• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 22, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lonny,
I like Plowin sod.
69153.jpg

I suppose one of these days we will have to go from a garden plow to a snow plow round the central WI area. Its been fairly warm and rainy lately but our luck will change-- than off to throw lots of snow (I hope).

How well does the plow/disk combo stack up against the tillers whan you want to get rid of sod? I've got about an acre on the books for spring.
help.gif

Dean-
A Cub Cadet tiller is NOT going to till up an acre of sod. Your best bet would be to plow it under before winter, then till it the following Spring or later in the Summer before the weeds take hold.

Vince-
White painted tires???? That's not your son Andrew's work. Looks more like something you'd do.
clown.gif

Dean S.-

I'm thinking the plow would be easier. For one thing, depending on the type of soil and how much weight you have on the tractor, you'll get done much faster with the plow. You'd have to go super slow with the tiller. I'd plow it first, then till it afterwards. Twice the seat time, and easier on the tiller too
happy.gif

Art types faster apparently.

Art, I hate to say this but my dad has done about two and a half acres in the last week or so with a 42 inch tiller behind his green 318. It would be easier with the plow and tiller but these little tillers can do alot of work in a realatively short time. If a Deere can do it a Cub can too.

Charlie, Matt

I did not say you could not plow sod with the colter on, just that if the sod is hard packed the colter can hold the plow out of the ground.

When I plowed my garden for the first time I had a hard time keeping the plow in the ground with the colter on, I removed the colter and had no problems keeping the plow in the ground.

I also know that the colter has to be correctly set up for it to work in all types of soil.

When I refer to hard packed sod, I refer to sod that has not been turned over in 20 plus years and was used as both hay field and pasture land.

Lonny-

I guess I got lucky. I just dropped the plow in and it worked, without touching the adjustments.
happy.gif

As far as I know, that area I plowed was also a pasture from the 40's to the 50's and was never plowed previously. However, it was very soft, oddly enough.

Charlie-

What month/year was that Popular mechanics article in? My dad has a bunch of old ones at home I should look through to see if that is there....

Man, we gotta be getting close to 50 by now...

Latest posts

Back