. Well this nice engine with only about 50 hours on it started to use more and more oil over a few years to the point I would use a half quart per tank of fuel. By running the engine at half throttle, he had taken all the temper out of the rings by over-heating it. Now the other 2 engines I have overhauled have always been run at WOT when mowing. The 106 with 48" deck has about 1800 hours on it and still runs good with no oil usage and the other is in my brothers 109 with about 1000 hours on it and does not use any oil.
My point is that this shows lower rpms when working these kohlers is not always the best. I run my 106 with the 1800 hours on the roller, thatcher, and snow blade at half throttle but it is not being worked. All my tractors on mower decks and snowthrowers are run at WOT

Kraig - Oh Great One, Keeper of the Photos - that snap ring Charlie lists is the one that mounts inside the PTO clutch cast housing. It serves as the stop so the clutch can't slide to far onto the bearing. You've confused it with the one that comes mounted inside the bearing that doesn't allow the bearing to slide onto the crackshaft quite far enough. I believe Joshua mentioned it keeps the bearing about 1/8" from lining up even with the end of the crank. I did check my parts manual and see a couple different bearing part numbers but Charlie lists all 3 numbers along with a 4th number as the same single item. I don't think there is a difference between the 2 styles of PTO clutches (original and blade/brake style used on the late 1x8/1x9), but sure can't tell from the parts listing. I did check the Service Manual as well and there is no mention of any difference for the bearing installation. It only indicates to install the bearing flush with the end of the cranksahaft. Obviously you can't do this if you have the bearing with that internal snap ring so I've always removed it.

Amy - hopefully you have an Operator Manual for your 104. It will provide alot of info on the Creeper, where it's located and I think it will have info on using it. For throwing snow it is highly recommended for gear drive tractors. It gives you 3 additional forward slower speeds, and one additional reverse (although you wouldn't use that one for throwing snow that I'm aware of). It sounds as tho since you are continually replacing your brake pedal spring you already realized you have to use your brake pedal alot. I think you're actually slipping the clutch to slow the tractor down to avoid overloading the thrower. Adding a Creeper will certainly lessen your need to do this and avoid unnecessary wear on your drive clutch. Maybe you wouldn't have to replace that spring so often either. As for locating a Creeper, well the Sponsors in those boxes at the top of the page will usually have them. Some might even have a NOS unit, but there are enough donor tractors around you can usually also find a used one. Keep an eye on the Classifieds as well since a Creeper comes up in there once in a while - but condition of those are risky (unless it's me selling it and it's a BIG risk. Best I can usually say is "worked when removed"). Installing a Creeper is fairly straight forward and I think the manuals thread section may even have the IH directions for adding it. I'm not saying it's necessarily easy but you'll want to allow yourself plenty of time since it does require removal of your current drive clutch assembly. You have to shorten your drive shaft but it does have a mark identifying where it has to be cut. The holes for the role pins are already there. While you have your clutch out you just as well make sure it's all in good condition. The Creeper mounts on the front of the rear differential housing and connects to the little stub shaft sticking out. I'd say an experienced Cub mechanic with proper tools could probably go thru everything and complete the installation in 2 to 4 hours. One with "some" experience might take 4 to 8 hours depending on items requiring repair/replacement, and an inexperienced Cub owner maybe 2 days based on figuring out things and putting everything together correctly. Again, it's not necessarily difficult just takes time. I definitely recommend the service manual and install instructions. I probably shouldn't admit this but the Creeper comes with a breather on the top, a side fill plug for checking the level of the fluid, and a bottom drain plug. When installing the Creeper you won't have any fluid in it. I remember the 2nd or 3rd one I installed, I just jumped in believing I remembered everything involved, etc. Of course everything went well. I got the Creeper installed, the drive clutch assembly re-installed, engine back in place, etc. It may be because I did this over a couple day period, but I got to the point of adding the fluid. I just couldn't remember how I had done it before. I had the breather and drain plug installed and just couldn't figure out how to get fluid into that little side plug. I knew the fluid had to be filled up to the level of the side plug. I ended up taking a straw and trying to fit it into the side plug hole and then pour fluid into the straw. What a mess, and on a freshly painted tractor (which actually helped when I cleaned it off). I finally got so dang frustrated I decided I better look at the dang instructions cause something just wasn't right. There in plain site was the information about removing the breather and filling it level with the side plug. Don't tell anyone on here I admitted to this. If anyone asks I'll deny it. Of course having Hydro in my name is there for a reason. A Hydro unit is really the best for operating a thrower. No drive clutch and you have infinitely variable speed. You might want to just consider picking up a Hydro unit to use with your thrower. Most of the guys on here have really decided it's best to have a tractor for each attachment you have. Guys into it BIG time have a tractor for mowing, tractor for throwing, tractor for blading, and those really really big time will have another tractor just to pull a cart, and then another tractor just to get some seat time. I used to love running my 1450 up and down the road in front of my house, no attachments, full speed WOT, wind blowing in my hair (when I had hair) and nose getting occassionaly Kohler fumes. Gotta Love It.

