• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 02, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marlin,

The Kubota hydro has manual linkage. I actually just sold that tractor a few hours ago. Had a guy that wanted to buy, and he had money so I was willing to sell. I'm happy.

You are right on the "greenie" hydros. I had that JD 140 before I was really into the GT hobby, so I really didn't pay much attention to how it was made. It may very well have had the same pump as the Cubs, but you are spot on about the smoothness of operation. Maybe it was, in fact, the linkage system, (you are obviously more knowledgeable than me in that area) but the Cub hydros are simply not even close to the JD. Keep in mind I've owned one JD and probably 10 Cubs. I'm a Cub guy, but it is what it is.

Ryan Wilke -

The engine label, as you can see, is riveted to the tin. In case the picture doesn't work:

Model #K321 A
Serial #2061139
Spec #6099A

169058.jpg

I myself prefer gear over hydro and always will. Do have a 1450 that I'm still trying to get used to, feels kinda weird and still quite clumsily with the stick. As for needing brakes with a gear drive...I don't use them much. With the brakes disconnecting the clutch I tell our kids and wife not to try to use them even on the hills, instead I try to teach them to use the correct gear on the hills. My step son has already had a close teeth gritting moment trying to slow down using the brakes and not pushing them all the way. I asked him if he understands why I told him to let the engine hold him back, I think he gets it now. On the FrankenCub project I am separating the brake function from the clutch pedal to make them useful. I would like to pick up a 982 eventually, but it will be a roller (or semi-roller) so I can put a gear drive tranny in it. Even a Cyclops would work, think it would look nice with round fenders and a pan.

MATT G - Not sure how good a shot you'd need. Couldn't get much tonight (dark out, flash reflects, couldn't hold ruler while taking pic, etc, etc, etc). But you can see the lettering style and wording (TO CHECK OIL LEVEL USE DIPSTICK ON GEAR COVER). It's black lettering on yellow background. The outside dimensions of the label are 1.5" x 3.5" and the letters are 1/4" tall. Arrow is 1" long. The black border is approximately 3/16" from the edge of the label.

Let me know if you need better pics or more precise measurements. I'll do it after I return home from a long weekend out of town - leaving early Friday morning.

EVERYONE - In case I can't get online from my daughter's home in Nebraska, have a safe Labor Day weekend.

169061.jpg

Jim Thompson When you say "Cub hydros are simply not even close to the JD." I'm wondering what you really mean.

I have several JD-140's and many Cubs and have rebuilt both hydros. Basically the only difference in the hydros is the side the trunion control is on.

The 140 definetly has better shift control linkage.

I was making reference to this statement by Marlin-
"The green system works smoother than the IH Cub Cadet designed system."

I agree with that statement. I don't think the Cubs operate nearly as well as the JD.

The two spring/button system on the Cub Cadet hydro appears to be the downfall on their linkage system. Those springs wear out very quickly (their strength isn't that much when you actually look at what they are doing to buffer the motion). The Sunstrand Cub Cadet Orignal Prototype uses the same type of lever system as John Deere. It proved very successful in field testing and that is why Sunstrand suggested for IH to use it on the Cub Cadets.

(Now.... remember how so many times it has been said how the green company never really develops their own stuff? They either buy or use someone else's idea?)

I'm off to work sssooo everyone have a fantastic day... Three Day Weekend Coming up in under twelve hours.....
groupwave.gif

I think soil type,and moisture has A lot to do with tilling. I am normally A hydro person. I used a very nice 1250 all summer for tilling. I now have a tiller on a 124 and after trying both the same day will take the tiller off the 1250. I love the lift on the 1250 but overall the gear drive works much better.

Luther
169064.jpg

Well i got the pto installed and started to install the loader. I just can`t handle the weight and balance it to install alone. so i will have to get some help to finish this.So I hope you all have a great weekend.Later Don T

169067.jpg

The loader tractor is looking really nice. I hope you can find someone to help finish it.

Back