• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 02, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Everyone, i'm new here and have a couple of questions. First all im in Marion, Indiana and im curious as where i can get parts for my Cub Cadet 107. second im looking for LIFT ROD BRACKET IH 489622 R1 for my snowplow. this is a bracket that goes on the manual lift arm on my tracor. i also looking for LIFT ROD IH 473924 R1 its the rod that i hook to the bracket on the lift arm and it connects to the plow. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Also you guys have some awesome looking tractors, hopefully if i can get another one i will try to restore my 107

Don T.-

I hope your SS bolts aren't the hardware store variety...they are nowhere near as strong as the grade 5 bolts you are replacing. I would use only new grade 5 bolts if I were you.

Dan P., welcome!
groupwave.gif

Check the forum sponsors for the lift bracket and lift rod, or place an add in the wanted section. If you can't find a lift bracket, I might have one collecting dust out in my shed that I could sell but I can't say for sure right now that there's one there...
1a_scratchhead.gif

BTW, the lift rod is easy to make, for instructions on measuring length, click HERE and scroll down to the photos of Steve Blunier's 100 setting up on 2x4s.

Dan P,
Welcome to the Forum!
You might try one of the sponsors above, in the "colorful boxes at the top of the page".
I don't know for sure which ones you need but
cc specialties has a couple of different lift rods.
click on the CCSpecialties box, then on Implement parts. Scroll down and you will find 2 different lift rods.
Brad Rainey

Hello Frank C., did a little checking on time zones...Think you been bouncing on yor tractor too much as well snorting exhaust.
Don T. lives in the Atlantic time zone, you and I live in the Eastern time zone.
That means at 12 noon your place, it's 1pm at Dons, an hour LATER.
Its 9am at my daughters house(SanDiego), 3 hours earlier. Ok, now I'll let you go back to work.
old.gif

Matt Gonitzke , Well mostly the seat bolts and all fender bolts including the foot rests i have used stainless. I used IH bolts on parts that requre the strength. I have come a ways today and will post a picture in the Am if the wife lets me have some time lol. we have a trip with my 5th wheel this weekend. Have a Great Cub day all. Later Don T
old.gif

Dan P:
Welcome to the forum!! Don't forget, we like pictures!!
BTW - just curious, as something was mentioned elsewhere recently, are you using a Blackberry or something that is hard to shift for capitalized letters? Us old farts have a hard time reading some of the posts (yours wasn't bad) that look like Twitter posts done from the seat of a tractor while the guy is plowing, with no Caps, no punctuation and pretty bad spelling (spell checkers are automatic in Firefox and some other browsers) . I'm just curious why your references to yourself all were "i" rather than "I".
old.gif

No sometimes Im to lazy to check my spelling and grammar. lol I will try to get pics up if I can get me a new battery for my camera.

BTW - for those guys with Green colored tractors in the shed - the good guys over at WFM got a nice mention in this month's (October) Popular Mechanics in an article on fixin' stuff rather than throwing it away. Great to see our pastime recognized in any national magazine, whatever the color of the machine!

Oh, and Wide Frame 1x8, 1x9 series, of course (They don't look like BIG tractors??????) Coulda fooled me.... And JD versus Cub hydros? I thought they both used the same pumps back in the day...

Kendell I. You are correct with both Cub Cadet and John Deere using the same 15U series. In fact the 15U line to the old timers is still known as the Cub Cadet line. The JD people didn't like hearing that so it was discouraged to call it that.... at least when the JD people came to visit.

Now a little about the possible "Whys" as to a greenie tractor having a "better" hydro. Think linkage difference. John Deere uses a different setup to ease the trunion into forward and reverse. It was actually suggested to Cub Cadet to use this system only Cub Cadet had their own system in mind. The green system works smoother than the IH Cub Cadet designed system. These garden tractors hydros are the simplest hydrostatic setup there is. Your forward/reverse is hooked almost directly to the trunion which is hooked to the swashplate. Any movement of the trunion affects the swashplate and you have immediate response.

I know there are guys that disagree with me when I say that Cub Cadet should have offered a two or three speed range hydro system. A hydrostatic system works most effiecient when it is in full stroke. By having different ranges such as a low - medium - high then you would be able to set the tractor in the desired range and operate the pump in a more efficient mannerism. For instance garden tilling.... Low range and you wouldn't have to keep trying to play with the hydro lever near as much. You would simply move the system into a setup where the pump is still over say half stroke instead of maybe as the present setup barely off neutral position. For Plowing you could go medium range and move the hdyro to full stroke forward. IH may have experienced better luck if they had offered a three speed range on their full-size FARMALL hydros.... and a bigger heat exchange system on the cooling end.

