• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 02, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheinsohn

displayname
Wes Heinsohn
Now for which I prefer to use, I will take my wide frames any day. They are so much easier to work on. The friction disc is not hidden under the dash behind the steering shaft like on narrow frames. The center cover removes for easy access to the driveshaft, hydro linkage, and the dreaded broken roll pins. I also like the option of putting any size engine in them without having to mix parts to get them to work or modify the frame. I will say I do like the storage under the seat on the 1X6,7 models for tools, hitch pins, and other stuff.

Thanks everybody for your input.
I guess I'll stick to my hydros for everything.

Matt, I agree that Q\Ls can be expensive to put back into good working order... At least my 1450 sure was. But since I haven't went through my 1282 yet, I can't say one cub is more expensive than another if the amount of abuse was the same.
As far as the rattling goes the only time my 1450 rattles is if I go from full throttle to idle quickly.
I don't know if a 1282 is in the 82 series you had in mind, but it sure puts me in mind of my 1450.
Brad

Brad, I have a 129, it's a wide frame hydro. I love it. I have all the attachments set up for this tractor. Tiller, blower, blade, cultivator and plow. I just bought a 147. It is a narrow frame hydro. I don't like it as much as the wide frame, mainly because none of my attachments fit it, and it seems harder to work on. Namely, it does not have an access to the driveshaft/ hydro like the 129 does. I would rather have 2 wide frames to interchange attachments. So, shortly you will see my posting for a trade!!! 147 for a 149.

Brad-

1282 is similar to a QL, but it's the only one. All others have solid mounted engines, except maybe the 482, but I'm not counting that
lol.gif
The 1282 engine cradle is a bit better.

Wes-

You might be able to go faster than gear drives in 2nd, but it seems like most people can't, and all it takes is 1 to slow the line down. I went from the fast second to a slower one in my 582 because of this, and I still wind up in first gear sometimes. I'll admit the diesel was easier to operate than the 582 at the last PD I was at.

Brad, I might be the only one to vote this way but I really like the original cubs for pulling, spraying and for the ease of working on them. Not much to go wrong and easy to work on. All I get are worn out stuff from other folks who got their moneys worth. It just doesn't take much to set one back up to usable shape.

Finally had me one of those "look what followed me home" days. Something good finally came from my bride's smoking habit: she often visits with a maintainence man at the County Building where she works. Conversation got around to Cub Cadets and he said he has one to get rid of. His dad bought it used in 1980 and he ended up with it in 1994. Hasn't had it running in a couple of years. Said it fired and ran a little when he shot gas into the carb, so hopefully nothing more serious than a clogged gas line or gummy carb inlet.

I've always wanted to get me zigzag model. Looks to be in good shape, overall.
169036.jpg

Serial #334875, built in March 1970.
169037.jpg

I've seen the conversations on two oil dipsticks, but never paid a lot of attention, because it didn't pertain to anything I owned. Now I have a tractor with two dipsticks (not counting the new owner!). Am I safe in assuming the top one is simply easy access for filling it?
169038.jpg

Deck #482 U 1113. Looks pretty good, except PO apparently used it to mow his gravel!
169039.jpg

Greg.....Nice catch....My wife has never brought me a Cub
thumbsdown.gif
...Yours must REALLY like you.....
thumbsup.gif
See if she can find me a Robbie Rake...
drool.gif

Oh, I almost forgot - it was also one of those, "I have some wheel weights you can have, too" days. Not IH (unless I turn them upside-down like Clint McCall did last month - once every revolution they say "IH"), but they're weights.

169043.jpg

Greg,
Nice find(s)
A Cub and a wife who will find Cubs for you!
Brad

Hmm, I might have to go get me one of those 82 series.....I almost got a 582 a couple of months back, but didn't get it.

Greg L.,
Yep, the top tube is for adding the motor oil. The lower is for checking motor oil level.

Greg, Would you mind sharing the data off your 'dual tube' engine:
1) Is the tag riveted on or sticker?
2) Engine Model #
3) Engine Spec #
4) Engine Serial #.