Well, I'm near the character posting limit and it's almost to much for others to read. Keep us informed of what you do.

Denny, Thanks.. ( I guess?)

Wes, I've been running mine for better than 20 years at less than full throttle... I would conclude the parts used in the rebuild were at fault, not running less than wot.

Amy, check out the sandbox, there's a thread in there about tossin snow and has a lot of good info in it.

Another quick question: I've confirmed that the lift cylinder on my Model 149 is leaking (badly). I also discover, to my surprise, that replacement cylinders are NOT available. According to one post I ran across, some cylinders are rebuildable, some are not.

How can I tell if the cylinder on my tractor can be rebuilt?

What are my options if the cylinder cannot be rebuilt (other than getting an equally old part from a boneyard)?

(OK, that's two questions, but at least I'm under the character limit.)
smile.gif

Jeramiah - my bad, I miss-read your post on 50A to 50C deck. I went the other way with my 44C to 44A and the speed-up pulley. Not sure you can get a speed-up pulley for a 50C or if it's necessary in the first place?

Sorry about the mix-up.

Harry,im likin that idea about owning more than one cub...ive actually looked for a good hydro cub but they are hard to find sometimes. Ive considered finding one thats in need of restoring also. My weakness is id have to have my dad rebuild the motor for me,but id sure help rebuild it. I grew up in the garage beside dad,I was his lil helper...of course im sure I was in the way often,but he was so patient with me an taught me how to do so much and for that im thankful .My girlfriends just look at me when I tell them im working on my CC an attachments for a fun lil project. I do need to find a manual,we could never find the one grandpa had,but ive printed off some of the manuals from this site so I have them.

Im sure I can see you driving down the road on your CC with the wind in your hair...ya know,I could cut some of my hair for you since you mentioned youre a lil thin on top?

Mike,I will check it out,I ventured out last night on some other threads but havent seen that one yet..

Bill: Thanks for the additional information. I think by the time the "C" deck was produced IH had standardized on the 4-1/2" pulley diameter (it is what is installed on my stock 44C deck); I know the standard "A" pulley size is 5-0" so I'm hoping the "3rd pulley" listed for the 44/50 deck is 4-1/2" in diameter and built for a 3/8" wide belt. We'll know something early next week.

Edit: I think I've got this whole thing confused. If the speed-up pulley is available for the "C" deck (5/8" belt size), and there are only three different pulleys available, then there may not be a speed-up pulley available for the "A" deck (3/8" belt size). Again, we'll know more next week. (It is a pity that the dealers don't know more about the parts they're selling.)

Edit 2: Yes, I'm confusing myself. I'm doing one thing and thinking about doing another.

Doing: Trying to get a pulley to speed up my 50A deck with a 3/8" belt to run on my Model 149.

Thinking: Converting 50A deck to a 50C deck because (in tall, thick, wet grass) the Model 149 is taxed-to-the-max running the 50" deck.

I have a 4-1/2" speed-up pulley for a 5/8" belt and I'm keeping it for a possible conversion to a 50C deck; I have a 5-0" pulley for a 3/8" belt and I'm trying to find a 4-1/2" pulley for a 3/8" belt, if it exists.

There, I hope I've straightened myself out. (I'm going to take a break and fuel up on coffee, bacon, and eggs.)
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back