• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 03, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you put an automotive tachometer on a Cub Cadet 1000 series - K241/K301 block engine ?

Guys--Thanks for the input on the 149. I'll keep you posted as I get it up and hopefully running. Good thoughts all around.
greenthumb.gif

Jon S--What do you mean you've been called worse?
fence.gif
cubwinker.gif
"J" names seem to get mixed up more than most. I believe in the last 10 years or so I've been called everyone of the popular "J" names at least 5 times!

Chris R--Great Pic!!

Charles Lamb;

If by "automotive" you mean analog (round face with a dial and pointer), then yes you can. But just any old tach will not work. Your best bet will be ordering the Kirk Engines Tach found on the sponsor link above. But the Equus brand tachs will work also.

You see most tachs correct for the number of cylinders inside the circuit in the tach, which is why if you order an Autometer tach and use it on a 4 or 6 cyl you have to cut the little wires to make it have the proper resistance for the signal. Kirk has their's preset with the proper guts to work on a kohler. Even the Autometer Jr. Dragster tach won't work because it is setup for B&S ignition, not a points style.

The Equus Gauge is way ahead of the game right now. It comes with a pickup wire to wrap around a plug or coil wire to sense the spark signal or a direct signal wire to plug right into an aftermarket ignition like a MSD. It also can be quickly switched between 1to 8 cylinder with a push of a button and will also work on a DIS system.

It baffles me why such an industry leader like Autometer doesn't make a product so versatile. But if they don't need the business, I'll be happy to go elsewhere...

Again check out the Kirk Tach it WILL work, if you want something more "in your face" check out the Equus. And that you can see and get at O'Riley's

Darren Sterley

I will try to help you out. I would remove the rod from the hydro controls that runs back to shift the hydro and find neutral with the tractor off the ground. There is a mark to show where neutral should be on the one plate.adjust this first and then make the needed adjustments to the rod that comes back from the hydro handle control to fit where you have neutral.some times you have to start at the end to find the front
1a_scratchhead.gif
. I had an issue with a cub here and that was the only way I could get it working the way it should. I hope you understand my attempt at directions !

Donald T. I sense another person that totally removed the hydro unit from the rearend and didn't mark where to reinstall the piece that you normally loosen up to do the trunion repair. So then they adjusted all the linkage and now have the linkae out of adjustment. He lives too far away for me to ravel to his place and get him set up correctly.

Marlin Homrighausen
BTDT and now know better lol.This is what we are here for to help if we can. most of us have learned by first doing it the wrong way ! will some one else do it the wrong way , I bet they will . But we will there to point out how to get out of it with all your hair !

after looking at the old ads today I sat and wondered where did all the cubs used in the ads end up????

thank Donald i will try that the next chance i get and let you know how it turns out. and yes ill admit i tore it all apart before reading about marking it. thank you again you just might of saved my sanity

Well I think I got this picture sizing under control. This has been my summer project. My granddaughter Autumn has been my co-worker anytime I need more than two hands or a smaller hand to reach areas I couldn't.

244325.jpg

Alex, nice job!
greenthumb.gif
Gotta love the 7hp roundy fender Cubs.

Trying to locate another decal.
Charlie was here.
244330.jpg

Alex very nice,, you even have the impliment lift wire clip and rear pto

Rear ags, steering wheel and tweaking the carb (which is giving me fits) it will be ready for the local events in southern Indiana.

Alex Smith
I do wish you lived a little close because I could help you out.
1a_scratchhead.gif
I do have a s wheel here that might work.Good job so far ,
thumbsup.gif
, seems time is more my problem.

Jeff,

I started buying parts for this project
about 6 yrs. ago when my older brother and I
were seeing who could get the most cubs in their
garage, ha. Albert left us a few years back and I lost interest for awhile, but now I'm back. Albert couldn't wait for me to finish this, so this cub is for him.

Alex I am sure Albert
angel.gif
is proud of you and that 71, you have to post pics with rear ags ...

Alex,

Where did you get your front tri-ribs? I like that style much better than some of the earlier ones and may get some for the plow.

"It's all new...and Bubba approved!"
244337.jpg

Steve B.

I purchased them from our local tire dealer. They are lee tires.

Latest posts

Back