• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 19, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sstanton

displayname
Scott Stanton
Hmmmm.....let me try that again.
179747.jpg

179748.jpg

179749.jpg

I haven't been on this sight for a while because I have been restoring an El Camino, but winter is coming and it is time to get ready to get some seat time in the snow. I am not happy with how my 129 starts in the cold, but after reading some of the archives I understand that the kick back when starting is common.
I was thinking maybe changing the regular points to a "PointSaver" or a "PointSlayer" would help.
Can someone tell me the advantage of one over the other, or if they make a difference in starting.
I appreciate any comments
Earl LaMott

Great job, Scott. i assume you are putting a new steering wheel cap on it, then? I have an extra one, it is used but if you want it temporarily, but it would suffice. sounds like you had a busy day!

Great looking CC 100, Brian
thumbsup_old.gif

Well, I never thought I would have to do it again, but I decided to cut the lawn for the last time. So I put the mower on the 123 and Started mowing. I didnt get 3 feet when the belt came off. So I put it back on and tried it again, Same thing. I thought maybe the idler pulleys wernt low enough to line up with the middle mower pulley. So, i took it back to my shed, and put the mower on the 124. Got ready to mow and then the belt slipped off again. So I layed in front of the tractor and lined up the idler pulleys with the mower pulley and the pulley on the mower was <strike>pulled</strike> tilted ahead. I tried to see if the bearings were shot by rocking it back and forth, but it was solid as a rock. The last time I used this deck, it worked fine on both tractors. So i pulled out my 48" deck and put it on the 124. It didnt even grunt in the high spots, the blades just sloed sown because of all the grass under the deck. I was very surprised, but I know I shouldnt be
biggrin.gif

Anyone have any thoughts as to how this would have happend between the last cutting and this one that the belt would keep coming off?

Josh Ott Just a thought . I have read that you should mark the belt rotation on the belt so it always gets installed the same. my .02 LOL later Don T

I got the dash all installed today and can`t find my hydro handle.
bash.gif

Don T, I will try it both ways but it never bothered before. Thx for the suggestion.

Scott: Thanks for turning the page, even tho the archive bug bit you. (It doesn't really hurt that bad, does it - and it makes you an originator of the next page).
Earl: You might have opened a nice discussion. KICKBACK. May I start with valve adjustment?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Frank A Currier and Josh OTT , I think a low battery will make the point time off just enuf to make them tap back. I had a Norton that would do that if the battery was low. I hope i can find some parts in the am so i can get my 129 running.
old.gif

Earl LaMott I know that when i took out the points on my Norton (850 British police bike) and installed a system like a point save the thing just did not kick back after that. It was real hard on the knee when you stood on the kicker and it only went part way down and then came back up. It could throw a man right off lol. I had a mark on my right leg for a long time. I do have a 3.5 brigs here a Merry tiller that would kill the condenser every year and the point saver works now for 6 years now. Just my .02

UPS brought the 5-lug hubs and wheels for my super steer front axle conversion today. These do indeed have 1-inch ID bearings front and rear. The bearing spacing is too wide for the spindle, so I'll be shortening hub. I'll be making a sleeve to press over the spindle for the 1-1/4" seal to ride on. The spindle is about 3" long, but the hub currently would require about 3-3/4" for the bearings plus about 1/4" for the seal diameter, so I'll be taking about an inch off the hub length. I'll document the final changes on here.

Wyatt, I'm wondering if this is exactly how you did you conversion. You stated there was a sleeve for the inner bearing, but I found that Northern has a hub with 1" bearings and a 1-1/4" seal. I'd bet you took the same path I'm taking.

Jerry

Don T.,

Do you still use your Merry Tiller? I have one that's been in the family forever. I remember when I was about 10, I could run that thing all day nearly effortlessly aside from the hand cramp for holding the clutch. I got it out about 5 years ago and tried to cultivate with it. That thing kicked my butt. I was working way too hard for some reason. I don't know if it's a difference in height vs. when I was kid or what. I haven't started it since because after about an hour of running the oil looked like the aluminum paint I've been using on the shed roof. Been thinking about putting a new engine on it and fixing the leak in the chain case just to get it going for old-times sake.

Jerry

Jerry Muncie Yep it still runs.mine has a spring and plunger bolt on the clutch so when you engage the clutch the bolt holds the handle. I like to use the tiller and found that 1 hand is all you need to run it just a little up or down pressure and it will dig till the little 3.5 sits down in the soil.It will bury the tines real easy. I don`t have a big garden anymore but i keep the tiller and do a few other garden for friends. Later Don T

Don, I think I lost the technique in the 20 or so years that I didn't run mine. I've since been spoiled by the Troy-Bilt and the BCS. I need to get the Merry Tiller going just for cultivating duties. I have tines to go from about 8" wide up to 3 feet. Jerry

Jerry M I paid $100.00 for it in 1975 so it don`t owe me a thing. Oil changes every year and the chain case still will weep a little oil. I have a small plow with it for making drills. Well its late and have to find the hydro handle and get my 129 running in the am. There is much to do when the leaves start to fall. Later Don T
old.gif

12.47am

Anyone seen charlie? Havent seen him in a couple days I guess.
confused.gif
wave.gif

Josh Ott, the cap would be cool! Thats a 38" deck in the back ground. I have the 48" on the 123 that I mowed with yesterday.

Frank, yes I got bit by the archive bug!

Josh; The belt does not like rotation change on my 169. Also i have found that if the deck hasn't been used for a while I run it fully raised for about 5 minutes at one third throtle, to let the belt warm up and clean the pulleys.

179757.jpg

If your Kohler is kicking back against the starter with a fully charged battery (low battery will give weak spark, but won't change the timing) and you're sure the timing is correct (first thing to check is point gap, then use a timing light), you should check the ACR, as that's what its purpose is - to lower the compression so that that weak old Delco S/G (it was REALLY designed as a generator, not a starter) could spin that K-Motor over. If the ACR is kicking out at too low an RPM, or not holding in at all, you'll have a miserable time, especially in cold weather.......

Looking for some help finding a serial number on a 1450 and a 1650 IH cub cadet. These were my dad's. He passed away a few years ago, and i'm trying to gather some info on them. Don't know where to look for the serial number, and don't know much of anything about them other than they look just like most of the photo's that are being posted.

That serial # should be on a tag on the left side of the frame. About where your left foot is when you're sitting on the tractor.

Back