• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through September 05, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morning all, trying to remove the front axle from my 73, got the spring pin out but the large shaft that goes thru the frame won't budge. Any suggestions would help. Sprayed half a can of pb on it and still won't move. Trying to get this thing painted.

Brad C., Have ya tried pumping the axle full of grease and working the axle side to side? Then I would try a couple smacks with a good punch and BFH. Just my thought!

Can anyone give me the link to a chart I think I saw here once, showing what equipment fits what tractor? Starting to think about a snow blower and not sure if the 36 or 42 or either will fit on my 108. Perhaps there is a power issue and it takes more than 10 HP to run the 42?? Don't really need one, but a real winter might return to Colorado any time. Thanks, Buck Roberts

I have been on the Original pulling a Triumph TR7 around. This wouldn't be a big deal but the 7 doesn't have a rear axle or wheels. John

Scott: Having used the same snow plow from 1972 on many different Cubs 108 all the way up to a 1863 now back on a 1650. There is a couple ways to go.

1. Hook everything up except lift rod, with your handle down measure from bracket to handle figuring in your 2 bends. Now that is the distance you need if you want the blade to raise higher subtract a 1/2" or an 1".

2. Some snowblades have 2 places were the lift bracket hooks to the framework (3 hole triangle bracket) and you can move it forward or back to the different 3 hole position.

Also remember a QT is a wide frame and the 106 is a NF so you may have to make an adjust were the mule drive hooks up. It can be done I have done it.

Buck: a 108 should handle the 36 remember it is a gear drive so it might be wiser to go with the 36 where a hydro you can vary your ground speed and feed the blower at a slower ground speed.

Just my 2 cents guys Good luck..

Pops
old.gif

Yeah the guy I got the "parts" plow with the lift arm had fabricated the mule frame for his QT. I have the right mule for my 106. I had made a lift arm a month or two ago and it worked fine but I thought a original one would make it look, well, original! Now that I have seen the original lift arm the one I made is not going to be beefy enough!
lazerburn.gif

Pops: Thanks for the advice. This use might justify adding the creeper. Any thoughts or drawbacks on this plan? I doubt that I will ever till with it and I know creepers are popular for that. Buck

OK,who recomends removing the balace gears in a kohler k321 14hp.Charlie,wutz your thought on this?
coffee.gif

Timothy; I have a 14 and two 12s with the gears removed. I really can't tell much difference except at a slow idle. I am removing them from a 341 and see what hapens. Broke a rod and vented a block in my 169 last week. so when another engine goes in it will have a new rrod and no balance gears Unless a experienced user recomends not doing it.
Just my 02c.
Luther

Tim, The balance gears are gone(never in there) on my K301. From the horror stories I have heard, I would remove them. But, I would not disassemble a good running engine for just that purpose...

Tim
I have 6 Cub Cadets and have rebuilt the motors on 5 of them. I have never replaced the balance gears. I cannot tell the difference even at idle. They will destroy the engine if they come loose.

I have a feeling this is going to be a good week, just made a 225$ order from CC specialties
happy.gif

Tim, I have taken the balance gears out of every Kohler I have. I wish I still had pics of one set of gears pulled from a 301. There were marks on them where it looked like they were lightly hitting the crank. I'm assuming due to bad bearings in the gears. Just imagine if there was enough contact......

Guys,

I'm on vacation this week from my job wrenching on things like mail sorters and the like, so I started working on the 102 this afternoon. So far, I've gotten the hood and front end off, the mule drive and mower deck off, and I'm ready to lift the engine from the frame. Got an engine hoist ready to go, but I need to assemble my el-cheapo Harbor Freight engine stand first. Says its good for 750 lbs, it should hold a K241 okay.

Draining the oil now, I hope to have the engine up on the stand and have the head and oilpan off to see what it will need by the end of the night. Expecting to find a loose rod bearing, hopefully the bore and the crank will be okay, or at least usable.

The 42" mower deck does have a 2 inch square hole along the back side. The spindles feel okay, but the pulley on the center spindle is a bit dogged out, as may be the shaft end. I have an identical deck for the other 102, I might do some parts swapping to make one good deck from the two.

Could someone post a picture of the underside of an Original where the front frame bolts onto the tranny? Seems mine had been repaired and doesn't look quite right. Just need to compare. Thanks in advance. Nick

Got the engine mounted on its stand, and got a chance to pull the head and oil pan. The good news is that it wasn't about to throw a rod, the crank miked out at 1.499 in several spots, and was clean and shiny, and the rod looked okay. The head gasket looked like it was partially blown, and the cylinder head and the piston both had pits on them. When I removed the piston, the cause became evident, as you can all see.

93770.jpg

93771.jpg

Tim I put a NEW engine in my 149 and was told by KOHLOR to pull the gears out. This was a new motor with a warrenty. Kept them but don't know why??????

Latest posts

Back