• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 05, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Donald, if I were you I would call Scott Madson at Madson's Service, click the link at the top of the page. Scott should be able to get you the proper parts.

Can anyone tell me the difference between a Model 72 and 73 other than the decals? I can't see any obvious differences.

Has anyone tried to convert a 149 to electric PTO clutch? If so, how did you do it?

Terry B. As far as the timing mark on the flywheel I like to take some white fingernail polish and dab a bit on the mark. Even comes with a brush to do it with. Oh Ya, I dont use white on my nails so I have to sneak into the wifes drawer when she is not looking.
rant.gif

I fixed the steering in my 4th 147. I though that the top roller bearing was shot because of the contraption that they built to hold the steering wheel straight. Turns out that the bottom bearing cup nut, or what they call the adjusting plug, was just too loose. I tightened it up and i am good to go. Its funny how someone spent time to fabricate this holder when all it took was a little tweak. He held it on with a hose clamp.
64681.jpg

64682.jpg

64683.jpg

Andy,
I believe the issue was finding it in the first place. I used soap stone to mark mine. Although nail polish would work better. However, I only have black polish left over from my goth phase.

Michael,
One difference that stands out to me between a 72 and a 73 is the dash tower on a 72 is painted completely yellow. A 73 dash tower has the top portion of the dash painted white like the hood. Someone correct me if I am wrong about this.

Hi,
I'm not a mechanic so this probably sounds stupid.
I have a 1969 Cub Cadet that I purchased new in 69 and now I need to have the engine rebuilt. Any advise on how to take the motor out of the tractor would be appreciated.
Thanks,
b craig

Allen,

Unless your 14hp is a replacement motor, your block won't be drilled for the clutch mounting. You will also have to switch it to ring gear start, and the electric clutch has no pulley for the starter generator to drive.

If you really want those features, it's easier to swap in a QL engine and harness than it is to make the mods.

The mechanical PTO clutches are good solid units, why not just rebuild yours and get another 20 years out of it???

Barry C.
Having just spent 30 minutes just yesterday removing a K241 from a Cub. Here's how it goes when I do it.

Remove the hood, remove the battery cables & battery, unhook all the wires attached to the engine & starter generator, unhook the choke and throttle cables, unhook the PTO engaging rod, remove the grill for easy grabbing of the engine and maneuverability.
Remove the drive shaft where it attaches to the engine. Remove the 4 bolts on the bottom side of the engine where it bolts to the frame, grab the engine and pull!
Simple as all get out.
beerchug.gif

Latest posts

Back