• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 10, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe D
Have you put the deck and belts back on? I recently rebuilt one and it freewheeled with the engine until the deck and belts were back on with enough drag to stop it. There is no brake like on the electric pto clutches. With the clutch disengaged check to see if it spins by hand(with some friction) without turning the engine.

Kraig,
Where can you purchase the wide rim tri rib? I've looked and can't find.
Thanks,
David

Roland - thanks for the info. My neighbor was planning on getting the axle welded when I talked to him. Maybe it's worth combing thru e-bay for a replacement.

KRAIG, SCOTT - I can't comment on the 12 Hp flywheel on the 14 Hp engine yet but the 14 Hp flywheel worked great on the 12 Hp engine. It didn't rev up as fast but did run smoother....and seemed to hold RPM better.

Glen, sorry to have confused you. As Scott pointed out "1x8/9" is our shorthand for the first wide frame Cub Cadet series. Here are some examples of what the numbers mean: a model 108 is a 10hp gear drive, a model 149 is a 14hp hydrostatic drive. The first two numbers are the HP the third number if "odd" means gear drive and if "even" means hydrostatic. Sooooo another series run of Cub Cadets, the 1x4/5 series a 125 is, yep you guessed it a 12hp hydrostatic drive. Here are some of our common shorthands for model series "70/100", "71, 1x2/3", "72, 1x4/5", "73, 1x6/7", "86, 1x8/9" note that in this version of the shorthand I also included the single hp models, the 70, 71, 72, 73 and 86, these were all gear drive the first 4 had 7hp and the 86 had an 8hp. Then there is the "Quiet Line" series aka "QL" that included the models 800, 1000, 1200, 1250, 1450 and 1650 (some might include the 1100 too but I won't get into that here). With these the "00" at the end indicates gear drive and the "50" at the end indicates hydrostatic drive. Then we move onto the "82 series" and things can get more confusing. Stick with us, eventually this will all make sense. Hmmm, to bad we don't have any secret decoder rings.
happy.gif

I've never looked for where the wider tri ribs are available from. The red tractor that I posted the photo of belongs to Brad Datisman, perhaps he'll see this and post info on them. I think Steve Blunier might also have a set of them on one of his tractors.

For those of us that miss Charlie, we can all console ourselves that we're not with him. Assuming he's gone fishing in Northern Minnesota in October. . . it's not shirt sleeve weather (read 30' temps and biting wind chill on a cold lake) and it's too early for Ice shacks (read 30' temps and biting wind chill on a cold lake). So what's my point??? I guess I'm not missing him enough to go out there and find him. . .
roflol.gif

Glen C:

"what on earth do those measurements mean (1x8/9)in laymans terms.."

This is a abbreviation for the model series of Cubs. In the above, it is referring to anything that ended in 8 or 9.
The "x" means you can substitute a: 0, 2, 4, or 6, depending on the horse power.

So, it means it covers:
86, 108, 128,
109, 129, 149, 169
The model 86 in this series, that don't fit this nomenclature. I have never figured out why is wasn't a model "88".
Instead of typing all that out, one simply types: 1x8/9 and it covers it all.

In addition, other abbreviations are:
OCC is referred to the Original Cub Cadet
70/100 Models 70 & 100
1x2/3 all models ending with a 2 or 3 [Incl: model 71]
1x4/5 all models ending with a 4 or 5 [Incl: model 72]
1x6/7 all models ending with a 6 or 7 [Incl: model 73]
1x8/9 all models ending with a 8 or 9 [Incl: model 86]
QL is the four digit model numbers, ie: 1250 or aka: Quietlines
82 is the models that end with 82, ie: 582, 682 782 etc

Ron, thanks! Scott's brother emailed me yesterday with the info I was looking for, but a backup is good.
happy.gif

Greetings,

I need a set of tire chains (maybe by Friday morning
thumbsup_old.gif
), two link, but I'm not sure what size. How do I measure tires to find the right chains and is there any other details other than two link/four link and size that I should pay attention to when looking for the right set. I'm thinking I have original or replacement stock turf tires that came with my 1650.

Is there an auxilary hydraulic pump/system that can be added to a 149? Since I didn't get too many ideas on a steel fence post remover, maybe I'll try my hand at building one using hydraulics.

I Have the 16x6.50-8 tires on the front of my 149 now... So in other words I got da bigguns and want da smaller un's So... What size ribz are on Brad Datisman's Cub (RED ONE), and what are the measurements for said wheels, I think taht was my original question, but I dunno for sure...
dunno.gif

ERIC - tire chains are sized by the sizes of tires they fit over. The tire size is embossed on the sidewall. Your CC either has 23-8.50 X 12 or 23-10.50 X 12 rear tires. I priced new chains for 23-8.50's last winter at over $100 so I bought a used set of ATV chains for some 22-9.00 X 11 ATV tires for $25. "Close" also works on tire chains as well as hand gernades... You'll find a single size of chain fits several different tire sizes.

How does the rear gearbox that you use with a tiller in a wideframe work, does it use one huge belt from the front PTO er what?
help.gif

Glen, Brad's tires are the 16x6.50-8, same as your 149 has. BTW, Brad's tractor is actually a Cub Cadet 169 made up to look like a BIG <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> tractor. I'll post a photo of the whole tractor so you can see the actual size better.

Latest posts

Back