Archive through December 17, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sblunier

displayname
Steve Blunier "Mr. Plow" (Central IL)
982 and QA-42A/B

A QA-42A/B will NOT fit a 982. Art tried this a while back and several things go wrong.....it hangs off of the ground because there isn't enough "down" in the linkage to allow it to hit the ground with 18x8.50 rubber (my super steer required thrower modifications on my 782)......there also isn't enough clearance for the 18x8.50 rubber to turn without hitting the thrower (again, even a problem with a SS axle on a 782).

The thrower in question has to be a 42" or 48" Haban model to fit a 982......unless I'm way outta line (but I don't think so).

H-48 thrower...

111617.jpg

That said; throwers only work well when fed hard....not teased, not 50%, not 75%....they must be fed at 95+% for best throwing performance. Unless there is another FULL "scoop" of snow right behind the one headed up the chute to move it along it starts to slow down and the throwing distance gets weak. A BLOWER, with a second stage fan is much less picky about what you feed it. That said, single stage throwers can be made to throw snow a respectable distance (enough to clear the drive and pile it up out in the lawn)...say 12-20' provided they are in good repair, run at full 3600 rpm engine speed (measured, not "guessed"), and kept FULL!!!

Rule of thumb when running a thrower: If the Kohler isn't BARKING with the governor giving it all it's got...you need to go faster until it does......and watch the white cloud or "tube" that it produces
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

111618.jpg

111619.jpg

Mike F.

You might also consider "safety wiring" it back in place around the steering arm in addition to the repair Charlie suggested...just in case it works it's way loose again (all depends how bad it's worn and how well your ball pein strikes are aimed). If it's wired up then it will be sloppy, but you'll get back to the garage and won't bend your tie rod.

Steve:
thumbsup_old.gif

You couldn't have said it any plainer!
beerchug.gif

Help! I was using my 782 to throw some snow last night (QA42B), when it suddenly wouldn't drop all the way to the ground anymore after I raised it. I checked it tonight, expecting to find something binding. I disconnected the lift rod and the thrower went to the floor, ruling out the thrower brackets as the problem. I looked under the tractor and didn't find anything stuck or binding. The only thing I can see is that the cylinder ram doesn't go all the way in. It stops with about an inch and a quarter still out, and the thrower is about an inch and three quarters off the floor. Is it possible for something inside the cylinder to block the ram from going in so the thrower is stuck in the raised position? Thoughts?

111634.jpg

111635.jpg

Jason Davis: The day you put a block heater on the 123 is the day I'll admit we have to worry about global warming!
asthanos.gif

Greg L Did you check if your <u>lift cam stop</u> is adjusted properly
yikes.gif
? I take the knob & cam off when there is no need to limit down travel. BTDT... I always need somethin' simple to get the Gray matter electronically engaged!

Gregg L.

A possable chance of ice built up inside of the cylinder?
OR
Low enough on HyTran to not have enough to push the cylinder all the way back?

Just a couple of stabs in the dark here.

If it's not the cam stop, it may be something under the sleeve hitch casting at the rear end since the lift bar is pinned solid at the cylinder

On my 982 post below...it is also very possible that the tractor is a 782 that had a hood swapped out on it (off of a 982).

A motor and tire size check would make for a quick confirmation.

Well I had a eventfull day attempting to move the snow fall from last night today.

Went out to start the 127 & snowthrower, choke and throttle both frozen and battery to low to crank over the motor.

Tried the 100 with the blade, again frozen choke and throttle cables, dead battery.

Need to build a shed to store my cubs in out of the weather.

SO, I decided to use the 3235 with the blade, no luck, dead battery.
Hook up battery charger, grab cas can and head for town for gas.
Return from town, watch the noon news, fire up the 3235, head down to my moms place just down the road a bit, figured on plowing her place out first.
Bout half way done with her drive and I roll the rear right tires off the rim.
1/2 hour later I have the tire back on the rim and all aired up and plowing away happly, but not for long.
Notice the blade is not returning to full upright postion after flipping forward.
Check into this and find one of the shoulder bolts have worked its way loose and has fallen out.
Now you want to talk about an exspencive shoulder bolt, that little sucker cost over $16.00 with tax.

