Archive through October 28, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhomrighausen

displayname
Marlin Homrighausen
Melody S. Fancy not only helps checks on the tractors, he rides with me. The weather is getting too chilly only when it is warmer we'll take a spin around town on the Cubs.

215424.jpg

He'll help with garden duties.

215425.jpg

He helped guard Charlie's mower when we stored it.

215426.jpg

And he helps Angel take care of Annie the kitten he found last Saturday afternoon.

215427.jpg

He is one of the coolest kitties (he has his own fan club in town) that I've ever known.

I couldn't help myself when I seen a IH cub cadet walk behind snowblower. It looks like it was built in the early 70's. Anyway, does anyone know where I can download a service and/or user manual for this? It is a model 268. I guess it is a 26" cut with a 8 hp briggs motior.

Thanks, Earl

Marlin, my wife says my tractor looks OK under a camo tarp for winter, but
She also said that Fancey looked really sharp in a red sweater. <font size="-2">How do you get him in that sweater??</font>

Wayne S. I just looked at McMaster&Carr site. They have 'Left Handed drill bits". AKA cuts in reverse... A 1/4" bit is just under $10.<font size="-2">(I know JUST under...)</font>
Carefully applied heat in that whole area may help too. I,m sure you have seen posts recently on freeing siezed bolts, but with a steel bolt in an aluminum block it may not be rust. You noted a white powder in one hole...a form of corrosion??? Maybe candle wax would work better than PB Blaster? Or some kind-of mild acid??

Don T,
you could make a box out of 2x4's and plywood and line it with heavy mil plastic... There is a guy online that made one big enough for a 6x10 box trailer...

Scott Tanner... 149 showing signs of life!!!

I will try electrolysis on some of my Original parts, Never thought of plastic to hold parts for that process. I would have to give that some thought when I get to the mower deck for my original. I will try that idea , I will heed to know what mix works best and do some reading.I will be doing some sanding in the am on the blower and take it to get some welding done also. I want to have it ready for paint by wed next week. This blower needs to be finished so I can get at my Original also.I do have a few cub projects planned for this winter and will spend most days in my shop.I also have a 54" snow blade that I want to put a cylinder on for power angle , I think I have a cylinder that will give me about 11" of movement and I think that is real close to what the original cylinder was giving for the angle on that blade.I will make up mounts that will take the power from this cylinder so if I get stuck I can use the power angle to get me out of the snow bank. I also have to get my 125 in the shop for its new engine and get that running.My list for this winter is 1. the snow blower refurbish 2. The 125 reborn and the deck.
3.My original and the deck refurbish 4. My 1512 Diesel with a splash of paint and deck install for next grass cutting season, I`am working on the rear fenders for it now sanding and prime for paint so when I can blow some yellow it will be ready also. I like to make lots of plans so I won`t get lazy with nothing to do lol. I have 1/2 gallon of yellow and a quart of white here and want to see how far I can get through this list before I will have to get more paint. Dennis F i`am sure could tell me when I will need more paint.Next winter will be my 149,147,125, and my 1962 original with the deck. large plans and I don`t want this to be a job ,just fun and smiles
old.gif
thumbsup_old.gif

Do you still have that ford fairlane? I would love to have a car like that.
buttrock.gif

Allen-

This is a K301 I'm dealing with so it's just cast iron and grade 8 steel. I still have no idea as to what the powder is...some kind of corrosion? When the bolt broke I was then able to get the head off to discover about 3/8" of stud left. It's soaking in PB now and might for a few days. I haven't decided whether to do the nut welding trick or vice grips or what at this point. I can get good heat to it so I might give the wax a try. I'm trying to avoid drilling if at all possible and I'm in no hurry so....I would like to salvage this block if for no other reason than to "pickle" it for later use.

