Archive through October 27, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i just rebuly my k-241 and now am looking to put the crankshaft back in but my kohler service manual is a little lacking on the pictures so i was wondering if anyone had some better pics that give a little detail on the timing marks and how to position them also i am confused about how the ballance gears align. can anyone help

Matthew Stetar (Mstetar) Just my .02. all the Cubs i have here (6) and none have ballance gears still in them. toss them away , they tend to make holes in the block.

are you saying that the motor doesn't have to have the balance gears to run correctly .... if not they have to serve another proupse right ... vibration, noise reduction??

Matthew-
The balance gears were an old Kohler design intended to cancel engine vibrations. They have nothing to do with the functionality of the engine. Most guys don't notice their absense after they remove them, and they have a propensity to fly through engine blocks, so removal is smart.

..I thought I remember reading somewhere that Kohler actually recommened removal of these gears.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Matthew S., the balance gears were never in my 12hp Kholer in my 128. I have not owned or operated a cub or off brand tractor that has had those "grenade gears" that Don T., and Art are referring to. From the pictures(after detenation) and comments on this site I would remove those gears. I always vote for things that will prolong the life of an engine, this is a biggie
thumbsup.gif

thanks then maybe by the end of tomarrow my 100 will be running

Hello All, I'm new here, just purchased my first IH Cub. It's a 106. It has most of the common problems I've been reading about here.
While cleaning the steering box, I found that one of the nylon bearing retainers had broken up.
I need to replace 2 bearing cups (races) and 1 ball bearing retainer. Have you had any luck obtaining these from a bearing supplier?
Thanks for any info, Jim

Donald T
According to the Operators Manual, quote: "the gauge must be withdrawn and wiped clean, then inserted all the way, screwed in finger tight, and withdrawn, for a true reading" end quote.

The manual says the crankcase oil filler plug has a "bayonet type" oil level guage attached to it. I would have thought the dipstick with the "O" ring would be more like a "bayonet type" than the rod in the fill plug is...... but then I wasn't asked to name the parts
lol.gif

One of two things is happening with my 1650. Either its not charging the battery or its draining the battery when both leads are left on when the tractor isn't running. Any thoughts on how to figure this out and fix it?

Eric

Latest posts

Back