I wonder how much fun I will have after the next snow fall in a couple of days.

Brendan
Since Ive never had the pleasure to operate a gear drive and cant get into the debate with a lack of said operating experience,I will have to agree,ALTHOUGH,shouldnt you be warmin that gear drive up also!!!! I think my hydro is a bit faster though!!
bubbly.gif
wink.gif
<font size="-2">I would love to own a geardrive or two!!</font>
Thats a great picture,looks like a whole lot of fun.Since I didnt get the cub running today I pulled the kids around the back on a plastic tarp behind my dirt bike.I froze!!I have seen a few pictures like that here an im looking foreward to doing the same,Even if I have to go to the mountains next year!!
Frank
You Sir are right,about the global warming thing!!LOL.If this stuff is still on the ground tommorow im trying a couple light bulbs under the tarp that covers the cub!!(that doesnt sound to safe after re-reading it)Or I will bring it into the livingroom before work tommorow so it will be nice and warm tommorow afternoon!!!That would go over great with the wife!!the kids would love it!

Does anyone here have a photo of a hydro cub with a clutch in it?

I heard there was a disconect clutch available for the older hydros once apond a time.

I am thinking of adding a clutch to my 127 for assisting in cold weather starting.

Any thoughts on this idea?

Everett-
Here is a picture of a QA-42A on my 1872, which is basically a 982 with power steering.

111641.jpg

Like Steve B. said, the thrower fits the tractor, but as pictured, it is in the "full-down" position, and you can see that it's still a good 2-3" off the ground.

Here is the steering interference Steve also mentioned....

111642.jpg

In my opinion, the only two thowers/blowers that will fit and operate on a 982 are an H42 (shown on the red 982 on the left) or a #450 (shown on the yellow and white 1872 on the right).

111643.jpg

111644.jpg

The H42 snow blower will throw snow about a car-lane width away from the tractor. The #450 will throw snow up on the roof of my house!

I bet you can guess which one I kept when I had to sell one off...
wink.gif

<font size="-2">(But I do wish I would have kept the 982...)</font>
whistling.gif

I have one like the one on the right and I will either sell or trade it . I'll post pics tomorrow when I find them. He will need to use all the mounting hardware from the tractor the only other difference is mine is yellow that I can see but will need picked up here 15613 area code in pa

In my opinion, the only two thowers/blowers that will fit and operate on a 982 are an H42 (shown on the red 982 on the left) or a #450 (shown on the yellow and white 1872 on the right).

Duals

Duals 2

The H42 snow blower will throw snow about a car-lane width away from the tractor. The #450 will throw snow up on the roof of my house!

Art.
That 1872 & QA42 looks to be a great setup for anyone with a gravel dirveway, aint much chance you going to pick up any rocks with it that high off the ground.

Charlie, Steve B. - Thanks for the tie rod tips. With more snow on the way, I'll need to get something working until a new part arrives!
biggrin.gif

Paul, Lonny & Steve B

I forgot to mention in my last post that I had ruled out the cam stop. It was free, but I removed it to be certain - no change. I also ruled out the possibility of ice in the cylinder by keeping it in the heated garage for 24 hours. Hy-tran was a bit low, but only a half inch below the fill hole, so I don't think that's the problem. (I'll fill it tonight - ran out of time last night.) I checked the rear lift casting, lift bar, etc., & didn't see anything, but will have to check more thoroughly tonight. Thanks for the replies - have a great cub day.

Greg

Going to look at a 782??? in a field today lousy discription but for the price we have to see it. They are ssaying it has a 48" deck, sound right??? Kohlor with oil filter smokes a lot when ran last. I am betting that was a long time ago.

MIKE F. - If You have access to a welder You can also repair those tie rod ends by cutting a flat washer in half and assembling the joint, then welding the washer onto the female end of the tierod to hold the ball into the socket. It's not meant as a permanent repair but I was amazed how long it lasted on My 129 and Dad's jd 4010 diesel which was the first time I'd seen one repaired like that.

Jerry B. - Take a thermos of coffee....782 is a great Cubbie.....hope You can get it bought right. 782 should have either a 44 or 50" deck. Take a tape measure with You. My guess is it's a 50". KT-17 with a filter should be a series II.

Latest posts

Back