WE had Chicken on the barbie tonight and all I could think of was ,would that every work slick for a Cub Cadet.spin it from each end of its frame off the floor so it would be easy to paint. A couple of heat lamps and spin her dry. I hope this don`t keep me awake tonight . I do have 3 lengths of 1.5" angle and 2 lengths of 2" box to build a frame. A chain and a small moter to turn it.
1a_scratchhead.gif
1a_scratchhead.gif
dunno.gif
beerchug.gif

Don T
Did they legalize medical marijuana up there?Barbie Q cub cadet on a stick,
cause that's the wackiest thing I ever heard.

Wayne-

I had the same problem (also on a 125 actually). My dad got what was left of the head bolt out, but I can't remember how. I do remember him heating it with a torch and then sticking a candle to it, and that didn't work. Then he heated it and drenched it in oil, and he may have welded a nut on it.

I think I'd try welding the nut on first before you screw up the rest of the bolt. I think I'd soak it in PB blaster (or that ATF/Acetone mixture I keep hearing about) for awhile, and then weld a nut on and try to turn it out. I'd stay away from the impact and use only a wrench to avoid twisting it off again, possibly inside the block, where your only option will be to drill it out and hope for the best.

Good luck...broken head bolts really suck.

Allen S. Fancy knows that he is going outside so he pretty much just lets Angel put it on him. If it isn't on just right he'll fall over with a, "Help me. I've fallen over and can't get up." look.

WAYNE S. - I've never tried ALLEN's idea of the left hand drill bit but I hear it works good. If you can center-punch the top of the broken bolt, or grind a depression in it that makes starting the drill much easier, it won't walk on you. Grade #8 bolts are just soft enough to drill with a good bit. If you've heated it much it's probably softer now, something between Grd #5 & #8.

I'd start with a 1/8" bit, then step up to 3/16", 1/4", and by then it should be loose or free.

I broke a bolt that holds the S/G mount to the engine in the CC70 a year ago, guess I had the belt a bit too tight. I ground a small slot in the top and backed it out with a small screwdriver.

The white powder you saw on the one bolt was probably burned-up Lock-Tite.

Lewis Palma

{Did they legalize medical marijuana up there?Barbie Q cub cadet on a stick,
cause that's the wackiest thing I ever heard.}

1. Medical M has been legal up here for years,you do need a doctor to sign a paper and your good to smoke your brains out if you so desire.
2. If they make a stand to do a car frame then why not a Cub Cadet frame ?

May be I have misplace some of my marbels ,but I just might make that up and see how it would work. It would be nice to just drain th rear end and remove fenders and hood ect. just engine and rearend still in the frame for painting.
1a_scratchhead.gif

KT-17 Series II

I have a 682 that I put an engine in that was setting for quite awhile. It runs fine mowing my small yard in town, but if I mow a larger lawn I have trouble. It starts to run like crap the longer I mow with it. And the longer I mow the crappier it gets.
bash.gif
It's not that big of deal if I stick to mowing my small yard, but I would like it fixed. It's like it cuts out on one cylinder or something.
dunno.gif
I thought maybe the fuel was getting hot so somebody told me to put a couple of clothes pins on the fuel line to get rid of the heat, but that didn't help.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Maybe this can be one of my winter projects.
Thanks.
215444.jpg

Dennis, Matt-

I think since I have so many other things going on I will just let the block sit and soak. Drilling will definitely be the next to last resort with taking it to a pro and paying to have it done being the last. I have a good 3/8" sticking out and I plan to "baby" it. The powder-like stuff is my main problem I think. I may have just melted some thread locker or something like that while throwing the heat to it yesterday. The bolt on the other side of the exhaust came out and the threads were hard to see because of the powder. It was loaded. I think sitting the block in the dry and soaking with PB will be my smartest move at this point. Time will tell.

Thanks for the input....Wayne

Kent-

I would start simple and throw some new plugs in there. I have had several situations recently that all was needed was a new spark plug. Even my backpack blower was skipping and sputtering and a plug solved everything (so far).

Just my .02

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back