• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 17, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbuttke

displayname
Lonny Buttke
KENtucky

The rear faceing ags on the 123 did a good job diggin in when it came time to push the bucket to get it loaded.
The biggest problem I was having was backing up the incline with a load of sand/dirt.

Charlie,
Thanks!! I'm lookking at the Verdesteins. Might have to look at the Stones too.

Rick - That's a starter not a S/G. It looks like the gear has been replaced with a pulley to run the belt. I did that once with a motorcycle starter to fire up my little Kohler/Lincoln welder.

Ken,
Most starters aren't set up to turn all the time. Has it got some type of slip clutch built onto it or does it turn all the time? Seems to me if it were turning all the time it would either create some type of electricity or would burn out the bushing in the ends.

Ole Joe has no generator, LOL
The top solenoid/Bendix kicks out which in turn pushes the starter motor away to tighten the belt on said starter motor which turns the engine to fire it.
Funny thing is, once you charge the battery, it will go all summer, set through the winter and half way through the next summer without having to charge it again.
Oh yea, did I mention that it has a 4' 7" turning radius!!!!

Hey guys, 128 redue has come to a creep. Too much work = one tired cub owner. I am finding great parts and have received some from our sponsers. Search feature/Faq's page is getting it done with my Q's. I have my "correct" paint picked out and I am going with it. Test sprays look like gold to me. 61 degress here on the eastern shore of Maryland, this is October right?

Hi guys!
New to forum, will post some pics of my cub soon
I have a '76 cadet 85 special edition im just starting to restore. It was a back yard heap somebody gave to me, but I already got it to crank & mow
happy.gif

going to bed now, but i will be here often....have a great night!
Randy

Somebody put another quarter in the machine.

Charlie's CRS has kicked in again and he can't remember where the forum is...

Hi Randy H: Welcome!! Your 85 Special is a Cadet Rear Engine Riding Lawn Mower (RER) and is not a Cub Cadet Garden Tractor. The difference between an 85 and the 85S is that your 85S has the narrower 28" (side discharge only) deck and is capable of the optional rear bagger. Please post your photos and inquiries about your 85S in the Lawn Tractor section. Not only will you be in the right place but will get much quicker and better answers.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Lonny B.,
Regarding your "asphalt/tire road marking experience".
I'm assuming you're talking about the same loader, so the total weight & its weight distribution on either tractor should be the same.
I'd guess that the difference was in the front tires.

Could it of been caused by:
-- older/newer, softer/harder front tires;
-- different air pressures; or,
-- different styles of tire threads?

Ryan W
beerchug.gif

Lonny, the 7hp in a 72 weighs less then the 12hp in the 123 so the total weight on the front tires will be less on the 72. Now if you stuffed a 12hp in that 72 chassis, kindly disregard my comments.
happy.gif

Charlie, did you modify 'OL Joe, or did he come to you that way? And just HOW in the horsefeathers do you get a 4'7" turning radius? What keeps the belt on when the motor is running? is the slack just enough to keep it in the sheaves?

Noel, I'll answer for Charlie. Charlie bought "Ole Joe" from a guy named Joe Ackerman. Back in the 1960's Joe A., was an <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> mechanic and bought the 123 new. Over the years when stuff broke or didn't work the way Joe thought it should, he "fixed" it. The steering gear is, I believe from a Chrysler as is the starter. In his later years Joe was a mechanic at a Chrysler dealer. My brother works with a good friend of Joe's and when he had his Cub Cadets up for sale my brother told me about it. I told Charlie about it and Charlie bought the 123 from Joe. Unfortunately a few months later Joe passed away. Charlie named the 123 "Ole Joe" in honor of Joe A.

Charlie, did I get all that correct?

Noel, There is a retainer over the pulley on the starter that keeps the belt from coming off when the starter is not engaged.

68937.jpg

Kraig,
Yepper you sure did.
I still wish he could have hung on a little longer so I could have tilled his garden.
sad.gif

Neat story. Joe must have been quite a character. I was also noticing the dual sheave on the hydro unit, too. Is that another Joe-ism?
BTW, When did IH stamp the narrow frames for the hydro unit? My TC-113 shows it as an option on a 100, but none of my 100's have the holes in the frame.

Kraig-
Neat story, thanks for telling it...

So, you said Joe has Cub Cadets and Charlie bought the 123. What happened to the rest of his Cub CadetS?

Were they all <strike>modified</strike> "improved" like the 123?

Art, Joe also had a 105 with similar mods. Here's some photos of Joe's 105. I'll let you find the mods. Not sure who bought it.

68949.jpg

68950.jpg

68951.jpg

68952.jpg

68953.jpg

Charlie, lets see. Seat mounted to fenders. Starter and ring gear from? (Chrysler?) Notice that the bracket for the starter is welded to the frame. Looks like a similar steering setup to 'Ol Joe. What is the wiring underneath the battery box for? Oh, wait, that is a ballast resistor!

Latest posts

Back