Archive through October 12, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hydroharry

displayname
Harry Bursell
Hey Charlie - thanks for checking on the hour meter. Very interesting that they were a Cub Cadet exclusive. Quite a meter.

HARRY - The three handed hour meters were used as far back as the Super M series that I know of, circa 1952/'53, I'd have to check my Operator's manuals for the M to see if they were an option prior to that. Back then they attached to the engine. The later models of tractors all had tachometers as options then standard equipment and the hour meters were the rotating dial type like old car speedometers and incorporated into the tach. I "THINK" the first tach/hour meters were available on the 300/400 models in 1955 or '56, and I know they were available on 350/450's because our 450 had a tach/hour meter.

Back in May '69, about a year after Dad bought the Super H I bought a used distributor drive housing from my local IH dealer, a new 300/350 tach/hour meter & cable and my Super H has had a tach/hour meter since that time. The engine driven hour meters were more accurate IMO, they basically counted engine revolutions, not just clocked time. The hour meter on my Super H records an hour of use as 100,000 crankshaft revolutions, not sixty minutes. The three-handed and later rolling number hour meters that run electrically are just clocks that run when the ignition is on.

Our old JD R diesel had a similar 3-handed hour meter on it also, think it was a 1949 vintage. Hour meters were more common on diesel engine equipment than gas powered.

Has any one ever disassembled the three handed hour meter to see how they work? Just curious I guess, the wifes machine has one that doesn't work.
1a_scratchhead.gif
. Maybe there sealed to prevent 'tampering'.

Brian, go ahead take it apart for us, I would like to know if there is a way to reset cub hour meters

Hi guys, My 129 has a funny rattle which seems to be coming from the front of the engine area. I have been reading recently about the balance gears. Any tips on how to tell for sure if that is the problem. From what I am reading I assume that these are not necessary for operation? Can these be removed without taking the engine out? Put tractor up on jackstands and remove the oil pan? Thanks for the help.

There are laws in place for hour meter fraud ya know.

Any person who, with intent to defraud another, disconnects, resets, or alters, or causes to be disconnected, reset, or altered, the hour meter of any used farm implement, including but not limited to tractors and combines, with intent to conceal or change the actual hours of operation, shall be guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. A person convicted of a second or subsequent violation of this Section shall be guilty of a Class 4 felony.

Come on Charlie - the key part of that is "with intent to defraud another". We're talking about fixin' the darn thing.

Brian H - your "funny rattle" towards the front of the engine, is most likely your PTO clutch. The little anti-rattle clips usually fall out over time. It's nothing to worry about.
Now, with regard to your balance gears, the engine has to be removed from the tractor to get at them. Your oil pan serves as the base on the engine which gets bolted to the tractor frame.

Nuts! When the wife figures out that I put as much time on her tractor as I have she's going to have me put in jail! On second thought maybe it's better off staying broken.
err.gif

I am the one who mentioned resetting my hour meter that I never intend to part with and would never defraud anyone.

So I guess it's safe to say there is no easy way to reset my IH cub cadet hour meter.

lets switch to what Hydro said can we "fix" the hour meters in any way.

Has anyone had theres apart?? whats it like inside?

Jeremiah, can we look forward to picture soon???

This is why I like this site ! Frank C sent me over an hr meeter out of a tractor and IF I remember correctly he connected it yo a battery and let it run till all 0000`s came up . Thanks Frank for the meter !

Jeremiah - are you sure you looked close at the hour meter? If you have to use a dremel to get it apart then I don't know how you'd get it back together (and stay together). Are you sure you can't just remove something from the back and use some type of surgical microscope to view the internals. Let us know if you see any jewels, or if you happen to see a broken rubber band.

Charlie - I was a little quick on the draw there. On 2nd thought it is nice to know there is a law (or what ever it may be called) to help protect some of us. And surprisingly it's written such that it is somewhat reasonable. Now, who gets the call to enforce it? Just so we know. I'm not so concerned with some of our older units, but I see some newer stuff being toughted has having very low hours, which I find hard to believe.

Jeff B.
Hook it up to your reverse polarity flux capacitor and be done with it.
Just make sure to hook it to the positive side of the negative terminal first.
biggrin.gif

Charlie is it required that I do this at a percise time like maybe 12:00
wink.gif

While stripping down a 128 I found these cub things I did not know.

The engineers left a hole in the frame to remove the roll pin on the clutch/brake lever
246818.jpg

and that there was a drain plug on the gear drive
246819.jpg

JEFF - There are places that can repair hour meters, not sure about the three-handed ones, but the ones with rows of numbers for sure.

You could always put a new hour meter in. My 982 had a new hour meter with 0016.2 hours on it when I bought it. But then it had a rebuilt B48G Onan, new drive shaft & rag joints, new dash, new amp meter, new intake manifold, new paint, four new tires, new seat, so it was almost brand new.

Gary...LOL No problem,It didnt seem to harsh. I'm no pro either,dont make a living with my tools,maybe a few bucks here & there.I think have good tools,theres a few cheap things here & there but mostly craftsmen,some mac & snap on. ZI was one of those kids that wanted tools for christmas. lol alot of my friends thought I was weird,I would buy tools & chainsaws weed eaters etc when I was 14. lol Always had dirtbikes &4-wheelers.Use to help dad work on his harleys.I dont have evey tool out there,but I'd say I got a good amount.Like I mentioned,I try to buy craftsmen cause I know if it breaks,you can take it back,no questions asked.Honestly I think there ratches are junk. The guts either strip out or explode. lol Thats all I meant.Eventually all screwdrivers will get boogered up.I got a friend that kinda got into tools when he seen whatr I had,he called it collecting. Thats cool but he really never worked on anything,and when he did,he was afraid of grease,puttin a cheater on it, polished them etc. Yeah I clean my tools,but come on I use my tools.They have battle scars. lol isnt that why we pay xtra for tools guarenteed 4 life? Somtimes you gotta make what you have work, even if you gotta cut a wrench down & grind the open end down to make it fit. lol got plenty of craftsmen wrenches that were customized. lol I dont think I know a gearhead that hasnt broke a few tools lol.To sum it up,why buy good tools if you dont use em,even if they break.

Latest posts

Back