Thanks!
thumbsup.gif

Lewis P.,
I don't know of anyone that offers that decal.
You might be further ahead to simply locate a heat shield with a nice decal already on it and swap them out.

Good Luck!
Ryan Wilke

Myron, Jeff,

I completely disagree on the "hydro is the only way to go for tilling" statements made on the previous page. I used to till with my 1450. It was awful. Had to keep a hand on the speed control at all times. Yes, I did all the adjustments to "fix" the problem, to no avail. Trust me, I have spent LOTS of time tilling with a hydro, and after tilling my garden this past Spring, I had had enough. Sold all my hydros (4-5 tractors). No matter what you do or what your preference, a hydro will never be as constant/steady as a gear drive. That's just reality. It's not hydros that I don't like, it's that I think the CUB hydros are lacking. I used to have a JD 140 and the hydro was always buttery smooth. I loved that tractor. I also have two Kubotas now- one is a hydro, and it is great (still not as "steady" as my gear drive Kubota though). As of this past Spring I had 5-6 Cubs- all hydros except one. I have since sold every hydro, and as of today, I have one Cub- CC 126- and I'm looking to pick up a 100 this weekend.

Terry,
I think maybe one reason people prefer NF's over WF's is b/c the NF's have that "tractor" look, where as the newer WF's look more like the modern lawnmower. Of course that's just opinion, b/c we're talking about appearences. Just a guess. They may be a little more difficult to work on in some ways, but their simplicity makes them easier in others. As I stated above, all I have now is one NF, and looking to pick up another one this weekend. While I'm certainly not in a hurry to buy another QL (unless the price was REALLY right) I think I would like to try one of the 82 series. I've never had one of them.

I till with a 149 that's a designated tiller tractor. I'm trying to imagine using a gear drive without hydraulic lift.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Nope . . . can't imagine it.
dunno.gif

169051.jpg

Spent most of yesterday raking and wishing I'd taken a "before" pic.
Don T.: It must've been the exhaust fumes that made me forget that you're an hour ahead of us, not an hour behind!
coffee.gif

Jim-

The wideframes are styled after bigger tractors, or at least the 1x8/9 and 82 series are. They look just as much like a tractor as the earlier ones do to me. But the CCC Cyclops series, that's another story....

Lewis/Ryan-

If someone (perhaps Greg) can get a straight-on picture of that decal, I could re-draw it so someone could have it made. First, I would check with Maple-Hunter, as they carry similar "extra" decals that don't come in the set.

Jim,
I agree with you on the "tractorish" looks of the nfs. I also like the looks of the red 82 series. I wouldn't mind finding one.

I can't comment on the hydro's ability to till or not. Never done it with either a hydro or a gear, so no experience to speak from.

The hydro vs gear drive well i only have gear drives so far and am trying to get a hydro. As far as tilling i do like the creeper and it worked well i can understand liking a G/D for that. but for snowblowing my G/D works good but I think a hydro would be better due to in my case there is alot of speeding up and slowing down due to drifting causing many different depths of snow.

Frank C , call earlier anytime lol.I have quite a pile of bolts left over here from the 129 because i have replaced most of the them with stainless.I want to connect the wiring today and then the pto so i can install the loader. I won`t be installing the hood and headlights now as i want to get the hyd hoses made to be neater to look at.
on the subject of wide and narrow CC, well i like them all. standerds are great for some things but a hydro is a great tractor(149).the hydralic lift enables me to do more faster than a gear drive.
here is where my 129 loader project stands this morn. later Don T
169054.jpg

I have added a lot of brochures to my little Cub site. If anyone wants to take a gander or maybe even add some pictures, it's here:

http://cubcadet.1.forumer.com/index.php?act=idx

Note: When I set up the site, I had help from a friend of mine who's the admin on the Red Square Wheel Horse site. So it's set up similar to that site. But I really don't want to compete with this site or the other established sites. But just a place to load pictures, videos, brochures, etc.

A hydro/hydro Wideframe for us. We (Dad and My Fleet) have 2 149's a 1450 a IH 782 and a CC 782 (Parts). The only geardrive we had went away long ago..... Still want to get a 169, 1650, A Super (982) and a Diesel Cub.....

Latest posts

Back