• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through October 11, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahunt

displayname
matt hunt
this might be the wrong area to post in, I'm looking for some homemade trailmower pics, used swishers seem to bring $1000 or more, I think I can build one much, much cheaper. I cant justify spending that much for something that will have little use

I was putting some parts and pieces on the K-321 for the 149 and was wondering if the coil itself has to be grounded or just the condenser. I ask because a new Bosh coil has a nicely painted exterior and it's holder does not touch metal on the coil itself.
dunno.gif

Richard Tunison

This will be short (NO).
clappy.gif
old.gif

Just the condenser!

Richard Tunison

Do yourself a favor later and buy some Nolax for all your grounds. No issues as long as you don`t lossen the connection. I have used it now since it was posted here. Time will tell,but anything that will not let the clean ground give problems later is good for me.
old.gif

( Nolax , Anti-Oxident joint compound)

Thanks for the quick response Donald!! I can now continue with putting things back on the engine tin. I use a product from ACE hardware that is a dielectric grease.... can't think of the name,,, but I always use it on connections on the Cub's and when I do any electrical stuff in the house or garage!!.

Richard Tunison
Its best to have all your grounds protected.A bad ground can be a pain out in the yard where meters and tools have to be luged.Wife gets a kick out of me sometimes. all good lol. I always put parts in zip bags and notes lol, I`am older than you and IF some has to put back together what I have dismantled, they can if they can read.Have fun with your tractor. Its a blast to turn the key and it purrs lol.
old.gif

Terry,
Maybe this will help...
214641.jpg

Notice where the three point bracket mounts.
214642.jpg

Lewis,,please,no worries.

Super job on that Cub!. I see you are using stainless hardware here and there as I do ??? and I'm sure you will remove the over spray on the hydro..LOL,, and I love the Yankee ingenuity to get the Cub to working height!! I must say, narrow frames look like a pain to work on!!

SS hardware...most of the hardware-store variety SS bolts are a fairly soft alloy that are not very strong, and may in fact be weaker than Grade 2 bolts. I would not replace any Grade 5 or Grade 8 bolts with SS unless you know that the alloy they are made of has comparable strength to the bolts they are replacing.

Richard T,
Thanks,Also I took care of the over spray.
Matt G
No stainless bolts or nuts were used.They are some new though.I tried to use as much of the old bolts as possible.
Don T.
A few more to wet your appetite.
214657.jpg

214658.jpg

214659.jpg

214660.jpg

matt, you'd probably start with one or two broken LGT's. Use the front wheels and a vertical shaft enginet and the deck. If you can weld, then you can build a square-tube frame to support the deck. There would be plenty of spare parts left.

Thanks, Lewis. I might have to get another lift arm for the 3 point as I'm sure they're different from the older narrow frames like the 1x2/1x3, 1x4/1x5 series to the 1x6/1x7 series. I will also have to get a bracket or make one to mount the 3 point...if I do this or just not put the 3 point on this one.

Lewis Palma

That tractor is coming along real nice. Wife upset a full cup of coffee on my confusher key board.
bash.gif
It took days 3 to dry out lol.
old.gif

RICHARD T. - Ahhh NF's aren't that bad to work on, they seldom ever need to be worked on, exp. gear drives.
roflol.gif

MATT G. - Yes, WISE advice on the SS fasteners. Plus SS without some sort of lube, even Lock-Tight can gaul in threaded holes, almost as bad or worst as steel in aluminum.

Most of the hardware I buy for home use anymore is Grd #5 and I spend the Big Bucks for Grd. #8 if it's something I don't want to ever break. Tough to find grd #5 carriage bolts in a hardware store however. Lots of applications for them on CC's & attachments.

Terry,
All 3 pts are the same for all the narrow frames.The 1X6,1X7 use the U shape bracket that bolts to the frame. The others already have the mounting holes in the frames/seat pans.
Don T.
That 107 has been finished for 2yrs now.Terry Reed's calendar has a picture of it in it.

Lewis, ill trade ya my 107. It has an hour meter and a bored 0.20 cylinder. all it needs is a valve and a rod and rings! lol nice job on it!

For those who were asking about wagon hoist drawings last week, the discussion and plans have been moved to the sandbox under Don's dump trailer thread to avoid OT posting on the main board.

Dennis, gear drive Cubs? I thought they only made HYDROS.
fence.gif

I'm going to put a plastic cover on this K-321 as it's ready to install in the 149.

214698.jpg

Now I get into my least favorite part of refurbishing these wonderful machines. Body work and painting but accomplishing that over the "winter" will fill in my spare time. I need to install a proper compressed air system also. I'm leaning towards copper for piping. Any yay's or nay's out there in Engineer land. My compressor makes 125 psi.

Latest posts

Back