• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 28, 2016

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jack B.-

Definitely hydro and wideframe. I'd probably pick a 149 over a 1650 since the 16 hp would be overkill for a loader, and 149 will be easier to work on with the loader on the tractor.

Jack B.

149 Hands down......only thing better would be an 1872!

You should also add: Lots of weight, wide rear tires, upgraded 1" front spindles.

Ed C.

I would make sure it was timed right, had a good plug, tuned well, etc.

I would run good quality 10W-30 synthetic oil and would add a battery tender (I use Battery Tender Jr. on mine) to keep battery topped off and ready to go.

I always use std 87 pump gas, with Stabil and MMO added.

Make sure the starter bendix is good and clean.

Mine usually don't require this, but a magnetic heater under the trans will greatly aid in pumping cold hydro oil......this is happening during starting as there is no disconnect clutch on a 1650.

I use fuel stabaluzer and fresh gas! I also use a trickle charger. She never wants to start. Maybe the heater, I live in Ct. Summer I never have an issue!
Thanks for the help

Hello everyone!

It has been quite some time since I logged in here or did much with my cubs aside from the 100 I use to keep my driveway clear in the winter. As such I will probably downsize and put a few tractors up for sale here eventually.

I have a 1200 that I plan to keep that is needing a clutch. I purchased a Midwest Super Cub clutch assembly for it but I ran into problems with the bracket for the release arm bending from the increased spring pressure.

I considered trying to find someone to fab up a custom bracket for it but this really isn't a pulling tractor. As such I considered changing the spring out for a stock one unless the Kevlar clutch disc requires the extra pressure to work properly. Should I do that or can I get away with adjusting the tension on the red spring the clutch already has?

I have heard that these clutches are a bit harsh on engagement. If that is true will a stock spring change that or will it still do that with the Kevlar disc?

Thanks for the help and your opinions!

Michael,

I use a Kevlar disc and a blue release spring in my Cub Cadet 100's with no problems.
The blue spring is stronger than a stock spring and weaker than a red spring.
The red and yellow springs are too hard on my knee.

Ed C - where do you keep your 1650? In a garage or shed?

I lived in Woodbury, CT for 14 years and never had a problem starting my 1450. I even used straight 30W oil year round. I did keep it in my garage which wasn't heated but connected to the house and at least 20 degrees warmer than the outside temps. I did keep it well tuned up, with a new spark plug, and especially making sure the points were good and timing was set dead-nuts 20degrees BTDC (the S or SP mark on the flywheel).

I also always used full choke, and about half throttle for starting if it had been sitting (used this year round).

Harry
I leave it in a shed not attached to the house adjacent to the driveway! I use the tractor all year more in the winter. I always use seafoam in it. Nothing worse than when you need to plow your driveway and the tractor won't start. I literally can take a brand-new diehard battery and crank it till it dies. Plug is new points look good contact wise. Cleaned the carb last summer, I put the carb at I believe 3 turns out high side and 1 1/2 low does this seem correct ? Thanks

Back