Now as to why some guys prefer gear drive over a hydro and say they just can't seem to get a hydro to perform like they should. I can appreciate their thoughts and preference..... some people still buy only a stick shift automobile or truck.

Jim T. On your hydro Kubota linkage is it a manual linkage or electronic linkage setup? If I recall the electronic should be a little smoother than the manual.

sorry guys i have a 104 not a 107. i just went out to tinker with it and noticed that. also anyone around Marion, Indiana that knows a little about these tractors that wouldn't mind me picking there brain a bit would helpful. Thanks.

I like a gear drive because EVERYTHING else with a brake will slow you down and stop you.. with the brake. I just don't know what to make of a levered speed control. And God forbid I need to make a quick stop. Because that's just what happens when to brake on a hydrostatic drive.

I prefer a gear drive for that reason. And no I don't need to learn how to drive one. I just need to climb on a gear drive.

I would rather work on a gear drive. It has been pointed out that drive shaft work is not easy. I would like to point out that those same drive shafts were in service for the last 45 years or so and if you do your work correctly with the right parts the drive shaft will go another 40 years before needing service. So It's not like you are doing this work all the time. There are other reasons. But this should be enough fodder for the mill.

I'm confused, I've been told that the 1100 is't a garden tractor, that it is a lawn mower, that it isn't really a Cub Cadet, But going through some old posts a while ago, I read a post that said The 1100 is a garden tractor and posts about it should be on the main forum.
bash.gif

Mike your gonna stir up the "Great debate"... i asked the same question a while back, everyone says different than everyone else.... at the top of an 1100 broshure it says "lawn and Garden trctor" so i guess everyones right!

Mike,
The 1100 really is a Cub Cadet, and (cringe) really is a garden tractor.....albeit a light duty version.. I actually have an 1100 that had a loader on it for years, and it is in very good shape. The previous owner knew it capalities and limitations and used it as such and it survived.

It is what it is, no more no less. Just don't go to the Pulls with it acting all cocky or try and pass a 982 at plow days (or even pull a plow).

Marlin,
I like the Hydro comparison. I think that's why found it hard to find a stick shift Ford Fusion...like only 3% where manufactured that way. I love my hydro for most stuff...but I feel like I'm on a real tractor when I use my gear drive.

Mike H: When the 1970's horsepower race caused IH to pull the production of the of the low selling, low horsepower (8hp)QL Model 800 Garden Tractor, they replaced it in the price point line up with the cheaper but higher horsepower (11hp) Model 1100. The cheaper part was the power train. Gone was the costlier direct drive shaft and the Cub Tractor derived transmission and Cast Iron differential. In was a 90* gear box and a belt drive to the Peerless made transaxle. A Garden Tractor?? Mostly. IH called it that. However, the IH Cub Cadet purists hold their noses when the Model 1100 is mentioned but steadfastly ignore the fact that the Cub Cadet Original model used a belt in the driveline.....go figure...

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Richard P.,
The only time you need breaks on a hydro is when the engine is not running. The hydro itself will do the stopping. When you hit the brake on a hydro, it puts the hydro in nuetral. When in nuetral with engine running, this kind of locks the output shaft going to the differential. So when a hydro is put in nuetreal with the engine running, it will slide the rear wheels until you stop. If weighted down good you could have a tendency to hit the steering wheel if put into nuetral to quickly from a fast speed. You will need really good brakes to do this with a gear drive. If you have internal brakes, this can be achieved. The external brakes will not stop as well but will stop you if working properly.

Wes:
To that point, my 129's got the original brake pads on it, still like new.. (had to clean 'em off once when I replaced a leaky axle seal, though)..

Mike:
You guys with the 1100's should quit with the worrying about their parentage and if anyone questions it, just point 'em here..(at 5:45 on Aprill 22, 2008, Charlie pronounced 'em as Garden Tractors..)

Kendell, I am on the 3rd set of pads on the 128. Even though the 2nd set had some life left. Original axle seals though!
The brakes on a gear drive are a necessity, especiality if you are in "hilly country".(Try to remember teaching the wife/girlfriend to drive a stickshift)
The OT tractor I use to mow has a foot control hydro and seperate brake both on the right side. It also has a two speed hydro rear.
So lets see, the brass at IH must have liked the performance of both Hydros and Gear drives....The one "best for" is the one you are sitting on. If not get on your other cub(s)!

There's plenty of other cubs to own that are actual garden tractors... so buy those and sell those 1100 so called "Garden Tractors"
greenthumb.gif

Back